Return to Website

538th Engineer Battalion Message Board

Welcome to the 538th Message Forum. This Forum is for all veterans and former members of the 538th Engineer Battalion to come together. This is for everyones use so please keep it CLEAN.

538th Engineer Battalion Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My Father's Service during World War II

I hope someone can help me. My father (Gerald M. McCann) had served during World War II in North Africa with the 609th Aviation(Engineering) Battalion before being would and sent home stateside. I don't know his exact period of service (he had passed away when I was one year onld back in the early 60's) and my mom is unsure of his period as well. I would very much like to find out how I can contact someone (or get a website) by which I can "chat" with someone and fill me in my father's service as i hope there is someone that knew my dad while he served. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

I can be reached at jerrymccnn@yahoo.com

Thank you,

Jerry M. McCann (his son)

Re: My Father's Service during World War II

My uncle and cousin served in North Africa in the Air Corp as I was told. My uncle is dead but my cousin is still kicking and maybe he knew of your dad.
I'm hunting for pics on the moument dedication or just pics of when it was new of Friendship Highway that was built by the 538th, 809th, 697th and the Thai 23rd Engineer Battalions. If you know of anyone that has something or a source to go to that would be great. The vets from then have some great stuff on some websites that they built to round up the gang but they don't have the kind of stuff I'm looking for on the sites. So if you could pass my need along that would be great and I don't forget things like your WWII request and will check the uncles DD214 when I find it.
Also I'm looking for new post members to hit the numbers needed to receive some free Life memberships to be lotto'd out to our annual paying members. If you know of someone send them my way and we'll take care of them.
Also, if you come to Korat, Thailand please drop us a line and one of the members will show you around.
Sincerely,
Chappie Chapman, Adjutant
VFW Post 10217, Korat, Thailand

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I hope someone can help me. My father (Gerald M. McCann) had served during World War II in North Africa with the 609th Aviation(Engineering) Battalion before being would and sent home stateside. I don't know his exact period of service (he had passed away when I was one year onld back in the early 60's) and my mom is unsure of his period as well. I would very much like to find out how I can contact someone (or get a website) by which I can "chat" with someone and fill me in my father's service as i hope there is someone that knew my dad while he served. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

I can be reached at jerrymccnn@yahoo.com

Thank you,

Jerry M. McCann (his son)