Return to Website

FightNews Canada Boxing Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message or comment.

Forum: FightNews Canada Boxing Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
RIGHTS, RESPONSIBILITY and RESPECT, A QUESTION OF BALANCE

A QUESTION OF BALANCE

Why do some folks involved in professional boxing sling mud at amateur boxing?

Often it is a case of faulty balance. Often for the mud slinger, it is a case of Personal issues. In any combat, be it ring wars or forum debates and discussion, an important tool is BALANCE. For example without BALANCE a boxer cannot be a complete and effective puncher and runs the risk of having a poor defense. Without BALANCE there can be no effective discussion only wasted debate that leads nowhere.

Email  
Re: RIGHTS, RESPONSIBILITY and RESPECT, A QUESTION OF BALANCE

I dont know if u have fought pro but i dont even consider amateur and pro the same sport. Pro is about hurtin the other guy as well as outsmarting him and amateur is about points one guy gets ahead and runs the rest of the fight. Amateur to me was like sparring for the pros i never wanted to be an amateur the only reason i fought in it was cuz i cant fight pro as a kid. It helped me tremendously but i was a victim of politics in the amateur system just cuz people dont want to hear it doesnt mean it didnt happen. As for taking a jab at my attidude i speak the real no matter who im talking to or what im talkin about and im a respectfull person. Im gonna make a great pro champion after September 10

Email  

Quote: Battling McLellan
I dont know if u have fought pro but i dont even consider amateur and pro the same sport. Pro is about hurtin the other guy as well as outsmarting him and amateur is about points one guy gets ahead and runs the rest of the fight. Amateur to me was like sparring for the pros i never wanted to be an amateur the only reason i fought in it was cuz i cant fight pro as a kid. It helped me tremendously but i was a victim of politics in the amateur system just cuz people dont want to hear it doesnt mean it didnt happen. As for taking a jab at my attidude i speak the real no matter who im talking to or what im talkin about and im a respectfull person. Im gonna make a great pro champion after September 10

I have to agreee with you on this B MacLellan, This seems to be the alternative Go pro or put up with the BS, in the Am's and it is really staring to hurt our boxers here in Canada and the USA, If it doesn't change in the near future then as the old saying Go's we are just shooting ourselves in the foot ! We have quality boxers /Fighters all over Canada but the BS has to STOP ! ! For our Am's to REALLY progress and become the Pro's of old & even better.

Brian I don't know who you are but you should get your head out your a$$. I have read a few of your lengthy articles about the glorious past of amateur boxing and I have to agree that there were some memorial times. However, the state of amateur boxing is not about the grass root programs and the true develpment of athletes. It is about political patronage which continues to recycle itself over and over again. As a result leading the sport to a slow death and the so called leaders of the amateur sport keep a blind eye.
You pose as a historian look in your own back yard. The state of boxing in B.C. is no where close to the glory days of th 70's, 80's & 90's. The sport has detoriated greatly. Therefore, tell me where the "Rights, Responsibility, Respect, & Balance" is in the sport. If there was we would not be in this situation. When you continue to see young athlete all over the country get their fights stolen because they are facing certain clubs with the "political patronage" it takes the spirit not only from the young athletes but the dedicated coaches who are the back bones of any sporting system.

Computer scoring system also helped destroy amateur boxing

All other sports (Hockey, Basketball, Soccer, Baseball, Football etc.) take their cues from their respective professional league. Except Boxing! Amateur boxing even goes to lengths to distance itself from the pro-game, understandably sometimes.

I think the experiment of computer scoring was done with good intentions but unfortunately doesn't work, it tries to eliminate bad judging but simply changes the game to unrecognizable. Not to mention most shows can't support the necessary logistics (people and equipment) to get computer scoring up and running which means the athletes only get to see it at the important competitions.

I believe that Amateur boxing needs to embrace the pro-game again. Hopefully the pro-game gets it's act together too so it makes it easier.

