Return to Website

FightNews Canada Boxing Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message or comment.

Forum: FightNews Canada Boxing Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
BRITISH COLUMBIA AMATEUR BOXING HALL OF FAME

Thanks for all those that have turned the
BCABHOF from an idea into a reality.
In September, the core group of 15 were named.
On December 15, the administrators for 2011 will be named.

Concerning all the negativity concerning Amateur Boxing in Canada, do not be concerned I am sure
that changes are a coming - it is a case of positive motivation - maybe we can begin with BC -

The problem is folks complain but they do it from the shadows.

Re: BRITISH COLUMBIA AMATEUR BOXING HALL OF FAME

What are the motives of this organization? Please explain

Email  

Quote: Battling McLellan

I would like to think it is not motives, my friend, that we play, but objectives.

Think about what could the objectives be - an amateur boxing hall of fame.

We could look at the achievements of the 15 core group inductees and ask
why should we remember them, and recognize them. There are many reasons
but the best reason is answered with one word BECAUSE or one phrase:
BECAUSE IT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

When we remember the achievements of THE BEST OF THE BEST and combine it with the DESIRE, DETERMINATION and AVAILABILITY of active boxers, coaches and officials, we have the perfect blueprint for planning for success in future days. When we fail to remember those that built the sport, we fail to remember
the purpose and failure is not an option.

So what are the names of the 15 originals?
Boxers:
Eddie Haddad, Jimmy Walters, Harold Mann, Fred Desrosiers, Dick Findlay,
Frank Scott, Freddy Fuller, Chris Ius, Dale Walters and Manny Sobral
Builders:
Rick Brough, Dave Brown, Fred Fuller, Elio Ius, and Pat O'Reilly.

Email  

It is funny hearing about motives - like it was some unsolved crime.
But, the general failure of those in boxing to recognize the real
history of the sport is a crime but the motive is likely based on
a grab back of reasons - from laziness, to envy, to the old lack of
time excuse - some spend more time dreaming-up excuses than
it would take to do a short history of world title fights in Canada.

All the respect in the world to you Mr Zelley for trying to give kudos to people that have excelled in BC amatuer boxing and in creating a hall of fame .But i would like to add that what makes a boxer in your opinion and your selectors opinions a worthy inductee.for example lets take Manny Sobral who won one national senior championship fortunately for him in an olympic year so can be called an olympian and is in your list but Geronimoe Bie who won three Canadian championships is not .Just an observation Mr Zelley and not a knock on you or the hall of fame.I would also like to add that i appreciate that no matter who you select there will always be some well deserved people that have been left out .

You cannot put everyone in at one time. Geronimo Bie may be considered
but it is more than just winning titles that will often determine if a person
is worthy of a hall of fame recognition. So, how long did Bie box and what
did he do for the sport and society after his active boxing days.

Why you comin down on me? I may have not chose the right words but the only thing i was wondering was what was the point of it. I could give a care about amateur boxing especially in bc because its crooked and always has been. Ive been a victim of it!!! Thats the reason I fight pro as well as many other pro fighters in bc

Email  

Why you comin down on me? I may have not chose the right words but the only thing i was wondering was what was the point of it. I could give a care about amateur boxing especially in bc because its crooked and always has been. Ive been a victim of it!!! Thats the reason I fight pro as well as many other pro fighters in bc

As they say, "life is like a box of chocolates, and you never know what you get
etc." You state what is the point of it because your not interested in
amateur boxing for a grab bag full of reasons, likely some are of a personal reason.

Looking at the ten boxers that were included in the core group, some also fought as pros, such as JIMMY WALTERS and HAROLD MANN.

If you are fighting pro now, then you are likely in no position to question the historical quality and administration of amateur boxing in British Columbia. And for transparency, you should be prepared to list your specific gripes,
not paint the whole sport with a broad paint brush that would get the job done if you were whitewashing the barn.

