Issues Affecting American Indians in Tennessee
This message board is provided as a public service for the specific purpose of sharing and discussing any and all issues that directly or indirectly pertain to Native American Indians living in Tennessee.
This board does not represent or speak for any organization.

American Indians in Tennessee government volunteer service
TN Archaeological Advisory Council
mandated 3 Native American representatives
  • Michael Lynch, West Tennessee (2008-12)
         member, Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma
  • Pat Cummins, Middle Tennessee (2004-08)
         descendant, Cherokee
  • Mark Cantrell, Middle Tennessee (2010-14)
         unknown tribal affiliation
  •   TN Historical Commission
    mandated inclusion of person/s
    of Native American ancestry

• Brent A. Cox (2008-2012)
    444 Cades Atwood Road
    Milan, Tennessee 38358
    731-723-9994

•   Official Disclaimer and Notice
    Board Owner reserves the right to edit or delete any post deemed inappropriate.   |   Material appearing here is distributed without profit or monetary gain to those who have expressed an interest in receiving the material for research and educational purposes, in accordance with Title 17 USC §107.  |  Board Owner assumes no responsibility for the content of posts or for any actions resulting from posts made by anyone who chooses to use this public message board. The opinions expressed on this message board do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the message board owner or any visitors.  |  All posts and wording therein belong to the Original Author. Get permission from the Original Author before "lifting" their post for use elsewhere. It's the respectful (ie, native) way.  |  The original board was begun 8 October 2002. This board was created 28 October 2008.
    TN Commission of Indian Affairs
    Website of the (defunct) TCIA * History of the 1st & 2nd TNCIA

Greene (CNO) v. TCIA   filed 30 June 2010
    Commission terminated     30 June 2010

Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    Student at Kennesaw State being deported

I have to give my opinion on this one. Apparently, I disagree with everyone. Yes, the girl made several mistakes--trying to avoid trouble with the police, she gives made up information--only making the situation worse. Her family has been in the US since she was 11, she graduated from a Georgia High School and is most of the way through Kennesaw State University. She was stopped and did not have a driver's license, mistake #1, then she lied about her identity, mistake #2. I can chalk those up to youthful stupidity--I've known other young people to do the same things. Here's my beef. Her last name is Coylotl--obviously an Aztec name. I feel deporting her is the equivalent to deporting a full blood American Indian--she's obviously indigenous, name and all. She can't even be lumped in with the "generic Mexicans" who have spanish names and deny being indios. Anyway, I know most of you won't agree--nobody else seems to get it.
    She speaks impeccable English. And I think she should at least be allowed to graduate college.

Re: Student at Kennesaw State being deported

http://blogs.ajc.com/get-schooled-blog/2010/05/13/kennesaw-state-student-from-mexico-now-subject-of-an-arrest-warrant/
    Kennesaw State student from Mexico: Now subject of an arrest warrant.
    12:06 pm May 13, 2010, by Maureen Downey

The situation is worsening for Kennesaw State student Jessica Colotl, who is now the subject of an arrest warrant in Cobb County for giving police a false address. That is what police allege at this point. The AJC is pursing this story and will update throughout the day, hopefully with comments from Jessica or her mother on the address question.

I think that it is a shame that this one student has become a focal point for the anger of many Americans toward illegal immigration. While she made a mistake in lying to police — a bad decision on any count — she likely sees herself as an American, having been here most of her life. And she clearly wants to stay here. Unfortunately, she chose the exact wrong way to make her case.

In an updated AJC story tonight, Colotl’s lawyer, Chris Taylor, issued a statement Thursday in conjunction with several human rights organizations and Latino community groups saying that she is working with the Sheriff’s Office to turn herself in.

“It is obvious from all the documents that I’ve seen that she has done nothing wrong and has given her proper address to Cobb County and immigration officials,” Taylor said. “There has been no crime committed. Jessica looks forward to defending herself against these false and baseless charges.”

According to a new story on the AJC:

“Ms. Colotl knowingly filled out and completed the official Cobb County Sheriff’s Office immigration information with a false statement,” according to a written statement from the sheriff’s office. “She provided and stated she lived at 305 Preston Drive, Duluth Ga., 30096 when in fact she has never lived at this address.”