Pro boxings been dealing with corruption since day one so not sure what you mean by getting its act together. Amateur boxing and AIBA is controled by Eastern European organized crime groups and has a hell of alot more corruption then pro boxing you just dont hear about as much. The problem is boxing isnt a popular sport as it youse to be in North America and as of a result most of the champions are Imigrants which doesnt generate alot of attention to people here because there not Canadian or American. Amateur boxing needs a big clean up and should switch back to 3 3minute rounds with 5 judges scoring on a 10 point system.

IT won't be perfect but Aiba will be changing few things for better. They will try to make it more like pro boxing there will be no more running around the ring to protect the lead. The boxers won't know who's leading. Among the five judge, the judge with the highest and the lowest score won't count for anything. The white part of the glove coming off. The boxers need to throw combination to score, the body shots are also scoring. As for the politics, it's very sad at leat we have people like you talking about it.

Quote: Mike
Pro boxings been dealing with corruption since day one so not sure what you mean by getting its act together. Amateur boxing and AIBA is controled by Eastern European organized crime groups and has a hell of alot more corruption then pro boxing you just dont hear about as much. The problem is boxing isnt a popular sport as it youse to be in North America and as of a result most of the champions are Imigrants which doesnt generate alot of attention to people here because there not Canadian or American. Amateur boxing needs a big clean up and should switch back to 3 3minute rounds with 5 judges scoring on a 10 point system.

FYI- AIBA have already gone back to 3x3minute round competition for men and youth boys.

Thats a great start. Now they need to get rid of the computers!!!!!

Getting rid of the computers would be a good thing for sure. But even with the computers things will be different from now on, as before 3 judges had to press the point botton with in a secode for the punch to score. The new system will allow any of the 5 judges to score on their own terms.

Letting technology judge boxing is what is rueining amateur boxing. 5 human beings who are trained and understand the sport should beable to give a better judgement of who is the agressor and landed the better shots. The computer is still gonna have guys score and run and thats whats killing the sport because the style of boxing has changed dramaticaly due to the computer. Its like watching fencing only with gloves and no sword!

Great analogy Mike computer scoring is like fencing i like that

Email  

Talking about the 2011 Nationals, there were computers but there was no body fencing. There were some brutal knockouts, even a UFC fanboy would have been shocked.
There were fights even the fans were shouting for the ref to stop the massacre. Lot of talents and fireworks were to be seen. No body can destroy boxing too many worriors are involved in our sport.

If you don't think there was corruption and politics with the old system you are living a sweet dream! Not saying I agree with computers but old 20 point system in the amateurs was just as bad! Bets happening before fights .....officials involved! Just wait! AIBA has big talk right now........things r going to change! Some folks are not going to be happy but who knows may be the best thing AIBA did.

I am not a fan of the the computer scoring because of many reasons not least the one that most top amateurs should be able to hit there opponent 3 times in a second so how that is scored properly is anyone guess but on the other hand the old scoring system had many problems .

you obvious must have had difficult times in amateur boxing if you think it is all about point scoring and running. Not sure when you fought as an amateur, but you obviously do not have much of understanding or appreciation concerning the history of the sport.

Just a random sample, take the finals of the 1954 BX GOLDRN GLOVES, one of the bouts two of the most efficient knockout artists JIMMY WALTERS and Bill (Curly) ADAMS. There were six knockdowns and it ended in a third round knockout.
Fast forward to 1967, it a bout that resulted in a one punch knockout, WESLEY CRAVEN starched JACK MEDA of Prince George with a short right hand and he fell like a large Spruce tree hitting the ground. Or fast forward to 1975,
and boxer GORDIE LAWSON scored the only clean knockout when his opponent was on the deck for over a minute.

Sorry to see you look at the sport in black and white, put your personal experiences aside, and look at some of the positive. But, your welcome to use
a tired old paint brush in your paint job of amateur boxing.

