Salcha Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Home Insurance

It seems that Allstate is not going to renew my policy this year since the parent company is no longer offering fire and liability coverage in our area... So, Im shopping for a new company. Any recommendations? I have tried State Farm and they say, not in Salcha!

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Re: Home Insurance

Hi,
We use Rural Alaska Insurance; their parent company is Umialik out of ANC. Office here in FAI is off 5th and S. Cushman, just east of the bus station.

We just got a renewal notice that had a slip in it which stated they don't offer flood insurance. Everyone else is only too happy to offer that if you need it. An elevation certificate is something like $500.

You might ask them what the replacement cost per square foot is these days, so you can make sure you have adequate coverage. I updated mine a few years ago, and it didn't break the bank, but we've got an older stick house.

While at it, if you happen to be in a flood-prone area, the FNSB has a new ordinance for Floodplain Management, Title 15.04. It's helpful for retrofitting if you're compelled; might help hold the premium down. Stupid question is the one that goes unasked.

Hope that helps!

Re: Home Insurance

Thanks MDS! I just received a quote from them late this afternoon so I'll work that tommorow. I'm glad you replied and that you have info on their company... makes it a bit easier. I will not need flood insurance since I'm not in a flood-prone area but thanks for the info.

Nick