Return to Website

FightNews Canada Boxing Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message or comment.

Forum: FightNews Canada Boxing Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Why Boxing is more dangerous than MMA???

Has the ‘sweet science’ become too violent?

If you didn’t think combat sports were too violent before, you might after watching this video containing the 5 most jaw-shattering knockouts of 2010. For me as a fan of the sport genre, seeing someone getting clobbered in slow-mo at 500 frames per second is both beautiful and horrific at the same time.

The worst part about watching this series of replays is how much un-necessary punishment the fighter on the losing end of things sustained due to the standing eight count.

Allowing a fighter to stand back up after being knocked down/out and continue to compete eight short seconds later shows a complete disregard for their well-being. In most cases its very obvious to everyone watching that the only thing bringing the fighter back to his feet is a combination instinct and muscle memory. All too often a fighter will stand back up, brain still rattling around in their skull, and be allowed to step back into the fight only to get obliterated a few moments later.

Now, I am not going to pontificate about which sport, boxing or MMA, is the most dangerous for its competitors, because both have their moments. That being said, after watching this sort of replay it’s tragically obvious to see why so many boxers have died in the ring over the years.

What do you think? Is it time for the ‘sweet science’ to revise it’s archaic rules in the interest of it’s competitors safety? Or is boxing fine just the way it is? If people don’t like it should they go watch professional snooker instead? Have your say!

Related Links:

Split Decision UFC 134 Picks
Crazy MMA Knockouts

Re: Why Boxing is more dangerous than MMA???

Boxing is a brutal sport as is MMA.The fact that you are trying to breakdown or knock out somebody's nervous system should tell you to stay away.Human blodlust will alway's find a way to play two brute's off against each other for entertainment,whether it be boxing or any form of combat.Boxing need's a league to look into changing some rule's.I remember Ray Mercer Knocking out Tommy Morrison,and getting the creep's.If you have a finess fighter schooling a brute most of the crowd get upset,promoter's cater to the crowd and give them what they want.We are not so removed from the day's of Rome as we think.The mob still exist's,and there is money to made ,so you know somebody will move on it, sad but true.Boxing need's an overhaul to get rid of the uncaring greedy ******** and set up a League instead of expecting the comissioner's to fix it ,they are the problem.And like yourself the standing 8 should go,if you have to give a standing 8 that tell's me your not fit to go on.

THE BLUEPRINT FOR BOXING TRAGEDY
somebody getting knocked out is not a tragedy, but in real ring tragedies
sometimes it is a result of unexpected circumstances such as the case of
the DAVEY MOORE vs SUGAR RAMOS, and sometimes it is a result of
widespread issues where any number of them could have prevented the
event. The classic case of widespread fault was the tragic title fight
between EMILE GRIFFITH and BENNY KID PARET. That bout should
serve as a blueprint for anticipated boxing tragedy,

The sad long-term effect of this tragedy, that aside from Paret, the only
one that paid a heavy heavy price of emotional damage was Griffith.

# of deaths in MMA since it was first sactioned is 2 deaths.

# of deaths in boxing since 1890 is well over 1500. Boxing is averaging over 100 deaths a year.

On paper boxing seems to be more violent. Its heard to really judge at this time though as MMA is so new. Boxing has 10 times as many matches going on around the world both amature and professional. Its way to early to compare the violence of both sports at this time.

Just an interesting fact. There have been 497 deaths in the NFL from 1945 to 1999. Pretty violent sport if you ask me.

At the end of the day I love all combat sports and most sports in general. We all know the risk involved and make choices to compete in these sports. Its in us to compete like this and show our dominance and I dont think we will ever change. We will always want to see violence in a controled setting and will pay to see it.

Just to clarify a few items,1 a 8 count is for the refree to see if the fighter is able to continue,also if a rope stop someone from falling they automatic gets a 8 count,a flash knockdown is also another time and the boxer can be 100% fine to continue.
The sweet science have altered it's rules over and over but if you remove Boxing from the regulatory body there will be 10 times more deaths underground,as people loves fighting/Combats.
I do not like to compare apples and oranges as i like both.
Not everyone is built for the sweet science and it is for the true gladiators,I cannot skate so i do not play hockey.Just because someone enter a boxing ring does not mean he/she should be in it.We live in a culture that we want the opportunity to do "what the hell we want as it is our life"Mayweather,pac-man,gatti ..etc etc these are warriors and i love watching them,I do not have the right to choose their faith just as i do not tell the writter to ignore his/hers.i have had over 175 sanction fights and i personally I love this sport. we are becoming soft as humans,its ok to glorify guns,drugs and knives but we want to stop people from a fair dual match,i have no idea where the author of this post is going but if he/she wants to watch MMA go ahead,but boxing being here before him/her and no one is making he/she enter a Boxing ring,the choice is ours.We think it is ok for bankers/traders and gamblers to make millions but a ghetto guy making millions through honesty and hardwork is not good.BOXING IS THE SWEET SCIENCE..U DO NOT HAVE TO AGREE OR LIKE IT,LET THE ONES WHO DO ENJOY.

