NCBS Stolen & Missing Instrument Information Page

This is the Northern California Bluegrass Society's national infomation page for stolen and missing musical instruments. This page can be used to announce the theft or other loss of musical instruments, updates on subsequent investigations, and news about the recovery of instruments. The forum is HTML-enabled, so that links may be added to other websites that contain pictures and other detailed information about the instruments. The NCBS does not warrant the accuracy of any information posted. Contact the source for details. Good luck to all!

NCBS Stolen & Missing Instrument Information Page
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stelling Masterflower Banjo 2001 Serial No. 5189, stolen 8/4/07 in Santa Cruz, CA.

My 2001 Stelling Masterflower banjo and bright yellow Calton touring case were stolen from my car Saturday night 8/4/07 in Santa Cruz, California. The instrument is a walnut resonator 5-string banjo with chrome plating, serial number 5189. If you have seen this instrument please e-mail Chris Cairns at chris@fireheartpro.com or call the Santa Cruz Sheriff's Office - Paul Tashiro (831) 454-2314. Reference Case Number 07-7527.

I miss her already and have nightmares about some kid violating her with a bad rendition of "Stairway to Heaven." I'm keeping faith that I'll see her again.

Thank you for your help,
Chris Cairns
The Chris Cairns Band
E-mail: chris@fireheartpro.com
Phone: (805) 448-3328 (after 8/8/07, they stole my phone too!)
E-mail: chris@fireheartpro.com

RECOVERED: Stelling Masterflower Banjo 2001 Serial No. 5189, stolen 8/4/07 in Santa Cruz, CA.

From an E-Mail from Chris Cairns 3/1/2008:

Stolen Banjo Recovered!
It's strange how things happen. So, my banjo got stolen in Santa Cruz in August. I let it go but I had a funny feeling that I'd see it again some day. Then, in October, the Santa Cruz Detective assigned to my case calls me. "I think we found your banjo" he says. He runs through quite a few questions asking me to describe the case, the instrument, etc. and then says... "Well I guess this must be your Stelling in the yellow fiberglass case, it has your name printed on it..." What a strange phone call. It turns out that they had been using telephone surveillance on some guy who had attempted to solicit a value for a Stelling banjo over the phone. And then, just like Emeril, "Bam!" he's arrested and in jail. See.. wiretapping works people... who would've thought.Then, after some Abu Grabe-type Congress approved tourture techniques, the thief admits that he has a storage facility with tons of stolen items inside it. One of them was my banjo in the yellow Calton case. I retreived the banjo and it is in excellent condition. The thief will be facing 15 - 20 years behind bars since he was connected to at least 9 felony burglaries in and around the area where my banjo was stolen.As the detective said, it is rare that stolen merchandise finds its way back to the original owner. I am truly grateful for everyone's good wishes and prayers that have now been answered. What a treat it is to have my baby back in my arms again!