Email  

Quote: Punchy
Brian I don't know who you are but you should get your head out your a$$. I have read a few of your lengthy articles about the glorious past of amateur boxing and I have to agree that there were some memorial times. However, the state of amateur boxing is not about the grass root programs and the true develpment of athletes. It is about political patronage which continues to recycle itself over and over again. As a result leading the sport to a slow death and the so called leaders of the amateur sport keep a blind eye.
You pose as a historian look in your own back yard. The state of boxing in B.C. is no where close to the glory days of th 70's, 80's & 90's. The sport has detoriated greatly. Therefore, tell me where the "Rights, Responsibility, Respect, & Balance" is in the sport. If there was we would not be in this situation. When you continue to see young athlete all over the country get their fights stolen because they are facing certain clubs with the "political patronage" it takes the spirit not only from the young athletes but the dedicated coaches who are the back bones of any sporting system.

Back in the eighties, some were saying it is nowhere near the glory days of the Fifties and sixties when they did not have Boxing Canada, and so many rules.
But, it was the anti-boxing crowd that resulted in so many rules duty to SAFETY ISSUES.

Maybe, the problem of amateur boxing today is not the scoring system, but the
coaching. I have seen enough amateur boxing bouts in the last little while to come to the conclusion that some of the boxers are not learning the skills of
effective and efficient movement, defense, counter punching skills, and effective and efficient punching skills.

Email  

Quote: omar the warrior
Getting rid of the computers would be a good thing for sure. But even with the computers things will be different from now on, as before 3 judges had to press the point botton with in a secode for the punch to score. The new system will allow any of the 5 judges to score on their own terms.

that sounds like positive news, the important thing is each judge should score what they see, and throwing out the two extreme results would seem to be fair.
As far as I am concerned is boxers that run to protect a lead could be cautioned or warned, but a good boxer that builds up a lead and say in the last round, uses defensive skills to block, slip and evade punches should not be penalized for avoiding action as good defensive moves is an excellent form of action just ask
anyone that saw WILLIE PEP in action. Some of his defensive only tactics were
pure magic.

Email  

Quote: Brian Zelley

you obvious must have had difficult times in amateur boxing if you think it is all about point scoring and running. Not sure when you fought as an amateur, but you obviously do not have much of understanding or appreciation concerning the history of the sport.

Just a random sample, take the finals of the 1954 BX GOLDRN GLOVES, one of the bouts two of the most efficient knockout artists JIMMY WALTERS and Bill (Curly) ADAMS. There were six knockdowns and it ended in a third round knockout.
Fast forward to 1967, it a bout that resulted in a one punch knockout, WESLEY CRAVEN starched JACK MEDA of Prince George with a short right hand and he fell like a large Spruce tree hitting the ground. Or fast forward to 1975,
and boxer GORDIE LAWSON scored the only clean knockout when his opponent was on the deck for over a minute.

Sorry to see you look at the sport in black and white, put your personal experiences aside, and look at some of the positive. But, your welcome to use
a tired old paint brush in your paint job of amateur boxing.

Got news for u its not 40 years ago and try speaking plain english itll make more sense u definatelly sound like someone involved in amateur boxing speaking in riddles. Listen to punchy and pull u head out does bc even have a amateur boxing organization at the moment?

Email  

Great analogy Mike computer scoring is like fencing i like that

Interesting opinion but some of the Commonwealth Games boxing of 2010 did not look like fencing, there was a good cross-section of styles. The main flaw in the computer scoring was the time requirement to click the button by the judges, it appears this flaw will be corrected.

We can now sit back and follow the World championships and it will be no fencing contest in October. And, we will even have one boxer from British Columbia in the tournament and he will not be fencing or running around the ring. And some boxers in the tournament will get stopped and there will be action and suspense.

Also, there is an amateur boxing organization in British Columbia despite some with their own special interests that would like to see it fall and fail.

