Discussion Forum

A meeting place for MacAuliffes and their descendants from around the world. Anything pertaining to MacAuliffe, McAuliffe and other variations of the name can be posted here. Share your views or ask questions about the website, clann history, clann gatherings, family connections etc. If you have entered from outside The MacAuliffe Site you can find it here

If forum titles are not showing click on Index and select from options available. Please select a forum that best suits the topic of your post

Use back button to return to previous page or go to The MacAuliffe Site homepage.

Ancestor Search
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mc Auliffe- Ballynoe, Co. Cork, IRELAND

Hi There,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with any information about the McAuliffe family in Ballynoe. Are there McAuliffe's still in the area?

My Great-great grandmother was Julia Regan nee Mc Auliffe from Ballynoe. She was born in 1865. Her parents are listed on her birth cert as John and Kate (Catherine) Mc Auliffe. On John and Kate's marriage cert (1864), I found Kate's father was called Matthew Scanlon and John's father was Thomas Mc Auliffe. In the 1901 Census John is listed as being a widower and farmer in Ballymonteen in Ballynoe living with his son Matthew, Matt's wife Annie and their daughter Kate b. 1899. I have a feeling Kate's family may have been from a neighbouring area especially Tallow or Lismore. I was wondering if any of this sounds familiar to anybody?

Also my relations seem to think they remember Julia saying the Mc Auliffe's had some kind of shop or store which burnt down in later years killing alot of the family members.... does any of this sound familiar? I can't find any reference to a fire in Ballynoe but records of something like that probably wouldn't have lasted or be online- also may be remembered wrong and could be the Scanlon side.

I can't be sure but I do believe that Julia may have had at least four siblings possibly named:

Ellen Mc Auliffe, Matthew Mc Auliffe, Thomas Mc Auliffe and Mary Mc Auliffe.

If any of this sounds familiar or you have any information in general to the area or history please get on to me.

You can email me directly at kayeighmnicole@gmail.com

Thanks!