Quote: Smithy
All the respect in the world to you Mr Zelley for trying to give kudos to people that have excelled in BC amatuer boxing and in creating a hall of fame .But i would like to add that what makes a boxer in your opinion and your selectors opinions a worthy inductee.for example lets take Manny Sobral who won one national senior championship fortunately for him in an olympic year so can be called an olympian and is in your list but Geronimoe Bie who won three Canadian championships is not .Just an observation Mr Zelley and not a knock on you or the hall of fame.I would also like to add that i appreciate that no matter who you select there will always be some well deserved people that have been left out .

In the beginning of the process, folks were able to submit names and a list of 50 were submitted by the deadline date - including in that list of 50 was your man GERONIMO BIE. With the elimination and selection process which went for a few rounds, Bie did not make a list of the top 24 of builders and boxers.
If one checks his stats, there were many boxers extending back to 1939 that had all-round more qualifications than Geronimo. Also, there were some that were not included in the list of 50 that on second thought and timing
should have been included such as LINDY LINDMOSER.

How many builders and how many boxers get picked in 2011 is anyones guess,
but my best guess is it will not be 15 names like 2010. Also, there are many excellent ones that will not make the final selection in 2011, but that is the
way things go - but whoever gets picked they will be high quality folks.

When 2011 rolls around, I will be sending in five names, but I don't expect them all to get picked - two boxers and three builders - we will just have to see which names are submitted and then go through the good old selection process.

Three of the names that I was supporting did not get picked in 2010.

I would agree with you that my man as you call him Geronimoe Bie should definitely not make it in as a builder .But i am confused with your comment about after they have ended there amateur boxing carrear.Is it called the BC amateur boxing hall of fame or should it be called BC Boxing and good Samaritan hall of fame .

I guess what i have been trying to say in an around about way is what is the criteria for induction into your hall of fame .

I would agree with you that my man as you call him Geronimoe Bie should definitely not make it in as a builder .But i am confused with your comment about after they have ended there amateur boxing carrear.Is it called the BC amateur boxing hall of fame or should it be called BC Boxing and good Samaritan hall of fame .

Good one Smithy - "The Good Samaritan Hall of Fame"

The primary qualification for selection as a boxer would likely be excellence
in ring activity. Going back to 1939 to 1946, there are many names to consider
from KENNY LINDSAY, Frank and Stan ALMOND, VIC MURDOCH and many more.
From 1947 to 1959, where do we begin or end with names like LEN WALTERS
to BILL (Curly) ADAMS and many others. Then blast through the Sixties,
with the likes of CLINT PAGE, TOMMY BOYCE, ROGER ADOLPH, TOMMY BLACK,
DAVE WYLIE, Bremner, Bretzner and Briesmeister to Curtis, Coulson, and
Ginetti. But we can't forget Lindmoser, Kolar, Meda or Schelt.

Then comes the Seventies with many a fine boxer such as LES HAMILTON
and SIDNEY MCKNIGHT, JOE COOKE, LAURIE MANN and NEIL AUSTIN, but there were many others. Then trip through the late Seventies and early Eighties
with the likes of DERRICK HOYT and JAMIE OLLENBERGER, but let's not forget
MICHAEL OLAJIDE, GARY ROBINSON And the beat goes on into the Nineties and beyond with the likes of DONNIE ORR.

As far as i can remember Olajide didn't do much as an amateur if anything at all, but matured into a very tasty pro .So again i have confusion about the amateur part of your hall of fame .I feel that maybe you and your committee should maybe induct all of the boxers and builders that you deem worthy from 1939 till now and then going forward induct the ones that you deem worthy of induction as it is earned .Also as i have stated before if you dont lay down a platform with a minimum criteria your hall will never have any merit .In my oppinion at least a Senior National championship would be a good starting point as the ones that have earned the right to call themselves a Senior national champion know what time and dedication it takes to be a champion for that year .

As far as i can remember Olajide didn't do much as an amateur if anything at all, but matured into a very tasty pro .So again i have confusion about the amateur part of your hall of fame .I feel that maybe you and your committee should maybe induct all of the boxers and builders that you deem worthy from 1939 till now and then going forward induct the ones that you deem worthy of induction as it is earned .

Over time - .

thanks for your views

Name suggestions - There are many opinions of pasr boxers, coaches and iff
and officials that could be considered.

