Return to Website

Forum Zone
Australian Bird Forum

Leave a message here. Tell a bird related experience or story.
Do you have any comments, questions or something to discuss?
Look through other questions and reply with your point of view.
Visit back regularly to help others by joining in.
For Classifieds go to http://pub42.bravenet.com/classified/show.php?usernum=3595906780
To Upload and View bird Photo go to
http://pub42.bravenet.com/photocenter/addfiles.php?usernum=3595906780

Forum Zone
Australian Bird Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Infertile eggs?

Hello, I have a breeding pair of cockatiels. This is the first time they have bred and at the moment they are sitting on 4 eggs but they have been in the box now for about 5 weeks. One egg hatched 2 weeks ago but died the next day. I haven't candled the eggs yet but at this late stage they must be either dead in the shell or infertile and the two birds continue to sit on their eggs day and night. My question is do i just remove the eggs and the box from the cage? will the parents stress or get over it quickly. This is the first time i have bred birds.
Thanks for your help
Toni

Where are you from? Jimboomba Qld

Re: Infertile eggs?

Hi Toni 18 days after the 3rd egg is laid is when the first will hatch then every 2nd day after that 5 weeks is way over time so remove the eggs and the nest box as its too late in the season to let them breed again with summer coming on cheers Frank

Where are you from? Melbourne

hello there, In my view i'd take the eggs out and give them another go. I have seen this a few times in my aviary. This is caused by inexperianced parenting. As you can see in humans as well as any creature on earth. Back to the Q, Take the eggs, crack them and see what was fertile. Its a way on learning about your pair.

Another way you get infertile eggs is by the hen getting in early and dropping eggs. Only introduce a box when u see they are looking for one or u know there going to breed.

all the best Dean

Where are you from? Adelaide

Hi Toni,
just remove the eggs dont take the box away,
give them another go,you dont have to candle the eggs just hold them up to the light you will see if they are light or dark,,the fist will hatch after about 21 days,,dont do any thing untill about ten days after you know she has laid the last egg, just a few questions,,how big is the box,,what is in the bottom,and what do you feed them,,
arthur,

Where are you from? port lincoln sa

Thanks for all your replies. I took the eggs out of the box and candled them. 3 were in fertile and one was dead in the shell. It's sad really. I think the chick dieing in the shell was due to the **** always jumping off the eggs to chase away the kids when they went for a look. I kept the kids away when i saw what was happening but by then i think it was too late.
Their box is on the bottom of their cage. Should i raise it up off the floor? It has pine shavings in the bottom. The size is 11" deep by 11" high and 6" across. I have been feeding them seed, fruit and some wholegrain bread. Any advise for me would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Toni

Hi toni,, well the kids certainly spoiled that,,keep them right away from the birds while they are breeding,you say the box is on the floor,are they in an aviary if they are lift it off the floor,if in a cage it wont matter,,give them plenty of green stuff espcially silver beet when the young are born,best of luck next time,,and keep those kids away,lol
arthur,,
ps, where are you toni,

Where are you from? port lincoln sa

Thanks Arthur, you've all been a huge help. The cage is a large octagonal one raised off the floor about a metre so the nesting box is not right on the ground. I will leave it where it is since they have had no problem with where it is so far. Fingers cross for the next batch.
Toni
P.S I'm in Jimboomba Qld

Hi Toni I,m from Melbourne and have a lot of breeder friends in Qld.The season is definately over and your birds should be moulting now leaving the box there to encourage another clutch not recomended and i would looking forward to next season which your way commences May and ends late October too many losses Dead in Shell chicks are a result of breeding thru summer months in the northern states.cheers Frank
member ANCS,VCABs