Email  

As somebody whos a succesefull pro and former amateur ill tell u the difference amateurs are athletes and pros are fighters. Amateur gloves are like sponges compared to pro. Fights are 3 or 4 rounds thats like a 100 yard dash fights are stopped because people are ahead on points the whole systems a joke. And in bc u send the favourites instead of the best fighters those are some of the problems. Are u a politician? cuz u sure sound like one

Email  

The differance between the two are-in pro the objective is to hurt your opponent and with kids it is to score points-two completely different sports.Cant even compare them.

As somebody whos a succesefull pro and former amateur ill tell u the difference amateurs are athletes and pros are fighters. Amateur gloves are like sponges compared to pro. Fights are 3 or 4 rounds thats like a 100 yard dash fights are stopped because people are ahead on points the whole systems a joke. And in bc u send the favourites instead of the best fighters those are some of the problems. Are u a politician? cuz u sure sound like one

This topic is not about differences of amateur and pro boxing, So which best fighters were not sent somewhere and were replaced by someones favourite.
Specific years and an example two or four boxers would be a good start.
Based on your previous discussions, you may have been one that was left
behind from some team and a decision maker's pride and joy took your place.

I am not a politician, and if I was refereeing or judging your fight, and you were winning you would get a fair shake, and if you were the best you would get picked for a BC team fighting in the Seattle Golden Gloves, a Western Canadian tournament or a National tournament.

Many of us have been on the receiving end of a bum decision in an important fight but most of us have rolled with the punch and carried on.

Email  

Thank u boxing fan this is what i was trying to say. But obviously pro is much more entertaining than amateur. After watching live pro i have a hard time even watching amateurs.

Email  

This topic is not about differences of amateur and pro boxing, So which best fighters were not sent somewhere and were replaced by someones favourite.

I am not a politician, and if I was refereeing or judging your fight, and you were winning you would get a fair shake, and if you were the best you would get picked for a BC team fighting in the Seattle Golden Gloves, a Western Canadian tournament or a National tournament.

Many of us have been on the receiving end of a bum decision in an important fight but most of us have rolled with the punch and carried on.

What are u trying to say then? ur all over the place boxing bc is a joke so are u thats what i have to say!! U can all blow smoke up each others a$$es and tell all ur favourites who the best is. I beat some of the best fighters in western canada as an amateur when i got my decisions.

Email  

What are u trying to say then? ur all over the place boxing bc is a joke so are u thats what i have to say!! U can all blow smoke up each others a$$es and tell all ur favourites who the best is. I beat some of the best fighters in western canada as an amateur when i got my decisions.

YOU SAID, you were a victim of politics, so were you representing Willams Lake in some tournament and got shafted in an important bout, if you did not then what was the politics that effected you so bad that it has created your
stand on boxing in BC. Pretend I am your sparring partner and go with the flow.
Or better still, pretend I am your trainer, and am trying to make you the best that you can be! In fact, If your Stu McLellan, I think I should do a story about your boxing journey in the blog. And, I wonder if you trained with the likes of Matt O'Brien, Marcus Hume and Tom Speirs.
http://zelleyonboxing.blogspot.com/

Email  

THE WILLIAMS LAKE BOXING STORY
Round 1 - The Introduction
Without a solid foundation there can be no executive suite in the penthouse of boxing. The Williams Lake boxing journey begins with a look back at January 1984. Of interest one of the young boxers was named RICK ALBRECHTSEN. Fast forward to the here and now and Rick is a fine coach and trainer but from 1984 to 2011 there have been and are many more players in the story including those involved in professional boxing such as Battling McLellan

The follow-up, well I have now done a piece on the Williams Lake Boxing and
made a reference to the McLellan family and the Albrechtsen faimily.

I thought it was funny how Battling described the difference between amateur and professional. From my experience, I would not agree on the description of amateur boxing. However, I fought in the Sixties and first few years of the Seventies, so some of my opponents were not there to score points. Take
RAY LAMPKIN in our first fight in the 1968 Tacoma Golden Gloves. When he feinted
a right hand and I weaved into his left hook that did not feel like simple point
scoring after it exploded against my head. Maybe the boxers of the Sixties were
tougher and more durable of the current amateur boxers. We may have moved
around the ring, but we did not run even if we got smashed in the head.

