Return to Website

FightNews Canada Boxing Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message or comment.

Forum: FightNews Canada Boxing Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Whatever Became of Kirk Johnson?

I always enjoyed watching Kirk Johnson work. He had a terrific form and gut-wrenching power that should have carried him to the top. I thought he was coming back a while ago but it seemed to fizzle. Anyone know how he's doing these days. I used to get news from one of his cousins, but nothing lately.

Email  
Re: Whatever Became of Kirk Johnson?

Kirk was on his way to becoming world champ but choked against John Ruiz. He was gonna make a decent payday against Lennox lewis but pulled out of that fight due to injury. Then he got a chance against Vitaly klitchko and came into the ring a fat slob! He threw his career away. His performance on HBO against the klitchkos was one of the most embarasing performances I have ever seen! Im sure if HBO would have know he was coming into the fight that out of shape they would have pulled him and found a replacement. Sad because he was very talented and fun towatch. His KO of Maskaev was classic

Sad thing is I've noticed that people who are born with god given talents such as Kirks tend to be lazy and don't always work the hardest in the gym. They rely on their talent alone to get them by. I've seen it at every level. Kirk would have been one of the best but he didn't have the right people around him to motivate him and keep him in the gym.

I'll never forget his KO of Maskaev. "What it is. What it is" haha classic.

If millions of dollars per fight, after years of slogging your way up through the ranks, isn't a big motivation I don't know what it would take?

I agree with you guys, the Ruiz fight should have been an easy win, but the Vitali fight absolutely ruined his reputation..... No excuses for coming in at least 20 lbs overweight for a fight of that magnitude... Pretty much threw away millions.
What is he now, must be very late 30s? Maybe not offically retired, but might as well be.

Quote: Kamala
If millions of dollars per fight, after years of slogging your way up through the ranks, isn't a big motivation I don't know what it would take?

I agree with you guys, the Ruiz fight should have been an easy win, but the Vitali fight absolutely ruined his reputation..... No excuses for coming in at least 20 lbs overweight for a fight of that magnitude... Pretty much threw away millions.
What is he now, must be very late 30s? Maybe not offically retired, but might as well be.

It's a shame but everybody makes mistakes, its about getting back up after you get knocked down. so
If he isn't retired he should fight on the March 24th super show, He could probably make 1 o r 2 grand for fighting on the card and work his way back up?

Is it worth it for him? You cant go from fighting on HBO making 100,000$ to 200,000$ a fight to fighting on a club show in halifax making 2000$. he should stay retired. hes over weight, had a bad knee injury and hes old. Be hard for him to come back unless he went back to the states and took boxing really serious for a couple of years with a good diet but even then who knows if he would stay healthy? The older yu get the more prone you are to injurys specialy with the intense training of a proffesional fighter. Kirk is good where he is at he had a good amateur and pro carear he should be remembered like that

Quote: Tony
Quote: Kamala

It's a shame but everybody makes mistakes, its about getting back up after you get knocked down. so
If he isn't retired he should fight on the March 24th super show, He could probably make 1 o r 2 grand for fighting on the card and work his way back up?

He made a few million, he saved his money from what I heard, he doesn't need to fight anymore if he doesn't want to.... I think the Ruiz fight was a million dollars, plus he had a big signing bonus with his promotion around the same time... He's set.
He made it, more than probably anybody else from this little Province.... He set himself and his family up, perfect combination of management & talent.
I wish it worked out for more guys the way it worked out for him.

i agree with kamala.just too bad things didnt happen different inthe ruiz fight .at least he would have had that title.

Does anyone know where I can view the Johnson vs. Ruiz fight? I missed it the night it was on and have always tried to find a copy of the fight. I even looked on Youtube. No where to be found.

On anther note I rewatched the Johnson vs. Klitschko fight. I'll tell ya, even though he was 20 pounds out of shape he still put up a good fight. He didn't run, took some of Klitschkos shots well and looked fast when he was throwing his big hooks. Just couldn't find his mark. I think Johnson was just so tired after two rounds the he more gave up and just stayed in the corner and let Klit. hit him. If you look at Johnson after the first round he is in the corner gasping for hair. Im shocked his trainers and dad would let him go into a fight without training.

Quote: Ghizmo78
Does anyone know where I can view the Johnson vs. Ruiz fight? I missed it the night it was on and have always tried to find a copy of the fight. I even looked on Youtube. No where to be found.

On anther note I rewatched the Johnson vs. Klitschko fight. I'll tell ya, even though he was 20 pounds out of shape he still put up a good fight. He didn't run, took some of Klitschkos shots well and looked fast when he was throwing his big hooks. Just couldn't find his mark. I think Johnson was just so tired after two rounds the he more gave up and just stayed in the corner and let Klit. hit him. If you look at Johnson after the first round he is in the corner gasping for hair. Im shocked his trainers and dad would let him go into a fight without training.

He definitely didn't run, but I'm not so sure that standing in front of Vitali was a great game plan either..... I'm not sure where you'd find the Ruiz fight other than youtube, you could try doing a google search and going from there maybe?

I met Kirk a couple of times,and the fealing I was getting was that the promoters kept him on the shelf and at least one time paid him step aside money to allow another fighter to take his place against the champ.Keeping a fighter like Kirk on the shelf was bad managing or it was intentional to keep him out of the picture .Kirk had fast hands and good skills good power,not to mention great potential.I honestly believe they let Kirk down ,did not have his best interest front and center.That's not only my take ,I've heard it mentioned a few times in the boxing community.But as mentioned Kirk fared quite well .I just think he was kept back in the end of his career.

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Email Forms   Free Guestbooks   Cheap Domains 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com