Issues Affecting American Indians in Tennessee
This message board is provided as a public service for the specific purpose of sharing and discussing any and all issues that directly or indirectly pertain to Native American Indians living in Tennessee.
This board does not represent or speak for any organization.

American Indians in Tennessee government volunteer service
TN Archaeological Advisory Council
mandated 3 Native American representatives
  • Michael Lynch, West Tennessee (2008-12)
         member, Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma
  • Pat Cummins, Middle Tennessee (2004-08)
         descendant, Cherokee
  • Mark Cantrell, Middle Tennessee (2010-14)
         unknown tribal affiliation
  •   TN Historical Commission
    mandated inclusion of person/s
    of Native American ancestry

• Brent A. Cox (2008-2012)
    444 Cades Atwood Road
    Milan, Tennessee 38358
    731-723-9994

•   Official Disclaimer and Notice
    Board Owner reserves the right to edit or delete any post deemed inappropriate.   |   Material appearing here is distributed without profit or monetary gain to those who have expressed an interest in receiving the material for research and educational purposes, in accordance with Title 17 USC §107.  |  Board Owner assumes no responsibility for the content of posts or for any actions resulting from posts made by anyone who chooses to use this public message board. The opinions expressed on this message board do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the message board owner or any visitors.  |  All posts and wording therein belong to the Original Author. Get permission from the Original Author before "lifting" their post for use elsewhere. It's the respectful (ie, native) way.  |  The original board was begun 8 October 2002. This board was created 28 October 2008.
    TN Commission of Indian Affairs
    Website of the (defunct) TCIA * History of the 1st & 2nd TNCIA

Greene (CNO) v. TCIA   filed 30 June 2010
    Commission terminated     30 June 2010

Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    I hate to tell you this...

But, Indians DO NOT go to college for free. The truth is, there are EXTREMELY FEW scholarships out there for Indians. Those that are out there, require that one meet the federal standards to get them--meaning you have to have at least 1/4 Indian blood--verifiable. There is a lot of competition for them. You would do better to go for many of the smaller, more plentiful scholarships out there. Fraternities, sororities, charitable organizations ALL offer your kids a better shot at college money than the few Indian scholarships that are out there.

Whether or not your group has this placebo of state recognition, no one can deny you your true heritage, it is what you are. How you were raised and with whom determines what you are, no outsider can change that. You may have the right (albeit termporary) to sell your wares as native made, but their level of quality has to be able to compete on the open marketplace. Savvy buyers know better, and those that buy trash, well, what can I say, if you sell it cheap enough, someone will buy it--just look under "Native American" on ebay.

I wonder if Mumpower actually read any of the "volumes of information," and if so, is he even capable of connecting the dots. Because in order to prove native heritage, these groups would have to prove 190 years of existence as a tribal unit. Heck, most of these guys didn't even know each other ten years ago!

Aside from that, Mumpower is an idiot.

Re: I hate to tell you this...

Nicely stated

Re: its biggest, most important task

"...volumes of information proving the heritage of Tennessee Native Americans and their tribes." I would like to ask that the transcripted references to these historical "volumes" be posted on this website, in order that we may all study them and determine for ourselves that these "tribes" really do exist. This is a very simple request.

Let's go back to 1838 and Red Clay Tennessee when the Cherokees marched off to Indian Territory. The next year, in Tennessee in 1839, what early histories of the state record an Indian settlement or tribe in Tennessee? What county histories? What federal, state or county documents? Are there testimonials from people living at that time? Where were the location of Indian settlements recorded? Who were their leaders and what did they do? How did they interact with the incoming white settlers? Where are the records proving a connection to, and descent from, an historic Tennessee tribe?

http://www.tntimes.net/

It's All About the MONEY
    Special Guest Op-Ed
    by TN State Representative Jason Mumpower, 8 July 2010

I want to commend the Tennessee Commission of Indian Affairs for recently accomplishing their primary task of recognizing legitimate Native American tribes. This decision on recognition is precisely why the commission was created. By recognizing these tribes we have given our fellow Tennesseans of Native American heritage the true depth of their birthright. For far too long, Native Americans throughout Tennessee have been denied basic human and civil rights afforded others simply because they had never gone through a formal recognition process. Tennessee Native Americans have been treated as second class citizens, denied the opportunity of commerce, and deprived of scholarship opportunities and other assistance afforded others who have received recognition.