Also, when we fought in 1964, we had no headguards and we wore 8oz gloves.
So, I do not see that different than any beginning pro fight of four rounds. In fact
some of the dudes turning pro were not the toughest or the best boxers. some were catchers in the amateurs and were catchers or soft touches for the pros.

Now, take any hot shot pro from the Pacific Northwest in the Seventies or Eighties and look at their records and then look at the records of their opponents and see how many one-sided mismatches were made.

it is pretty easy to smear amateur boxing, but the crap that happens in amateur boxing in the past is mild compared to some of the nasty stuff that has been churned out it professional boxing.

Brian you are F*cken delusional when you state "it is pretty easy to smear amateur boxing, but the crap that happens in amateur boxing in the past is mild compared to some of the nasty stuff that has been churned out it professional boxing." Either you do not know what you are talking about or have not paid attention. Does 1988 Olympic games bring back memories when most of the judges were paid off by the Koreans and Roy Jones getting robbed of a gold medal only to win Val Barkers award for the best boxer. Then the IOC specifically told AIBA to change their system of scoring do to all the corruption and now we have the computer scoring which is worst. In the pro game you know what you are getting into and ae aware of the unbalance variables. In amateur boxing they try to project an image being clean but behind the scenes are more corrupt than any sport in the world. I would suggest you do more research before you get on here and make blanket statements that are so untrue.
Also, look at the media amateur boxing got in the past. Next to track and field amateur boxing got the most television exposure at the Olympic games, until the corruption and and the scoring system got so bad that it was unbearable to watch. Look at past amateur boxers who were household names such as; Willie DeWitt, Shawn O'Sullivan, Lennox Lewis, and even Scotty Olson. Main steam media does not want anything to do with our sport due to the corruption and scoring system which the average person cannot understand. It is people like you who want to turn a blind eye to the problem instead of ackknowleging it and addressing it, that keeps the state of amateur boxing in the mess that it is in.

Recent link on Article at 2011 World Amateur Championships:
"AIBA Begins Probe Into Gold Medal Corruption Claim"
http://www.boxingscene.com/aiba-begins-probe-into-gold-medal-corruption-claims--44662

Brian you are F*cken delusional when you state "it is pretty easy to smear amateur boxing, but the crap that happens in amateur boxing in the past is mild compared to some of the nasty stuff that has been churned out it professional boxing." Either you do not know what you are talking about or have not paid attention. Does 1988 Olympic games bring back memories when most of the judges were paid off by the Koreans and Roy Jones getting robbed of a gold medal only to win Val Barkers award for the best boxer. Then the IOC specifically told AIBA to change their system of scoring do to all the corruption and now we have the computer scoring which is worst. In the pro game you know what you are getting into and ae aware of the unbalance variables. In amateur boxing they try to project an image being clean but behind the scenes are more corrupt than any sport in the world. I would suggest you do more research before you get on here and make blanket statements that are so untrue.
Also, look at the media amateur boxing got in the past. Next to track and field amateur boxing got the most television exposure at the Olympic games, until the corruption and and the scoring system got so bad that it was unbearable to watch. Look at past amateur boxers who were household names such as; Willie DeWitt, Shawn O'Sullivan, Lennox Lewis, and even Scotty Olson. Main steam media does not want anything to do with our sport due to the corruption and scoring system which the average person cannot understand. It is people like you who want to turn a blind eye to the problem instead of ackknowleging it and addressing it, that keeps the state of amateur boxing in the mess that it is in.

PUNCHY, you're a funny guy. I have never turned a blind eye to problems in amateur and professional boxing. In fact, I have written about the problems of
amateur and professional boxing since at least the eighties and in some cases the seventies.

