Issues Affecting American Indians in Tennessee
This message board is provided as a public service for the specific purpose of sharing and discussing any and all issues that directly or indirectly pertain to Native American Indians living in Tennessee.
This board does not represent or speak for any organization.

American Indians in Tennessee government volunteer service
TN Archaeological Advisory Council
mandated 3 Native American representatives
  • Michael Lynch, West Tennessee (2008-12)
         member, Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma
  • Pat Cummins, Middle Tennessee (2004-08)
         descendant, Cherokee
  • Mark Cantrell, Middle Tennessee (2010-14)
         unknown tribal affiliation
  •   TN Historical Commission
    mandated inclusion of person/s
    of Native American ancestry

• Brent A. Cox (2008-2012)
    444 Cades Atwood Road
    Milan, Tennessee 38358
    731-723-9994

•   Official Disclaimer and Notice
    Board Owner reserves the right to edit or delete any post deemed inappropriate.   |   Material appearing here is distributed without profit or monetary gain to those who have expressed an interest in receiving the material for research and educational purposes, in accordance with Title 17 USC §107.  |  Board Owner assumes no responsibility for the content of posts or for any actions resulting from posts made by anyone who chooses to use this public message board. The opinions expressed on this message board do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the message board owner or any visitors.  |  All posts and wording therein belong to the Original Author. Get permission from the Original Author before "lifting" their post for use elsewhere. It's the respectful (ie, native) way.  |  The original board was begun 8 October 2002. This board was created 28 October 2008.
    TN Commission of Indian Affairs
    Website of the (defunct) TCIA * History of the 1st & 2nd TNCIA

Greene (CNO) v. TCIA   filed 30 June 2010
    Commission terminated     30 June 2010

Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: Welfare check

Many are still w/o electricity up in that area after the big snow.
    Ron Ramsey stuck his fat face in local papers the morning decrying "dirty " Sen Nelson, selling out for a "special deal" for Nebraska.
    Short of words, I found it hard to comment about how he, of all people could call someone a sellout. I am sure that Tri-Cities.com and the Kingsport Times would appreciate someone commenting on the kettle calling the skillet black.

Seems to call for pinted letters to the editors! I think you should go for it.
    Donna

Re: OK Muchan

I replied on the Times website. Now you go add a comment.

Muchan Bigwitch
    Many are still w/o electricity up in that area after the big snow.
    Ron Ramsey stuck his fat face in local papers the morning decrying "dirty " Sen Nelson, selling out for a "special deal" for Nebraska.
    Short of words, I found it hard to comment about how he, of all people could call someone a sellout. I am sure that Tri-Cities.com and the Kingsport Times would appreciate someone commenting on the kettle calling the skillet black.

got a link??

found the link

lol just got an email from the TimesNews and found the link:

http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9019258

Ramsey: Nebraska deal should nix health care bill
    By Associated Press

Published December 22nd, 2009 | 6 Comments

NASHVILLE — Republican state Senate speaker and gubernatorial candidate Ron Ramsey wants the state attorney general to look into whether a deal struck in Congress on health care legislation could create an opening for Tennessee to opt out of the program.

Ramsey told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he considers concessions won by conservative Democratic U.S. Sen. Ben Nelson of Nebraska in return for his vote to be unconstitutional.

Among other things, Nelson won an agreement that the federal government will pay to expand Medicaid services in his state.

“There are lots of issues with the health care bill in general, but the way it was finally put together almost makes you sick to your stomach,” said Ramsey, of Blountville. “We want to find some way we can opt out of this legislation.”

Giving Nebraska a pass on the growing Medicaid costs for political reasons is a departure from basing states’ reimbursement rates on “objective criteria,” Ramsey said.

The House version of the health care legislation is estimated to cost Tennessee taxpayers up to $1.4 billion over a five-year period beginning in 2014. The Senate version is projected to cost about half that amount.

Ramsey said he planned to send state Attorney General Bob Cooper a letter on the issue later on Tuesday. He said he was unaware of a similar request Republican state Reps. Susan Lynn of Mt. Juliet and Debra Maggart of Hendersonville made a day earlier.

A Cooper spokeswoman did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Ramsey, who also carries the title of lieutenant governor, said he is making the request both in his current role and for his desired position as governor.

“Whether I’m lieutenant governor, or governor moving forward, we need to balance our budget,” he said. “This unfunded mandate is being pushed down on us.

“I want to be sure we’re not forced to cut education, cut roads and cut corrections in Tennessee.”

---------------------------------------
    Material appearing here is distributed without profit or monitory gain to those who have expressed an interest in receiving the material for research and educational purposes. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, any copyrighted work in this message is distributed under fair use without profit or payment for non-profit research and educational purposes only. [Ref. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml]
    --------------------------------------

well, as history has shown, they might be quiet but they aren't sitting on their hands.

