Return to Website

538th Engineer Battalion Message Board

Welcome to the 538th Message Forum. This Forum is for all veterans and former members of the 538th Engineer Battalion to come together. This is for everyones use so please keep it CLEAN.

538th Engineer Battalion Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for people who served with E.G. Weisenburn

Looking for anybody who served with E.G. Weisenburn in thailand he was with 285th engr.det. XVIII abn.corps out of ft.bragg n.c. and went to thailand in about 1969 with Co. C,538th engineer bn.(construction) at camp samae any pics or info would be greatly appreciated unfortunatly he passed away in june of 1976 from a motorcycle accident when i was 4yrs old so i don't have much info or personal items of his just want to hear stories or pictures when he was there thank you aaron weisenburn

Re: Looking for people who served with E.G. Weisenburn

Aaron, I'll keep my eyes and ears open to what your're hoping for in pics and stories on your dadand what he did in Thailand. Please keep me in mind for anyone associated with the Friendship Highway project that had a monument dedicated to the effort on 11 December 1968 in Korat, Thailand. We need pics and stories of the first monument and the project. There is a lot of stuff on the web but not that much on the monument at Korat or the building of the road specifically. The new monument is all but done and I hear there is more happening but I haven't got it pinned down yet.
We are looking for new members to our VFW post and if we hit the numbers by November we qualify for some Life Memberships to lotto off to one of our annual paying members. So Keep us in mind if you hear of anyone that would qualify as a War Vet needing to join a post. I have big dreams of our post serving the Vets that comes to Korat.
If you ever plan to visit, one of our members would love to help show you the Camp and the road that the 538th helped build when your dad was in. Just contact me or any of the post officers.
Sincerely,
Chappie Chapman, Adjutant
VFW Post 10217, Korat, Thailand

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Looking for anybody who served with E.G. Weisenburn in thailand he was with 285th engr.det. XVIII abn.corps out of ft.bragg n.c. and went to thailand in about 1969 with Co. C,538th engineer bn.(construction) at camp samae any pics or info would be greatly appreciated unfortunatly he passed away in june of 1976 from a motorcycle accident when i was 4yrs old so i don't have much info or personal items of his just want to hear stories or pictures when he was there thank you aaron weisenburn

Re: Looking for people who served with E.G. Weisenburn

The 538th Construction Engineer Battalion along with the 44th Engineers helped build the Korat Airfield in 1965.

The 538th, with four companies A, B, C, and D were one of the several Engineer Companies responsible for building the "Friendship Highway" from Korat to Ubon. The purpose of the road was to haul bombs from the seaport to the air bases at Ubon and Udorn, so they could be flown to Vietnam and used on the enemy.

I served with C Company of the 538th from April 1966 through April 1967. We were located on top of the Khao Yai Mountain (Also called Korat Mountain or Big Mountain). My duties was honcho of 20 Thai natives that were used to clear jungle, set culverts, build head-walls, build and maintain our outpost accommodations.

During this time we lived in hooch's in the middle of the jungle.

Thanks for the offer but I am already a life member in the VFW.