Issues Affecting American Indians in Tennessee
This message board is provided as a public service for the specific purpose of sharing and discussing any and all issues that directly or indirectly pertain to Native American Indians living in Tennessee.
This board does not represent or speak for any organization.

American Indians in Tennessee government volunteer service
TN Archaeological Advisory Council
mandated 3 Native American representatives
  • Michael Lynch, West Tennessee (2008-12)
         member, Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma
  • Pat Cummins, Middle Tennessee (2004-08)
         descendant, Cherokee
  • Mark Cantrell, Middle Tennessee (2010-14)
         unknown tribal affiliation
  •   TN Historical Commission
    mandated inclusion of person/s
    of Native American ancestry

• Brent A. Cox (2008-2012)
    444 Cades Atwood Road
    Milan, Tennessee 38358
    731-723-9994

•   Official Disclaimer and Notice
    Board Owner reserves the right to edit or delete any post deemed inappropriate.   |   Material appearing here is distributed without profit or monetary gain to those who have expressed an interest in receiving the material for research and educational purposes, in accordance with Title 17 USC §107.  |  Board Owner assumes no responsibility for the content of posts or for any actions resulting from posts made by anyone who chooses to use this public message board. The opinions expressed on this message board do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the message board owner or any visitors.  |  All posts and wording therein belong to the Original Author. Get permission from the Original Author before "lifting" their post for use elsewhere. It's the respectful (ie, native) way.  |  The original board was begun 8 October 2002. This board was created 28 October 2008.
    TN Commission of Indian Affairs
    Website of the (defunct) TCIA * History of the 1st & 2nd TNCIA

Greene (CNO) v. TCIA   filed 30 June 2010
    Commission terminated     30 June 2010

Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: "Ya really think?" LMAO

no, I don't "really think": I "really know" tom didn't have anything to do with the creation of that Bill.

hmm .. maybe I misinterpreted what was said

Mr. Kuenish,
    Did you consult with Indians all over this State about this prior to submitting this? I don't think so. More shady back door tactics by you again!!
    Shame on you!!

Maybe tom's being blamed for sharing the Bill's information outside of the CONFed group?!

Re: Wesho--see what I was talking about? This is why states need an Indian commission

that has powers of recognition. Otherwise they find some doofus state rep or senator to write a bill for them--probably someone they've given an "honorary" memebership to. State governments know nothing about native or tribal structure and traditions. They'll pass anything because that's what they do--pass laws nobody wants or needs.

Re: Re: Wesho--see what I was talking about? This is why states need an Indian commission

And you think sone of the commissioners are not a part of this very thing?? What about the cencus fiasco? One appointed, commisioner wants their person in and runs to Nashville. Same dirty dealings. I personally do not want someone in OK telling me, a Native Tennessee Indian, how to handle my business. Who better to "watch over" our affairs in TN than Tennessee Indians, who meet certain criteria to claim their ancestory. The Tennessee Indians need honest,open and truthful representation. Building a relationship with other Indian governing bodies should be attainable. Tennessee Indians should not be in competition with the other bands, as they seem to insinuate. We deserve too!!!

Re: Re: Re: Wesho--see what I was talking about? This is why states need an Indian commission

Okay. Tennessee needs a commission with the needs and wants of Tennessee native people as their first priority. However, the commission has been hamstrung by not being allowed to recognize groups which was their main intent. So they have no real power now, isn't that what you folks wanted? So you can bamboozle a bunch of uninformed and hands-out politicians? Yes, the commission needs to be cleaned up, straightened up and empowered to actually do something--otherwise, the legislature will make clubs into "tribes." Great! Wonderful! That's getting no one anywhere.

ya had me agreeing and going until

Tennessee needs a commission with the needs and wants of Tennessee native people as their first priority. However, the commission has been hamstrung by not being allowed to recognize groups which was their main intent.

Gotta disagree with your comment about the commission's "main intent" being to recognize groups!

By Statute, the Commission's "Powers and Duties" are:

-------------------------

4-34-103. Powers and duties.

It is the duty of the commission to:

1. Study, consider, accumulate, compile, assemble and disseminate information on any aspect of Indian affairs;

2. Investigate relief needs of Indians of Tennessee and to provide technical assistance in the preparation of plans for the alleviation of such needs;

3. Confer with appropriate officials of local, state and federal governments and agencies of these governments, and with such congressional commissions that may be concerned with Indian affairs;

4. Encourage and implement coordination of applicable resources to meet the needs of Indians in Tennessee;

5. Study the existing status of recognition of all Indian groups, tribes and communities presently existing in Tennessee;

6. Establish appropriate procedures to provide for legal recognition by the state of presently unrecognized tribes, nations, groups, communities or individuals, and to provide for official state recognition by the commission of such;
    [This "duty" and/or "power" was accomplished but the legislature removed the Commission's "power" to enforce the Rules]

7. Cooperate with and secure the assistance of the local, state and federal governments or any agencies thereof in formulating any programs that the commission finds necessary or beneficial to Indians in Tennessee;
    [For all the folks fussing about the involvement of Nations/Tribes outside of TN yet those same folks claim to be descended from and even related to those Nations/Tribes - the commission is authorized to consult with those same Nations/Tribes - as they should when allegedly the groups, et-al here in TN claim some form of relationship/descendecy!]

