Discussion Forum

A meeting place for MacAuliffes and their descendants from around the world. Anything pertaining to MacAuliffe, McAuliffe and other variations of the name can be posted here. Share your views or ask questions about the website, clann history, clann gatherings, family connections etc. If you have entered from outside The MacAuliffe Site you can find it here

If forum titles are not showing click on Index and select from options available. Please select a forum that best suits the topic of your post

Use back button to return to previous page or go to The MacAuliffe Site homepage.

Management
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Acknowledging Influential McAuliffes

There are too many McAuliffes who have done or are doing amazing things around the world. I came to that conclusion when I was researching for the website and looking at those who deserve to be acknowledged on the site's Hall of Fame and Hall of Merit. Both halls already feature McAuliffes who have made significant achievements in their lives. There are others not featured on the site who have also distinguished themselves in their fields. Who to put on and who to leave off? That's the question I now ask myself. If one only has a small number to pick from then the answer is easy - put them all on. But I'm discovering that it's not like that. Then there's the question of who goes on the Hall of Fame and who on the Hall of Merit? That's a whole other question I don't have a definitive answer for.

Some candidates are easy - almost everyone has heard of General Anthony McAuliffe or Christa McAuliffe. They unquestionably achieved fame. But did you know that there were at least three other McAuliffes who were Generals in the US military? Two were Brigadier Generals and one a Lieutenant General. They are not internationally renowned like General Anthony C. McAuliffe but they still had distinguished careers that probably deserve inclusion in the Hall of Merit. That's just the military field; the academic field is another in which McAuliffes are featuring prominently. Where is the limit or should there be one?