Return to Website

538th Engineer Battalion Message Board

Welcome to the 538th Message Forum. This Forum is for all veterans and former members of the 538th Engineer Battalion to come together. This is for everyones use so please keep it CLEAN.

538th Engineer Battalion Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 538th

Replying to Gary Speer:
I too have had a lot of cancer problems, prostate cancer 97, and 4 malignant melanoma. I was with the group that left Fort Knox in 1965 and stayed at Camp Essayons until May of '66. I would sure like to hear from the guys from our company. I was the one who worked out with the weights with Bill Eggers and Nick. So if you guys are out there, give me a shout.
Taylor

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I SERVED WITH D COMANY AT FT KNOX 63-64 WHEN I WENT TO FT EUSTIS FOR AIRCRAFT ELECTRIAN SCHOOL. AFTER SCHOOL WENT TO ATLANTA GA AND THEN TO QUINHON VIETNAM
WHERE A RAN INTO A GUY WHO WAS DRIVING A 538TH TRUCK AND HE SAID THAT THE 538TH WAS IN THAILAND. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY HE WAS IN VIETNAM

Re: 538th

I to was with the 538 th engineers when it left Fort Knox. Took a crowded puddle jumper to Oakland, California , and then a nice relaxing cruise to Thailand. It helped I was only 17 years old so it was one big adventure. Spent the first 30 days in Thailand at Camp Friendship, and then on to what was called at that time Cobra. Spent my year tour of duty in the communications hooch as a switchboard operator. Moved on to Berlin, Germany, and served out my three year stint. Sometimes wishing I'd stayed in Thailand, especially sitting here looking out the window, watching all the snow come down.