8. Coordinate any programs regarding Indian affairs adopted or planned by the federal government to the end that the commission secure the full benefit of such programs;

9. Review and comment on all proposed or pending state legislation and amendments to existing state legislation directly affecting Indians in Tennessee; and
    [Such as the current Bill being petitioned by the CONFed group for recognition]

10. Conduct public hearings on matters relating to Indian affairs and to subpoena any information or documents deemed necessary by the commission.

[Acts 2003, ch. 344, § 4.]

Re: ya had me agreeing and going until

Hmmm, I could have sworn one of the commissioners who posts here said that very thing. I could be wrong. But the commission does very much need to be there to serve the native community--the legislature can't and won't do it. The legislature does not care about the native community--it's not even on their radar. But, there needs to be a better way to choose commission members--a way that would keep it from being loaded with people from the cheesy groups and those out for what they can get for themselves. I also think the commission should be paid for their time and travel. A lot of good, Indian people can't afford to run for a post which you have to pay your own way all around the state. There has to be a better way

ah - gotcha

Yes, one or more commissioners - at one point or another - have said the 'duty' to recognize IS but ONE mandate. It's why so much time and energy was devoted to crafting a good piece of legislation for recognizing 'tribes' - only to be bullied by the State into withdrawing the recognition criteria in order for the commission to survive another year! Recognition, however, is not THE sole mandate as many would prefer to believe.

YES, the commission DOES need to continue as an agency of the State to help GUIDE the legislators. No doubt about that! I am also of the same opinion that "The legislature does not care about the native community--it's not even on their radar" except when some "cheesy" group petitions the legislators with some self-serving agenda that's NOT about culture, traditions or anything related as much as it's all about MONEY; making a buck, which could be done at ANY time without having to claim to be something they're not. When I see that, it's infuriating!!

And yes, it would be most helpful if commissioners were paid a small amount - at least - for their travel. Especially when traveling takes so much time and does end up costing quite a bit. I don't know how many of them have been able to do it while they were on the commission and gas prices were through the roof!

Ok, so now I better understand what you were saying. LOL

STAY WARM - it's FREEZING outside this morning!

Re: sometimes...

My fingers don't keep up with what I'm really thinking and it don't come out as gooder as I thought it sounded. Make sense? I dunno. Anyways, looks like we need to start writing more letters to let those legislators know we don't need any clubs "recognized" as tribes--which is what all of those groups in that legislation really are.

"BANDS" ?

Whoa!

That so called "BAND" out of Oklahoma is a "NATION" and don't forget it. When your little social clubs come up with a signed treaty between your social club and the United States only then can you run with the big boys!

Re: "BANDS" ?

Actually, CNO was called the Western Band before they changed their name to Cherokee Nation and EBCI --what does that stand for again? And what, exactly does UKB stand for? It's not a slur, it's the way the Cherokee people have long referred to the three entities.

Just so you know, I think all tribes should refer to themselves as nations, but most haven't changed their official names yet. I think the government might treat the nations with more respect if they insisted on being called "nations." But that's my opinion.

Re: Re: "BANDS" ?

Donna,

You can argue all day but the fact remains they were giving names by the federal government to identify seperated groups of ONE Nation.

No wannabe 501c3 or other has any right to equalize themselves to any NATION. It only brings to light the garbage these individuals believe by their so called "leaders", "historians" or any other label they give themselves.

I wish BIA would hurry up and eliminate these people but then again thats probably why they are going to state cuz they know they won't get federal. Just like that one group there in Tennessee trying for state recognition, years ago it already had been determined by BIA they are nothing more than a social club of non indians.

Period!

TN & American Indian Related Links
  • Tennessee Legislature
  • Tennessee Executive Branch
  • Federal Government Links
  • Tennessee.gov
  • TN Attorney General
  • TnCIA official website

• Native American Indian Association of Tennessee (NAIA)
    Advisory Council on Tennessee Indian Affairs (ACTIA)
    Alliance for Native American Indian Rights (ANAIR)
    Tennessee Native American Convention (TNNAC)
    Tennessee Trail of Tears Association (TnTOTA)
    Tn Commission of Indian Affairs (Unofficial)
    Chattanooga InterTribal Association (CITA)
    InterTribal Sacred Land Trust (ITSLT)
    The Forum
    Tanasi Journal
    Native Nashville
    TN Indian Affairs Blog
    Chikamaka History Timeline
    Mundo Hispano/Hispanic World
    Tennessee Ancient Sites Conservancy
    Indian Burial & Sacred Grounds Watch

National Native News Links
    Indianz.com
    Indian Country News
    NativeBiz
    NARF
    Indian Country
    Wotanging Ikche/
    Native American News
    NAGPRA
    Pechanga.net
    Aboriginal/First Nations/Native
    News in Canada
    Mohawk Nation News - Daily News from the Mohawk Nation Native News
    Native American Times,
    the nation's largest
    independent Indian
    news source
    On The Wings
    of Eagles

NativeNews Online
    Native news,
    Views and Legends

Health Needs / Job Seeker Links
    Partnership for
    Prescription Assistance
    CMATS - TN Dept of Labor
    & Workforce Development
    Manpower Inc.
    Locate Your KELLY Office

One Feather Books Poison's Icons Badge

345058 Visitors to Original Board

Each individual post and its content are the sole responsibility of its Author.