Issues Affecting American Indians in Tennessee
This message board is provided as a public service for the specific purpose of sharing and discussing any and all issues that directly or indirectly pertain to Native American Indians living in Tennessee.
This board does not represent or speak for any organization.

American Indians in Tennessee government volunteer service
TN Archaeological Advisory Council
mandated 3 Native American representatives
  • Michael Lynch, West Tennessee (2008-12)
         member, Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma
  • Pat Cummins, Middle Tennessee (2004-08)
         descendant, Cherokee
  • Mark Cantrell, Middle Tennessee (2010-14)
         unknown tribal affiliation
  •   TN Historical Commission
    mandated inclusion of person/s
    of Native American ancestry

• Brent A. Cox (2008-2012)
    444 Cades Atwood Road
    Milan, Tennessee 38358
    731-723-9994

•   Official Disclaimer and Notice
    Board Owner reserves the right to edit or delete any post deemed inappropriate.   |   Material appearing here is distributed without profit or monetary gain to those who have expressed an interest in receiving the material for research and educational purposes, in accordance with Title 17 USC §107.  |  Board Owner assumes no responsibility for the content of posts or for any actions resulting from posts made by anyone who chooses to use this public message board. The opinions expressed on this message board do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the message board owner or any visitors.  |  All posts and wording therein belong to the Original Author. Get permission from the Original Author before "lifting" their post for use elsewhere. It's the respectful (ie, native) way.  |  The original board was begun 8 October 2002. This board was created 28 October 2008.
    TN Commission of Indian Affairs
    Website of the (defunct) TCIA * History of the 1st & 2nd TNCIA

Greene (CNO) v. TCIA   filed 30 June 2010
    Commission terminated     30 June 2010

Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    Windy, if what you said is taken as an absolute truth....

In reference to that article by "Put me in the Spotlight" Carol Cowan Watts.

Then CCW should not be allowed to enroll in CN-- her parents/grandparents left the nation and lived as white. The only difference between her and thousands of others is that an important ancestor of hers was recorded on the RIGHT roll.

And that, in one sentence is what is wrong with Cherokee enrollment, or lack thereof.

I still do not support the sudden appearance of "tribes" run by people who know nothing about tribes. But I do think there should be more than one roll considered when proving "Indianess."

Re: Windy, if what you said is taken as an absolute truth....

Donna D
    In reference to that article by "Put me in the Spotlight" Carol Cowan Watts.

Then CCW should not be allowed to enroll in CN-- her parents/grandparents left the nation and lived as white. The only difference between her and thousands of others is that an important ancestor of hers was recorded on the RIGHT roll.

And that, in one sentence is what is wrong with Cherokee enrollment, or lack thereof.

I still do not support the sudden appearance of "tribes" run by people who know nothing about tribes. But I do think there should be more than one roll considered when proving "Indianess."

Rules / criteria for enrollment have changed over the years for both the CN and EBCI. It's their right to determine what, if any, criteria to use. Depending on the Roll used (by the one seeking enrollment), perhaps petitioning the tribal government to look at ALL their documents to show a connection/relationship could be done ... but ultimately it's their right to say yes or no.

As others have said over the years, it doesn't deminish the blood of the person's ancestors NOR does it prevent anyone from learning ... but if enrollment is NOT possible, then Life goes on. Be happy; learn; live.

jmho

Oh, I never said the tribes shouldn't create their own criteria, matter of fact, I think it would be a great idea if at least one of them actually did. The Dawes Commission (federal government) set up CNOs, they (the feds) also set up UKB's and Eastern Band's criteria. I don't think any of the 3 Cherokee tribes qualify to be a "nation" if they do not represent all of the Cherokee people. After all, each is only open to a selected segment of the Cherokee population. To properly claim the title, "nation," at least one of them should expand their enrollment criteria to include all of the Cherokee rolls. Of course, there would still be those who are ineligible and are unhappy about it, but it would seem to go a long way to creating a true Cherokee Nation. And less for those who are ineligible to gripe about.

Donna D
    Oh, I never said the tribes shouldn't create their own criteria, matter of fact, I think it would be a great idea if at least one of them actually did. The Dawes Commission (federal government) set up CNOs, they (the feds) also set up UKB's and Eastern Band's criteria. I don't think any of the 3 Cherokee tribes qualify to be a "nation" if they do not represent all of the Cherokee people. After all, each is only open to a selected segment of the Cherokee population. To properly claim the title, "nation," at least one of them should expand their enrollment criteria to include all of the Cherokee rolls. Of course, there would still be those who are ineligible and are unhappy about it, but it would seem to go a long way to creating a true Cherokee Nation. And less for those who are ineligible to gripe about.

it can still change, should the Cherokee people want it to change ... just like with anything else. Some want less criteria, others want far more. Whenever they agree to compromise, change will happen - or it will be left as it.

politics are one thing; living and learning without feeling the need to change documents to prove 'left' or 'right' is yet another thing.

the governing Cherokee tribal governments and their rules and laws are their own. No one who is outside of those rules and laws can demand anything. It would be like Washington State trying to tell Tennesseans how to live - or another Nation (France, Peru, China, Canada) trying to tell the United States what's right for the US (and actually, they do try to tell the US but the US politicians don't listen). lol

that's all i'm saying/have said.