Therefore, this is an open invitation to all folks with an understanding of the history of amateur boxing in British Columbia to offer suggestions of names
of builders or boxers.

it is through the voices of many that often determines the outcomes.

Please dont take this as critism i am merely one that is voicing my oppinion which is a positive as the more voices heard the better .I would also like to pass on to you my thanks as i have read your many stories of your past boxing experiances and obviously you have much knowledge of this great sport,and find them rather enjoyable, thanks again .

Please dont take this as critism i am merely one that is voicing my oppinion which is a positive as the more voices heard the better .I would also like to pass on to you my thanks as i have read your many stories of your past boxing experiances and obviously you have much knowledge of this great sport,and find them rather enjoyable, thanks again .

agree 100% about more voices - one can still be positive and disagree - debating is another story
like debating the best fighters of all times
becomes a head banging routine - everybody has their
own method of determining what best means.

2011 SELECTION PROCESS
We are now a little over one year old, and we are starting with year two of the selection process
with 24 nominees.

This year we have some special categories and some likely choices are;
JUNIOR/YOUTH BOXING - Alan Brown
ALL ROUNDER - Lennie Walters
PIONEER - Tommy Paonessa
FAMILY - The Boyce Family
EVENT - 1967 Cenntenial International
Diamond Belt Championship

Email  

I look forward for you to join the BRITISH COLUMBIA AMATEUR BOXING HALL OF FAME site on Facebook Roberto.

Email  

Have you picked this years entrants in to your hall of fame yet Mr Zelley .Always interested to hear your views on the matter .

2011 SELECTIONS
Alan Brown, Tommy Paonessa, Lennie Walters, Jamie Ollenberger,
Lindy Lindmoser, Matt O'Brien, George Angelomatis, the Boyce Family,
the Campbell River Eagles Boxing club, and the
1967 INTERNATIONAL CENTENNIAL DIAMOND BELT CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Email  

Some good ones in that group, it would be nice if each inductee had a little bio so then people could see what they have accomplished .Just for my info what did Matt O Brien do as an amateur boxer .

70 wins 30 losses 10 golden gloves 6 b.c 2 alb 2 usa 1 gold 2 silver 3 bronze cancdian championships 2x west canadian champion

Good show

Email  

Good show ,Well worthy of induction ,top man ,top era .

THE EVENT - The event chosen was the 1967 Diamond Belt tournament which in my opinion was likely the best tournament ever staged in British Columbia. In had all the elements. It was Canada's Centennial year so all things had to be better than good,

It had a champion of champions as the guest referee ROCKY MARCIANO,
On the Saturday morning of that event at a breakfast meeting Rocky was the guest speaker.

the line-up of boxers from California to Montreal was grand, and also included a whose who of Pacific Northwest boxing with one of the Seattle stars being heavyweight knockout artist WESLEY CRAVEN. But, the one from Montreal
was a top selection and his name was DONATO PADUANO.

In one of the divisions, two past Golden Boys and one future Golden Boy lost.
And that was only one of the divisions. In the heavyweight division there was
a large number of entries. Now your lucky to get two in a BC tournament.

Some of the others that would go on to be part of Canada's 1967 Pan Am
Games team included the likes of Wayne Boyce of the fighting Boyce family,
Frank Scott, 1966 Commonwealth Games medal winner, Freddy Fuller,
and Dick Findlay. I believe Marijan Kolar was also on the 1967 team and won a medal.

Email  

Just wondering Matt was your one National Championship at the junior level or Senior .

junior also 2x golden boy b.c & alb

http://amateur-boxing.strefa.pl/Nationalchamps/Canada1969_2000.html

If you get some spare time Mr Zelley maybe check out the site above that lists our National Senior Champions from 1969 to 2000 and i can see a few names from BC that are multiple winners .In my opinion probably should be recognized before a one time junior National Champion .Some names that jump out are ,
Les Hamilton 1971 - 1972
D Hoyt 1978 - 1979
L Rolfe 1979 - 1984
K Howard 1979 - 1980
L Mann 1979 - 1980
G Bie 1988-1989-1990

My apologies if i have missed anyone but my point is you all know how hard it is to win one National Senior Championship but to win Multiple then that is truly a tremendous accomplishment .