In the 1988 book "Island Of Champions", Cleve Dheesaw in the builders section wrote: "Brian Zelley, who in executive positions ...has championed the cause of
amateur boxing long and hard while decrying with passion the brutal excessers
of the pro game."

Anybody who read any of the issues of the "BC Amateur Boxing News: from
1983 to 1986 when I was the editor would have been aware of my position of some of the problems with amateur boxing. Nothing is new in 2011, the story is the same. So, please "Punchy" outline specific areas of the problems of amateur boxing and which eye is being turned blind. Maybe you and Battling
could get in a room and discuss all of the issues from matchmaking, team selections, bum decisions, rules and how some folks get nailed when they break them and others get a free pass. Problems in amateur boxing start at
the ground level in coaching and matchmaking. However, one thing that was not present in the Sixties was boxers did not duck out of fights or expect a free pass to some Championship, they did it the old fashioned way, they worked for it. However, team selection for a National or International event will always be
an area of controversy. Also, the selection of provincial team managers is subject to some back scratching from time to time.

To say amateur boxing is just about point scoring is not very bright. If we roll back the clock to the history of the BC GOLDEN GLOVES from 1939 to 1975, there any many knockouts that have been recorded and documented. Maybe, folks should look-up some of the history like the famous bout that featured
two knockout artists by the name of JIMMY WALTERS vs BILL "Curly" ADAMS,
or move the tape to 1967 when Seattle' WES CRAVEN knocked-out Prince George boxer JACK MEDA with a short right hand, or slip into the Seventies
when GORDIE LAWSON scored a knockout that had his opponent inert on the
deck for over a minute. Fast forward to the Eighties, and there were scores of knockouts.

Quote: Big T.

I have to agreee with you on this B MacLellan, This seems to be the alternative Go pro or put up with the BS, in the Am's and it is really staring to hurt our boxers here in Canada and the USA, If it doesn't change in the near future then as the old saying Go's we are just shooting ourselves in the foot ! We have quality boxers /Fighters all over Canada but the BS has to STOP ! ! For our Am's to REALLY progress and become the Pro's of old & even better.

PAN AM GAMES SUCCESS
Canadian boxers win two gold and three bronze, pretty good for an amateur
sport that some folks think is on the ropes.

Brian thanks for the compliment I am funny, but I not quite as funny as you. You seem like a nice guy, but you also seem to talk in circles never supporting your claims. You always seem to avoid the issue and jump into another issue, like answering a question with a question lol. Anyways I will not be wasting my time commenting on some of your "funny" topics that you bring up from time to time. Have a good one!

Brian thanks for the compliment I am funny, but I not quite as funny as you. You seem like a nice guy, but you also seem to talk in circles never supporting your claims. You always seem to avoid the issue and jump into another issue, like answering a question with a question lol. Anyways I will not be wasting my time commenting on some of your "funny" topics that you bring up from time to time. Have a good one!

It isn't about supporting claims that is important, but sorting through the fact, fantasy and fiction. The title of this piece is RIGHTS, RESPONSIBILITY and RESPECT.

A broad topic to deal with amateur and professional boxing. So what are the RIGHTS: On the ground level, it is the right for all persons to compete on a level playing field. In reality, there is unlikely to be a level playing field due to special interests. Take pro boxing, and the tragic fight between EMILE GRIFFITH and BENNY KID PARET. It was a parade of non-rights, multi-level failure in responsibility, and even the fans got into the lack of respect routine.

The opening claim relates to the attitude that SOME pro boxers do not appreciate or respect amateur boxing in Canada. It was not for me to support that claim but that claim was quickly supported by the subsequent messages of Punchy, Battling and others.

An opening statement in a forum thread is not a MBA or PHD thesis that requires in-depth research and supporting reliable sources as references and quotes. At best it is like a lead jab or feint in the opening round of a boxing match, nothing more and nothing less.

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Counters & Site Stats   Free Web Hosting   Cheap Domains