Issues Affecting American Indians in Tennessee
This message board is provided as a public service for the specific purpose of sharing and discussing any and all issues that directly or indirectly pertain to Native American Indians living in Tennessee.
This board does not represent or speak for any organization.

American Indians in Tennessee government volunteer service
TN Archaeological Advisory Council
mandated 3 Native American representatives
  • Michael Lynch, West Tennessee (2008-12)
         member, Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma
  • Pat Cummins, Middle Tennessee (2004-08)
         descendant, Cherokee
  • Mark Cantrell, Middle Tennessee (2010-14)
         unknown tribal affiliation
  •   TN Historical Commission
    mandated inclusion of person/s
    of Native American ancestry

• Brent A. Cox (2008-2012)
    444 Cades Atwood Road
    Milan, Tennessee 38358
    731-723-9994

•   Official Disclaimer and Notice
    Board Owner reserves the right to edit or delete any post deemed inappropriate.   |   Material appearing here is distributed without profit or monetary gain to those who have expressed an interest in receiving the material for research and educational purposes, in accordance with Title 17 USC §107.  |  Board Owner assumes no responsibility for the content of posts or for any actions resulting from posts made by anyone who chooses to use this public message board. The opinions expressed on this message board do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the message board owner or any visitors.  |  All posts and wording therein belong to the Original Author. Get permission from the Original Author before "lifting" their post for use elsewhere. It's the respectful (ie, native) way.  |  The original board was begun 8 October 2002. This board was created 28 October 2008.
    TN Commission of Indian Affairs
    Website of the (defunct) TCIA * History of the 1st & 2nd TNCIA

Greene (CNO) v. TCIA   filed 30 June 2010
    Commission terminated     30 June 2010

Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    Sheriff warns of national phone scam hitting Tennessee

Something similar happened to me some months ago except it wasn't done late in the evening or at night but the same information was given and requested. The call came while I was out, so I returned the call. It went to a recorded message where I was prompted to type in my credit card number. Of course I didn't and hit "0" for an operator - which most legit companies have that feature. This company's "0" feature didn't work so the recorded message kept being repeated. There was NO way to contact anyone for more information and I wasn't about to give out any of MY info to something I couldn't identify. THAT's when it dawned on me that it was a phone-phishing scam.

I called the phone company to file a complaint and I filed a complaint online - with the FCC (Federal Communications Commission), I believe it was (I really don't remember now). Since then I've seen the same scam being mentioned a few times but nothing like what's mentioned in the article.
    It IS real and it IS happening! NEVER give out ANY banking or personal information over the phone unless YOU are the one calling YOUR bank, credit card company, etc.!!!
    Tell your family, friends and neighbors to BE AWARE and BE CAREFUL!!
    Donna

http://www.lebanondemocrat.com/news.php?viewStory=5173

Sheriff warns of national phone scam hitting Tennessee
    By: By HILARY TRENDA

Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 12:39 am

January 28, 2009 - While authorities don't know how many people were called, they're stating this one of the most serious phone scams they've ever seen.

Wilson County Sheriff Terry Ashe said residents of Tennessee and Missouri
    are the most recent recipients of a nationwide phone-phishing scam.

The robocalls, often at late hours of the night, say the security of either the recipient's bank account or credit card has been compromised and to type in their account number.

"This is a real scam, a serious one. One of the surprising things is, they got a call right before midnight. That was an amazing thing in that it woke [them] up out of a sleep and said 'This has just happened to you',"Ashe said

"If you're scamming, that might cause somebody to give you their number out of the urgency of the time of the morning. Again, it's just part of their methodology, to put you in that crisis mode when you can't get ahold of your
    bank.

"They contact you at hours when your banker isn't available, when they know your bank is closed."

Ashe and local bank president Randall Clemmons, of Wilson Bank and Trust, said banks will never call asking for your information.

"Do not give any vital information out over the telephone. Banks do not solicit that over the telephone. Do not give it to anybody," Ashe said.

Clemmons noted that if someone calls the bank themselves, their information may be asked for to verify their identity as the account holder.

"This is the most wide-spread scam we have seen ... [We] encourage people to never give out banking information over the phone," he said.

"Remember, your bank will never call asking for this information when they
    already have it."

The sheriff also asked that citizens call and let relatives know the scam is going on to prevent further victims.

Ashe said if anyone has given up their account information, to cancel that
    card immediately.

"The federal government has gotten involved in it. If you have given your number to anybody, you need to contact your credit card or bank right now, and let them know you've given out either private PIN numbers or vital information," he said.

"You don't want to wake up one day and realize you don't have any money in your bank account. That's a real possibility.

"If you have [given information], you need to have your credit card canceled
    and a new card issued.

"It's that good of a scam. They pulled it off pretty quick, in a couple weeks, and the federal government is looking into it."

Staff Writer Hilary Trenda may be reached at 444-3952 ext. 45 or by e-mail at hilary.trenda@lebanondemocrat.com.

TN & American Indian Related Links
  • Tennessee Legislature
  • Tennessee Executive Branch
  • Federal Government Links
  • Tennessee.gov
  • TN Attorney General
  • TnCIA official website

• Native American Indian Association of Tennessee (NAIA)
    Advisory Council on Tennessee Indian Affairs (ACTIA)
    Alliance for Native American Indian Rights (ANAIR)
    Tennessee Native American Convention (TNNAC)
    Tennessee Trail of Tears Association (TnTOTA)
    Tn Commission of Indian Affairs (Unofficial)
    Chattanooga InterTribal Association (CITA)
    InterTribal Sacred Land Trust (ITSLT)
    The Forum
    Tanasi Journal
    Native Nashville
    TN Indian Affairs Blog
    Chikamaka History Timeline
    Mundo Hispano/Hispanic World
    Tennessee Ancient Sites Conservancy
    Indian Burial & Sacred Grounds Watch

National Native News Links
    Indianz.com
    Indian Country News
    NativeBiz
    NARF
    Indian Country
    Wotanging Ikche/
    Native American News
    NAGPRA
    Pechanga.net
    Aboriginal/First Nations/Native
    News in Canada
    Mohawk Nation News - Daily News from the Mohawk Nation Native News
    Native American Times,
    the nation's largest
    independent Indian
    news source
    On The Wings
    of Eagles

NativeNews Online
    Native news,
    Views and Legends

Health Needs / Job Seeker Links
    Partnership for
    Prescription Assistance
    CMATS - TN Dept of Labor
    & Workforce Development
    Manpower Inc.
    Locate Your KELLY Office

One Feather Books Poison's Icons Badge

345058 Visitors to Original Board

Each individual post and its content are the sole responsibility of its Author.