Also Mr Zelley i ask my next question out of respect for your knowledge of the sport but in 1980 BC had four Canadian Champions
Danny Thompson-Kevin Howard -Laurie Mann -Jaime Olenberger how come with the political boycott of the Olympics in 1980 these four heroes never get any recognition for there ultimate sacrifice ,not even to be called Olympians .

Quote: smithy

If you get some spare time Mr Zelley maybe check out the site above that lists our National Senior Champions from 1969 to 2000 and i can see a few names from BC that are multiple winners .In my opinion probably should be recognized before a one time junior National Champion .Some names that jump out are ,
Les Hamilton 1971 - 1972
D Hoyt 1978 - 1979
L Rolfe 1979 - 1984
K Howard 1979 - 1980
L Mann 1979 - 1980
G Bie 1988-1989-1990

My apologies if i have missed anyone but my point is you all know how hard it is to win one National Senior Championship but to win Multiple then that is truly a tremendous accomplishment .

Also Mr Zelley i ask my next question out of respect for your knowledge of the sport but in 1980 BC had four Canadian Champions
Danny Thompson-Kevin Howard -Laurie Mann -Jaime Olenberger how come with the political boycott of the Olympics in 1980 these four heroes never get any recognition for there ultimate sacrifice ,not even to be called Olympians .

Not sure who the one-time junior champion is that you discussing.

I have nominatated LES HAMILTON in 2010 and 2011, but he keeps getting overlooked. I am sure he will be considered for 2012.

Concerning JAMIE OLLENBERGER, he was recognized this year and is one of the select ten of 2011 in the combined group of 25. As far as Danny, Kevin, Laurie, and Jamie, they cannot be called Olympians if they did not compete in the Olympics. At some time, the likes of Thompson, Howard and Mann may be considered but there are many other boxers and builders that may trump them.

Concerning Hoyt, he got beat out by the likes of Lindy Lindmoser and Jamie Ollenberger. Jamie followed Hoyt and fought him a number of times. It is objective at best in deciding between Jamie and Derrick. For my position, I
would give the edge to Jamie for having a Hall of Fame story. Derrick was
called the "Pride of Cranbrook" and would likely qualify for a Cranbrook Sports Hall of Fame along with his coach Michael Moore.

Email  

Have you picked this years entrants in to your hall of fame yet Mr Zelley .Always interested to hear your views on the matter .

As a follow-up, ten were picked. an expansion from 2010 was some new categories. The new categories were Junior/Youth Boxing, Pioneer, All-Rounder,
Clubs, Events and Families. There was a team nominated but it was not picked.

For 2012, there may be a category for Women In Boxing. However, that will have to be decided by the administrators of 2012. And, being nominated will not guarantee being selected.

Also, there will be at least two new life honorary directors. To-date,
two have agreed to the honor TOMMY BOYCE and JOHN PAONESSA
these and maybe others will be official January 1, 2012.

Email  

As far as i can remember Olajide didn't do much as an amateur if anything at all, but matured into a very tasty pro .So again i have confusion about the amateur part of your hall of fame .I feel that maybe you and your committee should maybe induct all of the boxers and builders that you deem worthy from 1939 till now and then going forward induct the ones that you deem worthy of induction as it is earned .Also as i have stated before if you dont lay down a platform with a minimum criteria your hall will never have any merit .In my oppinion at least a Senior National championship would be a good starting point as the ones that have earned the right to call themselves a Senior national champion know what time and dedication it takes to be a champion for that year .

In 2010 and 2011, the following Senior Open boxers have been selected:
Chris Ius, Dale Walters, Dick Findlay, Eddie Haddad, Frank Scott,
Fred Desrosiers, Freddy Fuller, Harold Mann, Jamie Ollenberger,
Jimmy Walters, Lindy Lindmoser, Manny Sobral and Matt O'Brien.
ALL HAVE HAD SIGNIFICANT ACHIEVEMENTS IN AMATEUR BOXING
in BRITISH COLUMBIA and for BRITISH COLUMBIA.

