Return to Website

FightNews Canada Boxing Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message or comment.

FightNews Canada Boxing Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Garbatt / Mrdjenovich rematch - Jelena fires up the excuse machine yet again

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/othersports/2010/12/14/16553636.html

Seriously her act of blaming everyone but herself for all her losses is getting very old. Look in the mirror and look at your trainer for once....

Re: Garbatt / Mrdjenovich rematch - Jelena fires up the excuse machine yet again

Sir Lord Iffy Boatrace
http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/othersports/2010/12/14/16553636.html

Seriously her act of blaming everyone but herself for all her losses is getting very old. Look in the mirror and look at your trainer for once....

What has she changed in her fighting ??? Same Old Basic straight up No head movement take it on the chin, Come on get some one that can make some changes in your boxing or give it up !!

Re: Garbatt / Mrdjenovich rematch - Jelena fires up the excuse machine yet again

to the soft core fans in edmonton jelena is popular,to the hard core fight fans like me well lets just say im not fan myself,she makes excuses sometimes when she wins or gets gift draws,she's a good fighter overated but good and she will never change or get any better,I wasn't at the garbatt fight but I did see it on tv and she clearly lost and I fully expect her to lose the rematch,her skills aren't all they say they are,she is a face foward bully that fights dirty,lindsey won't let her get away with it and I expect lindsay to ko her this time,and of course afterwards jelena will make excuses.

what trainer he's no trainer and she cant fight.quit taking peoples money with this **** difghts.

Maybe the judges should wear glasses LOL

Jelena is a great fighter but chose to keep it local,I know for a fact Ayana would walk circles around her in the ring,I have told Ayana that for a very long time even when she lived in winnipeg still,future world champ and will b the next big name in boxing for women will be Ayana Pelletier.Jelena is done....

Looks like Jelena has no more excuses, just all business.

Jelena ready to rumble
By MURRAY GREIG, Edmonton Sun

A funny thing happened to Jelena Mrdjenovich the other night when she was watching a tape of her last fight.

“It was almost like I was looking at somebody else,” Edmonton’s former two-time world champion recalled about seeing herself trade punches with Oshawa’s Lindsay Garbatt at the Shaw Conference Centre last fall.

“It was weird; not anything like what I remembered from actually being in the ring.

“In a way, I guess she kind of fooled me … although I still think I threw the more effective punches,” Mrdjenovich said of Garbatt, who won a 10-round split decision to claim the vacant Women’s International Boxing Association super featherweight title.

They’re fighting a title rematch on Friday night at the Molson Centre in Barrie, Ont. — and this time Mrdjenovich vows she won’t be lured into Garbatt’s trap.

“She’s not tall, but she’s ripped … and very strong,” said Mrdjenovich.

“One of the things I fell into was standing and trading with her. But I’m taller, my arms are longer, so it didn’t look like I was letting my hands go as much as she was.

“I should have moved more, for sure. I did so in some rounds, but not enough. Watching the tape, I was pretty shocked at how stationary I was.

“I expected Lindsay to come out and fight hard, which she did, and I knew she wouldn’t back off … but if I’d moved more, it would have been different.

“During the fight, I remember thinking I was landing the harder, cleaner punches … but I can’t take anything away from her. It could’ve gone either way.”

Friday marks the 28-year-old Mrdjenovich’s 32nd pro fight — but only her fourth outside of Alberta.

“I’m really excited about fighting in Garbatt’s backyard because there’s no pressure on me,” said Mrdjenovich.

“Sometimes it gets a little hectic, always fighting at home. It plays with your head a little bit when you know that so many people are pulling for you. But my mind is real clear for this one. I’ve had great sparring and I know what I have to do. It’s a great feeling.”

The opportunity to collect another world championship belt only sweetens the pot.

“A shot at another title is always a great incentive,” said Mrdjenovich.

“For that, I have to thank Lindsay and her team for giving me the rematch right away. That was a classy move.

“Another thing that keeps me going is that I know this is good for women’s boxing. We put on a hell of a fight in November, and I know it’ll be just as good, just as entertaining on Friday. I can’t wait.”

QUICK JABS: The SuperBrawl in Barrie will be headlined by unbeaten Canadian heavyweight champion Neven Pajkic (15-0) in a 10-rounder vs. Johnnie White of Louisiana … In an eight-round heavy-weight prelim, Edmonton’s Tye Fields (44-2, 40 KOs) takes on former Canadian champ Ray Olubowale (8-4-1, 4 KOs), while Hobbema cruiserweight Taylor Bull (1-1) squares off with Toronto’s Denton Daly (3-0) in a four-rounder.

murray.greig@sunmedia.ca