Hello there! Good to hear from you. I was wondering how you and yours were handling the weather. But I suppose you have plenty of firewood to keep you warm if the eletricity was out.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

whatever night it was when we got snow, it was horrible in Kentucky (where there's still a LOT of power outages)! Lemme remember:

at 10am that morning, it was occasionally spitting sleet. nothing to get excited about.

by 11am, it was a slow steady rain

by 1pm, it was raining with snow mixed in

by 3pm, it was snowing

by 5pm, the snow was falling fast and furiously. People were calling in and some were leaving early. The snow was about 3 inches deep.

by 8pm, the snow was still falling. Most of the 2nd shift crew had 'abandoned ship' and many 3rd shift had called in.

one of my daughter-in-law's came in and stopped by to say hello so i asked her to call the husband and ask him to come get me. I'd driven the truck and didn't want to try and drive it home. It's light-weight and a 5-speed - easy to spin tires even on dry pavement; forget trying to drive on snow!

So he decides to come on over; mind you, we only live about 6 miles from where i work. The roads in TN were good, he said but after driving through the tunnel .... well, we were both stuck in Kentucky! The tunnel was closed due to numerous wrecks just before it on the KY side. LMAO So i kept working my scheduled shift hours since we were stuck in KY.

By 10pm, the tunnel had been re-opened. I called to ask how the roads were and was told they were okay; just drive carefully and maintain a constant speed. They were allowing only 2 or 3 vehicles through the tunnel at a time. By the time we got to the tunnel, there was no limiting vehicles but the roads in KY were horrible. Don't know what happened to the road crews in KY but they must have fallen asleep somewhere 'cause the roads were still covered rather well. Only where enough vehicles had driven on the roads were the roads passable; carving 'ruts' in the snow.

KY got about 4-6 inches but where we live, we got maybe 2 inches. The parking lot was HORRIBLE also. As we got ready to leave, a co-worker was trying to get her car started. Her husband had moved her car closer to the building but had left the lights on; killing the car battery. Well, since she was parked kitty-corner to my right and kitty-corner to my husband's left side, we got our jumper cables out and jumped her car. LOL We also scrapped her windows for her so she could see and didn't have to wait for the car's heater to melt the snow from the windshield(s).

I was SO glad to be home with a nice, warm woodstove waiting for me!!! :-) It was supposed to snow more so i was hoping i'd get snowed in and could legitimately call in. LOL Well, THAT didn't happen so i still have a perfect record of attendance after 11 months.

But this 'holiday' is making me crazy! I know most of it's the people who're shopping ... acting like starved pigs at a feeding trough when they shop. It's HORRIBLE but .. i keep in mind that soon, things will return to 'normal' and working won't be so difficult. I'm glad the 3rd shift workers have seen my work over the last 10 months and know i'm doing the best i can to keep up. They know what the holiday is like (having been there for years) and are very understanding - which I am MOST grateful for!!

Other than that, all is well up this way. I hope things are as good for you and everyone else. I miss being able to see and visit with folks - maybe soon things will improve where I'll get a chance again. :-)

Have a Happy Winter Season!

So a long day at work, but otherwise all is good. Sounds nice, I guess the snow won't stay around for Christmas, except maybe in Kentucky! lol Anyway, keep warm and stay safe. Thanks for the diary entry, it was fun.

TN & American Indian Related Links
  • Tennessee Legislature
  • Tennessee Executive Branch
  • Federal Government Links
  • Tennessee.gov
  • TN Attorney General
  • TnCIA official website

• Native American Indian Association of Tennessee (NAIA)
    Advisory Council on Tennessee Indian Affairs (ACTIA)
    Alliance for Native American Indian Rights (ANAIR)
    Tennessee Native American Convention (TNNAC)
    Tennessee Trail of Tears Association (TnTOTA)
    Tn Commission of Indian Affairs (Unofficial)
    Chattanooga InterTribal Association (CITA)
    InterTribal Sacred Land Trust (ITSLT)
    The Forum
    Tanasi Journal
    Native Nashville
    TN Indian Affairs Blog
    Chikamaka History Timeline
    Mundo Hispano/Hispanic World
    Tennessee Ancient Sites Conservancy
    Indian Burial & Sacred Grounds Watch

National Native News Links
    Indianz.com
    Indian Country News
    NativeBiz
    NARF
    Indian Country
    Wotanging Ikche/
    Native American News
    NAGPRA
    Pechanga.net
    Aboriginal/First Nations/Native
    News in Canada
    Mohawk Nation News - Daily News from the Mohawk Nation Native News
    Native American Times,
    the nation's largest
    independent Indian
    news source
    On The Wings
    of Eagles

NativeNews Online
    Native news,
    Views and Legends

Health Needs / Job Seeker Links
    Partnership for
    Prescription Assistance
    CMATS - TN Dept of Labor
    & Workforce Development
    Manpower Inc.
    Locate Your KELLY Office

One Feather Books Poison's Icons Badge

345058 Visitors to Original Board

Each individual post and its content are the sole responsibility of its Author.