Not sure what you said

Sounded kinda 'politiciany' to me. I never demanded anything, I merely said it was my opinion that no entity could call itself a nation if it did not represent all of its people. The EBCI are changing the rules, at least going back to the rules. Looks like they will soon be a couple thousand shorter on their rolls. I know there are people who also want to get rid of the $10 Indians that were enrolled on the original Baker Roll, but I don't see how that can be accomplished.

Re: Not sure what you said

oh my ... Donna, i didn't mean to say or even suggest you demanded anything!

No, no entity should call itself a 'nation' if it doesn't represent all of its citizens .... but that can be said of all Nations, groups, organizations, etc., up to and including this nation known as the United States. Even in a small 'organization' known as marriage, neither partner will ever be totally happy with each and every decision made - jointly or separately.

Don't mean to sound 'politiciany' ... just giving my honest feelings, thoughts, and opinions. Got no one whispering in my ear, telling me what to say, even. LOL it's just me, all me and nothing but me.

Heh, well, I knew that... Anyways, we can agree that a better job COULD be done. But I guess that's true of about everything.

Edited to add: Plus, I am not real happy with Miz Watts, considering just a few years ago, she was working to get her enrollment papers in line--now she's one of the loudest against others who are doing the same as she--or trying at least. It seems as if many who achieve forget what they went through to get there--and how the heck did she get to be an elected official so fast? Usually one has to grow up in the community so people at least know you.

Just so we're straight--I support individuals on their quest to be enrolled, no support at all for clubs trying to be "tribes."

So what is the Eastern Bands tribal seal?

or is it Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians?

(the above actually says Eastern Band of the Cherokee Nation).. Link is here..

http://www.cherokee-nc.com/index.php

The change has been slow though the morph to the new tribal lingo has occurred in the last 5 or six years with the change to the seal as well

The nation terminology versus the use of tribe is pretty recent. Someone will ocrrect me if I'm wrong, but I do believe EBCI originally stood for Eastern Band of Cherokee Incorporated. And I think it had to do with how they had to incorporate in North Carolina at the time. Then, over the years, people started calling it Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. I haven't really paid much attention as to when Nation began appearing on the EBC seal. Maybe because EBC hasn't made a big deal about it, it's been flying under the radar. It made more of an impact when CNO began saying Cherokee Nation because they were claiming THEY were the Cherokee Nation and saying that UKB and EBC were not true governmental bodies. Now, anyone who has followed the politics over the last few decades, knows that CNO was originally called The Western Band and there are people today who still use that term, but it's mostly us old geezers. Then, around 1976 or so, they became the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma and that's when they starting putting down the other Cherokee tribes. When Wilma Mankiller was chief, the rhetoric became really loud and strident that CNO was the "real" nation and UKB and EBC weren't real tribes. Since CNO was getting most of the money and had many more people, for a while there it looked like the BIA might start backing them. They still try to bully the smaller Cherokee tribes, who knows why? Perhaps it is because both the UKB and EBC has a higher ratio of full bloods than CNO--jealousy? Could be. Seems like they just want to be the big dog on the block. Now they have dropped the Oklahoma in an effort to puff themselves up more. Silly me, I thought Chad Smith was a pretty nice guy back when he was a marshal. Of course, all I know about him these days is 2nd and 3rd hand. Anyway, the only beef I have with CNO is that they try to bully the smaller Cherokee tribes. Not nice.

Oh, anyone else notice that John Cornsilk is running for Chief? That could get interesting if he wins.

TN & American Indian Related Links
  • Tennessee Legislature
  • Tennessee Executive Branch
  • Federal Government Links
  • Tennessee.gov
  • TN Attorney General
  • TnCIA official website

• Native American Indian Association of Tennessee (NAIA)
    Advisory Council on Tennessee Indian Affairs (ACTIA)
    Alliance for Native American Indian Rights (ANAIR)
    Tennessee Native American Convention (TNNAC)
    Tennessee Trail of Tears Association (TnTOTA)
    Tn Commission of Indian Affairs (Unofficial)
    Chattanooga InterTribal Association (CITA)
    InterTribal Sacred Land Trust (ITSLT)
    The Forum
    Tanasi Journal
    Native Nashville
    TN Indian Affairs Blog
    Chikamaka History Timeline
    Mundo Hispano/Hispanic World
    Tennessee Ancient Sites Conservancy
    Indian Burial & Sacred Grounds Watch

National Native News Links
    Indianz.com
    Indian Country News
    NativeBiz
    NARF
    Indian Country
    Wotanging Ikche/
    Native American News
    NAGPRA
    Pechanga.net
    Aboriginal/First Nations/Native
    News in Canada
    Mohawk Nation News - Daily News from the Mohawk Nation Native News
    Native American Times,
    the nation's largest
    independent Indian
    news source
    On The Wings
    of Eagles

NativeNews Online
    Native news,
    Views and Legends

Health Needs / Job Seeker Links
    Partnership for
    Prescription Assistance
    CMATS - TN Dept of Labor
    & Workforce Development
    Manpower Inc.
    Locate Your KELLY Office

One Feather Books Poison's Icons Badge

345058 Visitors to Original Board

Each individual post and its content are the sole responsibility of its Author.