After more than two decades, the Tennessee Commission of Indian Affairs completed its task of recognizing Tennessee’s tribes. The statute that created the commission gave it the authority to act on recognition matters independently. After formally recognizing six Tennessee tribes in mid-June, the Oklahoma-based Cherokee Nation filed suit last week in Nashville Chancery Court to void the commission’s decision, therefore stripping Tennessee tribes of rightful recognition.

I find it extraordinarily unfortunate and shameful that the Cherokee Nation, a group based in Oklahoma, is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to deny Tennesseans their heritage. Having been involved in the issue of Native American recognition in Tennessee for several years now, I have learned that the Cherokee Nation’s primary purpose is to prevent others from receiving what they have, therefore preventing anyone else from sharing in the fruits they already enjoy. Bottom line: for the Cherokee Nation, it’s all about the money.

Adding insult to injury, a spokesman for Cherokee Nation told USA Today the Tennessee tribes were nothing more than “culture clubs.” Despite their protestations, the Cherokee Nation is not all interested in issues of heritage. They are simply interested in protecting the pot of federal money from which they draw. Why else would a group from Oklahoma hire Tennessee lobbyists and lawyers to work on their behalf to deny benefits to thousands of Tennesseans who rightfully deserve it?

Over the past several years, I have been presented with volumes of information proving the heritage of Tennessee Native Americans and their tribes. It is time for us to finally stop denying these Tennesseans the full depth of their birthright. Tennessee Native Americans deserve not only formal recognition, but also the ability sell their wares, receive scholarships, social assistance, and partake in other aspects related to their legacy. After many years, the Tennessee Commission of Indian Affairs completed its biggest, most important task and did so in fine fashion. I certainly hope Tennesseans will not allow an out-of-state, self-interested group to take what rightfully belongs to our Native American neighbors.

Copyright ©2010
    All rights reserved. This document may not be reprinted without express written permission.

click here to read more op-eds

Yes indeed, no truer words were ever spoken: It IS all about the MONEY!! At least it is for the culture clubs here in Tennessee!!

Mumpower says, "After formally recognizing six Tennessee tribes in mid-June, the Oklahoma-based Cherokee Nation filed suit last week in Nashville Chancery Court to void the commission’s decision, therefore stripping Tennessee tribes of rightful recognition."

"Rightful recognition"?!!! "Rightful"?!! Would it be as "rightful" for Germany, England, Spain, Ireland, Scotland, or even Mexico to create US citizens in THEIR countries? Why not, if Tennessee can create citizens of Cherokee people by ignoring the citizenship criteria of the Cherokee NATION?

I find it extraordinarily unfortunate and shameful that the Cherokee Nation, a group based in Oklahoma, is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to deny Tennesseans their heritage. Having been involved in the issue of Native American recognition in Tennessee for several years now, I have learned that the Cherokee Nation’s primary purpose is to prevent others from receiving what they have, therefore preventing anyone else from sharing in the fruits they already enjoy. Bottom line: for the Cherokee Nation, it’s all about the money.

Adding insult to injury, a spokesman for Cherokee Nation told USA Today the Tennessee tribes were nothing more than “culture clubs.” Despite their protestations, the Cherokee Nation is not all interested in issues of heritage. They are simply interested in protecting the pot of federal money from which they draw. Why else would a group from Oklahoma hire Tennessee lobbyists and lawyers to work on their behalf to deny benefits to thousands of Tennesseans who rightfully deserve it?

The Cherokee Nation is NOT just any ol' "group"; it is a NATION, not some overnight culture club.

The Cherokee Nation is protecting its CITIZENS from cultural theft and identity theft more than worrying about some imagined "pot of money". Last I knew, the Cherokee people don't have some little Leprechans with a magical pot of gold found at the end of every rainbow! ANY money that goes to the Cherokee Nation is based on legal obligations made by the US federal Government through numerous Treaties, court cases, and Congressional Acts; not through the whim and fancy that some seem to imagine.