Achievement alone is not the sole criteria when it comes time to
select boxers. As we go through this process in the past and in the
future there will be boxers and builders that deserve to be selected
for their skills, achievements and contributions to the betterment of boxing,
but for many reasons they may not get enough support.

Email  

Les Hamilton 1971 - 1972
D Hoyt 1978 - 1979
L Rolfe 1979 - 1984
K Howard 1979 - 1980
L Mann 1979 - 1980
G Bie 1988-1989-1990

The list from 1969 onwards is a good starting point from a National focus, and there are plenty of BV boxers scattered throughout the decades from 1969 with the likes of Pat O'Reilly jr. in 1969, and tthe big year in 1970 with Neil Austin, Joe Cooke, Frank Scott, Freddy Fuller, Darryl Olson and Jack Meda. Btween 1973 to 2001 we have three from Vancouver Island of course when the mainland crowd discuss boxers they often overlook the impact of Vancouver Island in the game. Remember JACK SNAITH, JASON HEIT and DONNIE ORR.

Take Donnie, his great achievement was not winning a Canadian title in 2001, it was that amazing quality of a champion when in 2000, he fought back with injuries to win the box-off competition to win a spot on the Canadian A-team, then found that hidden strength to win in International bouts to earn a spot on the 2000 Olympic team. Now Donnie was nominated in 2010 but there were too many names from 1948 to 1988 that were selected ahead of him by a fair and democratic process.

In the builders section in 2010, current coach of A-team member KENNY LALLY was nominated, but once again some of the ledgend of years gone by were given the first shot, but we are now waiting to see what happens in 2012 and then maybe Pegues will be nominated and selected to join the legends of BC boxing. Every year anyone can be nominated, but in the end only a select few will be selected, and even if a great nominee is overlooked at some future date the light will shine.

Email  

Nobody is coming down on pro boxer McLellan, attitude is an important quality
and winning an amateur or pro title is nice, but respect and responsibility are two important qualities.
Now it is interesting that some former amateur boxer who gained experience in a registered amateur club and has gone onto success in pro boxer is quick to dismiss amateur boxing because of personal issues. Many of us that have been involved in amateur boxing could prepare our own list of personal issues but in any list balance between the positive and the negative is very important. In real boxing activity, BALANCE is one of the key requirements for SUCCESS. Without BALANCE we are lost regardless of the win-loss record or the titles that are borrowed until they are lost.

Email  

Not sure who the one-time junior champion is that you discussing

I believe it to be Matt .

As time goes by, there are many more that should be considered such as one of the original 1939 Golden Gloves champions KENNY LINDSAY.

Of interest, after that tournament, Lindsay turned pro and would compete from 1940 to 1949 including bouts with DADO MARINO, MANUAL ORTIZ and JACKIE JURICH. A well know competitor wad Vancouver based JACKIE TURNER.

Lindsay was managed by Arnold Bertram.

another name that needs to be considered for 2012 is ROGER ADOLPH.
If it was a decision between ROGER ADOLPH and GERONIMO BIE, it would be a no contest, Roger could make the All-Rounder, boxer or builder catagories in a heartbeat. The best Bie could do is hope to get nominated in the boxer
catagory and then hope that he is not up against some quality competition.

Although we are not running a boxing nice guy popularity contest, character
and positive contributions to the sport are important considerations in selecting
folks for permanent recognition. Winning a Canadian title and a medal in International competition are nice achievements, but they are not golden keys
that will unlock a hall of fame door.

NOMINATIONS for 2012
Nominations close for the 2012 selection on June 30, 2012.
However, the list is growing for 2012 nominees.

The first nominated was ROGER ADOLPH, All-Rounder.

Some other early nominations are boxers
DONNY ORR and TONY DUFFY.

for events, the 1984 JUNIOR NATIONALS and the
SENIOR OLYMPIC BOX-OFFS that took place in
May 1984 in Burnaby, BC.

