Return to Website

FightNews Canada Boxing Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message or comment.

Forum: FightNews Canada Boxing Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Palooka's Boxing Club Closing

Palooka's Boxing Club closing down at month's end

PHILIP CROUCHER
METRO HALIFAX
Published: September 08, 2011 9:20 a.m.

The Gottingen Street boxing club announced on Thursday morning it will cease daily operations effective Sept. 30.

“Palooka’s was opened as a not-for-profit with the intent to provide a safe haven for youth through accessible boxing programs. However, as the club evolved, we found that we weren’t able to reach the goals we set for ourselves,” Mickey MacDonald, founder of Palooka’s, said in a release.

“After much consideration, I feel it is time to regroup and look for more effective ways to assist the at-risk youth in our community.”

The release said the club will continue to offer regularly scheduled classes over the next few weeks and will host any previously scheduled events at the venue.

Sorry to hear about Palooka's closing. Thanks Mickey for the significant contribution you have made to the local and boxing communities.

Re: Palooka's Boxing Club Closing

deadly blow to boxing in hali but we will rebound thanks for the start mickey and good luck in ur next endevuor

Wow, this is unbelievable.
I mean what now for the building, he probably sunk a couple of million into that place? Is this going to be the end of live shows there as well? Hats off to Mr McDonald though he's put a ton of cash and work into this.

1 more nail in the coffin.

was mickey ever really doing this for the "youth at risk" i find that hard to believe when he pimps the place out with brand new state of the art equipment and charges a ton of money for membership. look at the old citadel boxing club that place produced winners and didn't have all the fancy treadmills. if he truly was doing this for the kids he could have put that money to much better use with much less.

now what for boxing? is there anywhere for fighers to train??!

... and if mickey is so into boxing why doesn't HE support and sponsor tyson to make something happen and bring great fights to halifax? something isn't adding up here.

Email  

I don't think that's fair to say Mickey was gouging at all Chingy. Memberships were dirt cheap compared to any other ratty boxing club I've seen in Halifax, Vancouver, or Toronto, and this is (was) one of the best training facilities in Canada.

Tyson got tons of support from that facility too.

It was a great club that stumbled out of the gate and was a bit mismanaged, but on the whole I don't think Mickey deserves anything but praise from the boxing community, or the community in general for the effort and money he put in to the place.

Email  

the prices are reasonable if you're targeting the executives, but man how is a "youth at risk" who lives on gottigen going to afford 600$ a year for a membership?
....unless they rob somebody?

Email  

Quote: Chingy
the prices are reasonable if you're targeting the executives, but man how is a "youth at risk" who lives on gottigen going to afford 600$ a year for a membership?
....unless they rob somebody?

The "youth at risk" were given FREE access !!
And why shouldn't the better off have to pay a comparable price to other facilities for membership ?

Personally, I believe the place was built with too high an expectation for success and on too large a scale. The revenue stream required to be successful was just never there.

Once again, however, Mickey needs to be thanked for all he has done and will continue to do in the future.

That's right. I forgot to mention that the kids who couldn't pay, didn't have to. (You also have to give Kelsey credit for volunteering to run the kids program.)

AND there was a classroom in the basement that he lent out for a free afterschool program

AND he hired on some guys to work around the gym to help them get back on their feet.

AND lent the space for fundraisers, and a fundraising bootcamp run by the heart and stroke foundation a few days a week

You can say what you want about Mickey and his other businesses, but Palooka's was nothing but good for everyone involved EXCEPT the guy flipping the bill, so put your jealousy and bitterness aside and stop looking for a way to crap all over an expensive bit of philanthropy from the man.

Email  

true that people give mickey all the praise in the world nothing but good to say from the cave camp

Quote: Chingy
was mickey ever really doing this for the "youth at risk" i find that hard to believe when he pimps the place out with brand new state of the art equipment and charges a ton of money for membership. look at the old citadel boxing club that place produced winners and didn't have all the fancy treadmills. if he truly was doing this for the kids he could have put that money to much better use with much less.

now what for boxing? is there anywhere for fighers to train??!

... and if mickey is so into boxing why doesn't HE support and sponsor tyson to make something happen and bring great fights to halifax? something isn't adding up here.

I don't think Mickey could openly sponsor anybody fighting in the pros, it would be a direct conflict of interest given his position within the Boxing Authority.
I dunno, I still think the toughest guys are forged in rundown old gyms with 50 year old bags, dirty floors & bloody towells lol..... Tried & true method for a hundred years now..... Theres still a ton of gyms with a lot of good people, lots of places to train.
I read in the paper today he put 3 million dollars into the place, and he was losing 250k a year to run it.... had 8 or 10 full time staff too...... Only had 15 kids registered, and he felt he was only subsidizing pro boxers, not getting to at risk kids.
As was previously posted though, he did have a hell of an overhead if he was losing 250k a year, I mean what would it take in terms of membership to break even?

Mick can't be involved in promotions because of his position w/ the Boxing Autority........unfortunate because w/ his connections in the business community he could no doubt do an excellent job of promoting and building boxing here!

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com