Mumpower and these kulture klubs are disgusting in the propaganda and lies they continue to try and spread.

Re: its biggest, most important task - providing PROOF

" .... deny benefits to thousands of Tennesseans who rightfully deserve it?

Over the past several years, I have been presented with volumes of information proving the heritage of Tennessee Native Americans and their tribes. It is time for us to finally stop denying these Tennesseans the full depth of their birthright. Tennessee Native Americans deserve not only formal recognition, but also the ability sell their wares, receive scholarships, social assistance, and partake in other aspects related to their legacy. .... I certainly hope Tennesseans will not allow an out-of-state, self-interested group to take what rightfully belongs to our Native American neighbors.

MUMPOWER, show us the PROOF of these groups' claims to legitimate tribal status since YOU claim to have seen it and know it to be true. The BIA DENIED the claims of the jewish group known as the Cherokees of Lawrence County because the BIA has access to federal records and has the knowledge to easily determine FACT from FANTASY.

Just as ALL Nations' proof is available for all to see and know as truth, it should be NO LESS for the culture clubs here!

Otherwise, the Cheroke NATION's actions are justified and legitimate. They are NOT some "outside special interest group", they are the RIGHTFUL GOVERNMENT of the Cherokee people; it IS the CHEROKEE NATION.

Re: its biggest, most important task - providing PROOF

The proof is "GIVE US THE MONEY" bunch of *******s yep that be the yewchis of fake azz krackers

Jason Mumpower, since I live, vote and pay taxes in your district, I have every right to respond to your statement.
    In fact, I will admit voting for you, a vote I have since regretted and wish there had been some way I could take it back.
    I remember well, standing in front of the Bristol Post Office shaking your hand and thanking you for opposing Nathan Vaughn's recognition bill. I also vaguely remember you telling me that these "people" had not proven to you that they were legitimate.
    So what changed?
    We do now know that the only reason you opposed vaughn's bill was because a democrat was sponsoring it and there was likely no other reason.
    We still ask as taxpayers and as voters to be allowed to see this so called "evidence" that "your tribe" is legitimate. History forgot to record it so we ask to be enlightened, after all, WE PAY YOUR SALARY or did you forget that??

Would it also be appropriate to say that we hundreds of voters in your district that tried in vain to convince you to drop your support are also "out of state"? Because we stood up for TRUTH, are we shameful?
    I hate to tell you jason, Sullivan county is in Tennessee and a great deal of it is your district.

For us, it is about TRUTH, not Money!!

TN & American Indian Related Links
  • Tennessee Legislature
  • Tennessee Executive Branch
  • Federal Government Links
  • Tennessee.gov
  • TN Attorney General
  • TnCIA official website

• Native American Indian Association of Tennessee (NAIA)
    Advisory Council on Tennessee Indian Affairs (ACTIA)
    Alliance for Native American Indian Rights (ANAIR)
    Tennessee Native American Convention (TNNAC)
    Tennessee Trail of Tears Association (TnTOTA)
    Tn Commission of Indian Affairs (Unofficial)
    Chattanooga InterTribal Association (CITA)
    InterTribal Sacred Land Trust (ITSLT)
    The Forum
    Tanasi Journal
    Native Nashville
    TN Indian Affairs Blog
    Chikamaka History Timeline
    Mundo Hispano/Hispanic World
    Tennessee Ancient Sites Conservancy
    Indian Burial & Sacred Grounds Watch

National Native News Links
    Indianz.com
    Indian Country News
    NativeBiz
    NARF
    Indian Country
    Wotanging Ikche/
    Native American News
    NAGPRA
    Pechanga.net
    Aboriginal/First Nations/Native
    News in Canada
    Mohawk Nation News - Daily News from the Mohawk Nation Native News
    Native American Times,
    the nation's largest
    independent Indian
    news source
    On The Wings
    of Eagles

NativeNews Online
    Native news,
    Views and Legends

Health Needs / Job Seeker Links
    Partnership for
    Prescription Assistance
    CMATS - TN Dept of Labor
    & Workforce Development
    Manpower Inc.
    Locate Your KELLY Office

One Feather Books Poison's Icons Badge

345058 Visitors to Original Board

Each individual post and its content are the sole responsibility of its Author.