Boxing club nominated is the NANAIMO BOXING CLUB.

Builders are GEORGE SHIELS and CHARLES JOHN.

It is expected by June 30th. that there will be additional
nominations as there are many worthy candidates.

Folks may suggest names and I will mention them on the
facebook site, and see if someone nominates them.

some new nominations push to list to 13 with a closing deadline being June 30, 2012. some new nominations include the COOKE FAMILY, HARRY TWIST and
MICHAEL OLAJIDE JR.

Les Hamilton 1971 - 1972
D Hoyt 1978 - 1979
L Rolfe 1979 - 1984
K Howard 1979 - 1980
L Mann 1979 - 1980
G Bie 1988-1989-1990

Now if we were to follow the line that only boxers that have won Canadian championships should get selected then a boxer like CLIFF BALLENDINE
would never get nominated let alone selected. In 1980, he was on the BC TEAM
for the junior nationals. He easily defeated his first two opponents, but in the finals he lost to ASIF DAR, and Asif was named the best boxer in the tournament. Now, CLIFF would be a perfect candidate for a nomination in the
JUNIOR/YOUTH category with or without a Canadian title. The reason was he was the best junior boxers in BC between 1978 and 1980, and likely one of the best of all time. So, the fact he did not win a Canadian title does not diminish his high standing. To list all of the boxers he defeated as a junior would take a long time, but in many cases he stopped them.

if someone could name a better junior boxer of BC between say 1969 to 1999, I am all eyes and ears, because I would like to hear a few of the names.

Asif Dar was a great boxer during the 80's quite possibly the best to come out of Toronto. Due to politics and racism back in those days he was taken advantage of and failed to reach his full potential. Also,It's difficult to find facts to support my argument.

1987 Began his boxing career
1981 he won a championship in BC
1982 he won a championship in Montreal
1985 he was the Lightweight Champion of Canada and featured on Wide World of Sports
later on that year he won GOLD at the OTTAWA Canadian Cup
1986 Commonwealth Games received a GOLD medal
1987 in Athens Greece, he received a Gold Medal
1988 he was at the North Carolina Olympics
later on that year he fought in Korea and was sucker punched, also the German referee sat on him to stop him from getting up, it was no surprise that a German fighter won a Gold medal later on that day.(haha)

He was constantly beating guys in higher weight classes. Dar was constantly taken advantage of throughout his boxing career. He had the skill and potential to go very far and quite possibly could have been one of the best.

Theres a lot more info that I failed to mention due to the lack of availability.

Email  

Hey Brian , My man GERONIMO BIE should be in BC Boxing Hall of Fame before Matt O"Brian no disrepect to Matt but by far Geronimo was alot better then MAtt was in the amatuers. I think you guys are leaving alot of people out ,I know all of them you cant do in one year . Brian is WAYNE SPONAGLE in the BC Amatuer Hall of Fame????? I guess its who you know and who likes you on the board to get in.

Yes i agree that Geronimo should be in and gave my opinion previously but to look on this forum and see Mr Olajide up for nomination does not make an sense in any discussion in an amateur hall of fame stop insulting the people that you have already elected Pro ok but i believe you are calling this the BCAB HALL OF FAME .

So any names listed on this site of folks that have not been inducted or nominated
will be added to the list. So please list the names of any that should be considered
and Geronimo Bie will be added and any others that are named.

anyone can be nominated, that does not mean that they will get picked.

Quote: Jeff Henwood
Hey Brian , My man GERONIMO BIE should be in BC Boxing Hall of Fame before Matt O"Brian no disrepect to Matt but by far Geronimo was alot better then MAtt was in the amatuers. I think you guys are leaving alot of people out ,I know all of them you cant do in one year . Brian is WAYNE SPONAGLE in the BC Amatuer Hall of Fame????? I guess its who you know and who likes you on the board to get in.

Wayne is in the Prince George Sports Hall of Fame. At some time Bob Pegues

may get nominated. He was nominated in 2010, but was not picked.

add the current canadian champ Tyson "the prince of Hali/King of Canada" Cave to this list and automatically induct into the hall of fame his amateur record speaks for itself

and how much Money do you get for getting in to the hall of fame?

