The GoGo Board

A great place to meet fellow travel enthusiasts, make new friends or stay in touch with old ones. Please post a message or sound-off. We would love to hear from you!!!

The GoGo Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
grooved pavement - be careful

Hey Gang,
The owner of a site I belong to, "Good Old RV's", Pat Daly was in a wreck that totaled his tow vehicle and trailer caused by grooved payment. Not exactly sure what grooved payment is or why they have it. Below is what Pat writes and the address to see the photos is http://www.goodoldrvs.com/.
Carey
ps: To make matters worse he got a
ticket for something thats not his fault. So
disgusted with our laws and law enforcement.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, we now know why folks hate the grooves in Colorado's interstate 70. The grooves were definately responsible for us loosing all control and going into an uncontrollable trailer whip and crash after simply merging onto I-70 in Limon, Colorado at what the locals call "wreck curve"; a standard ashpalt downhill onramp at Limon, Colorado merging not too smoothly into I-70's concrete grooved pavement. Aparently we were the 4th or 5th trailer in 7 months to loose control and wreck there.... And, the very professional and nice State Trooper said that "since there was an accident he had to site us!" and could not blame the road conditions.

We escaped with our lives, but bumper pull trailers are probably not in our future for our usual long haul trips of 2 to 3,000 miles. Neither is Colorado's I70 dangerous grooved interstate highway in the eastern part of the state.

Note:
- Our tires were the very best
- Tires check and aired up to spec the very morning of the wreck
- Our trailer hitch was the best and may have saved us from rolling over
- Our gross vehicle weight was 4,600 pounds, about 60% of our beloved GMC Yukons 7,500 pounds.
- Factory installed tow package
- No tires blown
- No cross wind... never a problem anyways; we've towed Miss Funfinder through blizzards in 40 mph winds with no problem.

We were lucky to walk away from this one alive. So, if you EVERY encounter grooved pavement anywhere slow wayyy, wayyy down or get off it right away so you don't wind up like we did.

We had virtually no warning and it was all over in less that 4 or 5 seconds and you can see from the pictures how we wound up.

A total loss on both our bumper pull trailer and our sweet GMC Yukon.

Guess I gotta get back in the saddle again soon. Can't let a near death experience slow you down when the road calls. Hmm, vintage class A, Class C or maybe a bus conversion to restore? We'll let your know.

PS. A great big Thanks! to the Limon EMT's, Fire Department, I70 Road Crew, the State Troopers and to the 8 Eastbound travelers on I70 who pried us out of our rig.