Quote: dewith
Just to clarify a few items,1 a 8 count is for the refree to see if the fighter is able to continue,also if a rope stop someone from falling they automatic gets a 8 count,a flash knockdown is also another time and the boxer can be 100% fine to continue.
The sweet science have altered it's rules over and over but if you remove Boxing from the regulatory body there will be 10 times more deaths underground,as people loves fighting/Combats.
I do not like to compare apples and oranges as i like both.
Not everyone is built for the sweet science and it is for the true gladiators,I cannot skate so i do not play hockey.Just because someone enter a boxing ring does not mean he/she should be in it.We live in a culture that we want the opportunity to do "what the hell we want as it is our life"Mayweather,pac-man,gatti ..etc etc these are warriors and i love watching them,I do not have the right to choose their faith just as i do not tell the writter to ignore his/hers.i have had over 175 sanction fights and i personally I love this sport. we are becoming soft as humans,its ok to glorify guns,drugs and knives but we want to stop people from a fair dual match,i have no idea where the author of this post is going but if he/she wants to watch MMA go ahead,but boxing being here before him/her and no one is making he/she enter a Boxing ring,the choice is ours.We think it is ok for bankers/traders and gamblers to make millions but a ghetto guy making millions through honesty and hardwork is not good.BOXING IS THE SWEET SCIENCE..U DO NOT HAVE TO AGREE OR LIKE IT,LET THE ONES WHO DO ENJOY.

Very Good Dewith !! I hear ya !

Couldn't of said it any better

Email  

Indy car champ just died, how many deaths from motorsport, mountain biking, boating, skate boarding,
etc., etc.

Boxing is as safe as the Refs & ringside docs allow it to be....many referees appear to have little or no training and I have seen some horrible things over the decades live here in Hfx, as well as televised on TV.

But no one can convince me that an unconcious MMA fighter being elbowed w/ a body drop to the head is safer than boxing...horsecrap!

A boxer is standing when being punched while in MMA a fighter is being punched or elbowed with their head against the mat....just consider which must put far more impact on the brain!

wheres the 8 COUNT IN MMA if an mma fighter gets dropped the other fighter gets to jump on him right away and continue the beating,and thats not dangerous,come on gimme a break ive been behind the scenes at many mma events guys r getting hurt all the time its just not getting reported everybodys quick to attack boxing tho what a joke

Some good posts here guys, interesting stuff.

IMHO a head shot is a head shot, its going to take some time but we will see MMA fighters wind up like Quarry etc etc..... Human head isn't designed to be hit repeatedly.
IMHO just a matter of time until we see a big name MMA fighter get killed or parylized ( spelling lol) too, I've seen guys get dropped head first(Fedor/Randleman fight) and don't know how there wasn't a broken neck.
Just like the above poster said, just like racing there is inherent risk involved, the fighters accept it.

The damage from head shots isn't from the actual blow as much as how badly the brain bounces around inside the skull; from what I know. Therefore if someones head is knocked backwards it is not as likely to absorb as much damage as if it were against an object.... at the same time a blows damage is intensified by the smaller area...more impact per square inch...compare a boxing glove to an elbow......
No way all blows to the head are equal... that's why amateurs wear headguards & use larger gloves...to spread the impact area..essentially less impact per square inch.

This is a reality...

Reality is that when your head is hit the skull moves quicker than the brain and damage is done by the brain bouncing around and hitting the skull. Someone can wear a head gear and it wont make a difference. When the head is hit with head gear on the same still happens. The brain can still bounce around. Doesn't protect against brain injuries just helps protect the face, nose and eyes from cutts. When someone in MMA is laying on the ground and hit it isn't as bad as someone who is standing up being hit. Your head does't jar around as much while up against the canvas. Less chance of a brain injury.

At the end of the day both are violent sports but I love them both. Boxing is my favorite sport to watch and train in.

Quote: Ghizmo78
Reality is that when your head is hit the skull moves quicker than the brain and damage is done by the brain bouncing around and hitting the skull. Someone can wear a head gear and it wont make a difference. When the head is hit with head gear on the same still happens. The brain can still bounce around. Doesn't protect against brain injuries just helps protect the face, nose and eyes from cutts. When someone in MMA is laying on the ground and hit it isn't as bad as someone who is standing up being hit. Your head does't jar around as much while up against the canvas. Less chance of a brain injury.

At the end of the day both are violent sports but I love them both. Boxing is my favorite sport to watch and train in.

I agree with this 100%. Most serious injuries result from poorly trained referees who are unable to recognize when a fighter is really hurt. I sincerely hope none of them allow a slaughter to continue just to make some promoter happy.

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Free Blogs   Free Guestbooks   Cheap Domains 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com