Return to Website

538th Engineer Battalion Message Board

Welcome to the 538th Message Forum. This Forum is for all veterans and former members of the 538th Engineer Battalion to come together. This is for everyones use so please keep it CLEAN.

538th Engineer Battalion Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
C Company, 538th Eng Bn

My father, SPC/5 Earnest L. Rogers (he went by Leamon), was a member of Company C, 538th Eng Bn, from October 1966 until October 1967 at Camp Sungwien. He was from London, Kentucky, and he passed away in 1985 without having spoken much about his time in the Army. I would be interested to hear from people in Company C who have stories or photos from that time frame. Thanks.

Re: C Company, 538th Eng Bn

I was assigned to Co C, 538th Eng from Aug 67 thru July 68. I don't recall the name Rogers, although at this point in my life there are a lot of things I don't recall. Maybe a description or what his job was would jog my memory. Feel free to e-mail if you want or are still interested. I do have some slides from there, but not real sure how to get them into the computer.

Travis, I too was with the 538th Engineers with your father. I too was a 51B20-Carpenter. I was in charge of camp maintenance and new camp projects. His name doesn't seem familiar at this point. I think the "hootch" he is standing by might have been across from mine. Do you have the names of any of the guys he used to hang with. Sorry to hear about his death, what did he die of. Feel free to contact me at my personal email address: familyresearcher98@yahoo.com.

Travis, I'll keep an eye out for anyone that is from the "C" Company. My neighbor, who worked in the warehouse of "A" Company, in 1967, remembers 2Lt William A. Venable,III, at Camp Pordaeng, "Friendship Highway Project" Route 304, Phakthong Chai, very well. If in your circle somone remembers Venable and has contact information that would be great!
Also my VFW post has been working to move the monument, dedicated 11 December 1968, from under the 5 year old overpass to a new location in plain view for all to see as they head out of Korat to Phakthong Chai. Email SPAM Filters are making it real tough to let people know that we would like some pics of the ceremony or the earliest pics possible of the monument. There is one on the 697th Pipeline site that is nothing like the one moved. So help if you can.
The last thing is I'm working hard to hit the number's needed by November, for some free Life Memberships to be lotto'd off to our annual paying members. If you know war vets that are not VFW members, and would like to join our post, please send them our way. I've got some big dreams that if they are fulfilled will serve the veteran community for years to come.
Sincerely,
Chappie Chapman, Adjutant
VFW Post 10217, Korat, Thailand

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

My father, SPC/5 Earnest L. Rogers (he went by Leamon), was a member of Company C, 538th Eng Bn, from October 1966 until October 1967 at Camp Sungwien. He was from London, Kentucky, and he passed away in 1985 without having spoken much about his time in the Army. I would be interested to hear from people in Company C who have stories or photos from that time frame. Thanks.