Chingy you are a fool,do everybody a big favor and stay off the site.Where do clown's like you come from?You need help with your dillusion's.You are a pathetic loser,time to grow up.

I'm sorry BC is 4 times the size of nova scotia and we have double the boxers on the senior mens national team as you do. and i'm sorry we won the ship building contract and you didn't. by the way i go by C-MONEY now. loser.

and that aint no delusion that is raw cold hard fact

Quote: Jeff Henwood

thanks for your support of Geronimo Bie and Wayne Sponagle, they have now been nominated for 2012. I am assuming Bie for boxer, and Sponagle for builder.
the Sponagle name brings back memories of Barry Sponagle.

No guarantees that they will be selected as someone will need to lead the charge for them with backgrounds and achievements.

Email  

Quote: C-MONEY
I'm sorry BC is 4 times the size of nova scotia and we have double the boxers on the senior mens national team as you do. and i'm sorry we won the ship building contract and you didn't. by the way i go by C-MONEY now. loser.

There was a time when BC had the majority of memberson the Canadian team such as 1970.

To recognize the excellence of BC boxing I have recently added a couple of stories titled:
*The Golded Age Of Amateur Boxing 1939 to 1968 and
*Beyond The Golden Years, The Road To Glory 1969 to 1984

Email  

Quote: Ahmed N
Asif Dar was a great boxer during the 80's quite possibly the best to come out of Toronto. Due to politics and racism back in those days he was taken advantage of and failed to reach his full potential. Also,It's difficult to find facts to support my argument.

1987 Began his boxing career
1981 he won a championship in BC
1982 he won a championship in Montreal
1985 he was the Lightweight Champion of Canada and featured on Wide World of Sports
later on that year he won GOLD at the OTTAWA Canadian Cup
1986 Commonwealth Games received a GOLD medal
1987 in Athens Greece, he received a Gold Medal
1988 he was at the North Carolina Olympics
later on that year he fought in Korea and was sucker punched, also the German referee sat on him to stop him from getting up, it was no surprise that a German fighter won a Gold medal later on that day.(haha)

He was constantly beating guys in higher weight classes. Dar was constantly taken advantage of throughout his boxing career. He had the skill and potential to go very far and quite possibly could have been one of the best.

Theres a lot more info that I failed to mention due to the lack of availability.

Two important records that ASIF obtained:
1980: Voted the best junior boxer in Canada
1985: Voted the best senior boxer in Canada

*However, Asif Dar does not qualify for a spot in the
BRITISH COLUMBIA AMATEUR BOXING HALL OF FAME.
Biut, he should be in an ONTARIO AMATEUR BOXING
HALL of FAME, the BOXING CANADA HALL of FAME,
and an ONTARIO and TORONTO SPORTS HALLS of FAME
So the question is how many halls of fame is Asif Dar in?

Email  

Quote: C-MONEY

So, sorry to hear you have the tag loser connected to your on-line, hide your
real name, name.

Email  

2012 NOMINATIONS: twenty names in the running
Interesting collection of names etc. from Allan Bayne to Wayne Sponagle.

They range from all-rounder ROGER ADOLPH to junior/youth TONY DUFFY

They include two boxing clubs:
NANAIMO BOXING CLUB and the SPRUCE CAPITAL WARRIORS
And, in the event category it has the
1984 Junior National and Senior Box-offs
(Top three junior boxers in that tournament were
Grenier, Olson and Hilton.

Some of the builders include:
JOHN O'SHEA, BERT LOWES, GEORGE SHIELS, GEORGE ARMSON

Some of the boxers:
Laurie Mann, Geronimo Bie, Donnie Orr.

Email  

The ones selected for 2012 will be announced by July 1st.

Email  

SMITTY, just to let you know that GERONIMO BIE is a 2012 nominee, but
regardless of his list of titles, his name will likely never see the light of day in any
Boxing Hall of Fame.

Email  

It is now official, the ones selected have been named,

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Free Web Tools   Free Web Hosting   Cheap Domains