While driving without a license is a relatively minor offense, making a false statement is a felony with a maximum punishment of five years in prison and a $1,000 fine.

Police have been searching for Colotl, a native of Mexico, since the warrant was issued Wednesday night.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is attempting to reach Colotl or her attorneys.

Colotl, who is 22 according to the Cobb County Sheriff’s Office, first was taken into custody a day after a KSU police officer stopped her on March 29 for “impeding the flow of traffic.” She reportedly told the officer she had a Mexican drivers license but could not find it; she offered him a Mexican passport that expired in August 2007 as identification.

Colotl was arrested the next day, taken to the Cobb County jail and handed over to immigration authorities under an agreement the county has with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the 287(g) program.

Colotl was taken to the Etowah Detention Center in Alabama to await deportation. At the urging of KSU President Daniel Papp, she was released May 1 and given a year’s reprieve so she could complete her degree.

Colotl has been in the United States for much of her life, coming here with her parents when she was 10. Friends said the family moved often until Colotl graduated from Lakeside High School in DeKalb County in 2006 with a 3.8 grade point average.

University officials said she was admitted to KSU as a state resident because she had graduated from a Georgia high school. Undocumented aliens can attend Georgia colleges but they must pay out-of-state tuition, officials said.

Friends said Colotl had two semesters remaining before she receives a degree in political science. Colotl worked at night to earn money for college, according to friends. She was planning to study law after finishing at KSU.

Papp advocated for Colotl based on her involvement at KSU. He asked ICE to put off deporting her.

Papp has said, however, that Colotl will now be billed as an out-of-state student.

“It is sad that Ms. Colotl’s parents chose to enter the United States illegally and ultimately put her in this position” Warren, the sheriff, said in a statement. “However, Ms. Colotl knew that she was in the United States without authority to be here and voluntarily chose to operate a vehicle without a driver’s license, which is a violation of Georgia law. She has further complicated her situation with her blatant disregard for Georgia law by giving false information.”

Re: Student at Kennesaw State being deported

That last sentence was kinda funny, the one about giving false information was a blatant disregard for US law. It's something people will do when they are scared, especially young people. I doubt whether or not complying with a law even entered her mind at that point. But, hey, I have a tendency to put myself in others' positions when trying to figure out what they were thinking.

Like I was saying, her name is Aztec, her family was here long before anyone drew lines. Throw out the interlopers! You know, the ones who now choose who to let in, e.g. the New York would-be bomber.

TN & American Indian Related Links
  • Tennessee Legislature
  • Tennessee Executive Branch
  • Federal Government Links
  • Tennessee.gov
  • TN Attorney General
  • TnCIA official website

• Native American Indian Association of Tennessee (NAIA)
    Advisory Council on Tennessee Indian Affairs (ACTIA)
    Alliance for Native American Indian Rights (ANAIR)
    Tennessee Native American Convention (TNNAC)
    Tennessee Trail of Tears Association (TnTOTA)
    Tn Commission of Indian Affairs (Unofficial)
    Chattanooga InterTribal Association (CITA)
    InterTribal Sacred Land Trust (ITSLT)
    The Forum
    Tanasi Journal
    Native Nashville
    TN Indian Affairs Blog
    Chikamaka History Timeline
    Mundo Hispano/Hispanic World
    Tennessee Ancient Sites Conservancy
    Indian Burial & Sacred Grounds Watch

National Native News Links
    Indianz.com
    Indian Country News
    NativeBiz
    NARF
    Indian Country
    Wotanging Ikche/
    Native American News
    NAGPRA
    Pechanga.net
    Aboriginal/First Nations/Native
    News in Canada
    Mohawk Nation News - Daily News from the Mohawk Nation Native News
    Native American Times,
    the nation's largest
    independent Indian
    news source
    On The Wings
    of Eagles

NativeNews Online
    Native news,
    Views and Legends

Health Needs / Job Seeker Links
    Partnership for
    Prescription Assistance
    CMATS - TN Dept of Labor
    & Workforce Development
    Manpower Inc.
    Locate Your KELLY Office

One Feather Books Poison's Icons Badge

345058 Visitors to Original Board

Each individual post and its content are the sole responsibility of its Author.