Maidenhead's Nicholsons Car Park to take six months to demolish
Nicholsons Broadway Car Park was closed in December 2022 after parts of the ceiling fell down.
The area was quickly closed off for "health and safety" reasons "for the foreseeable future".
The structure has stood closed off to the public to this day, with the then council leader Andrew Johnson having said it would be a “colossal waste of money” to repair the car park when it’s going to be demolished anyway as part of the redevelopment of the Nicholsons shopping centre.
In July the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead council voted to demolish the car park, with plans being submitted including a time frame for the works.
Project manager Kiran Hunjan at RBWM Company Ltd has put in the planning application on behalf of the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead.
In the letter, a red line has outlined the area set for demolition, which appears to include a number of stores along King Street.
Hunjan said: "The building on the Site previously served as a car park primarily for Nicholsons Shopping Centre as well as the rest of Maidenhead town centre.
"The car park has been closed since December 31, 2022, due to structural issues causing health and safety concerns which are unable to be remediated.
"The Site is also part of a wider regeneration plan for the shopping centre which was granted planning consent in October 2022."
The council are currently seeking to determine whether prior approval is needed before beginning the demolition process, which will take approximately six months.
During the demolition of the car park and existing buildings, Broadway will see a road closure for one week to enable the safe demolition of the circular access ramp.
Appropriate notices for the road closure will be submitted by the appointed contractor.
All other works will take place from within the red line or adjacent council-owned land which has been made available for this project.
This will limit any further impact on the road network.
A detailed health and safety plan is currently being produced which will include an asbestos survey.
Following the demolition, the council plans to reinstate the site as a temporary car park until wider redevelopment is brought forward.
The temporary car park will be ground floor only.
Any rubble from the demolition is to be recycled where possible.