Issues Affecting American Indians in Tennessee
This message board is provided as a public service for the specific purpose of sharing and discussing any and all issues that directly or indirectly pertain to Native American Indians living in Tennessee.
This board does not represent or speak for any organization.

American Indians in Tennessee government volunteer service
TN Archaeological Advisory Council
mandated 3 Native American representatives
  • Michael Lynch, West Tennessee (2008-12)
         member, Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma
  • Pat Cummins, Middle Tennessee (2004-08)
         descendant, Cherokee
  • Mark Cantrell, Middle Tennessee (2010-14)
         unknown tribal affiliation
  •   TN Historical Commission
    mandated inclusion of person/s
    of Native American ancestry

• Brent A. Cox (2008-2012)
    444 Cades Atwood Road
    Milan, Tennessee 38358
    731-723-9994

•   Official Disclaimer and Notice
    Board Owner reserves the right to edit or delete any post deemed inappropriate.   |   Material appearing here is distributed without profit or monetary gain to those who have expressed an interest in receiving the material for research and educational purposes, in accordance with Title 17 USC §107.  |  Board Owner assumes no responsibility for the content of posts or for any actions resulting from posts made by anyone who chooses to use this public message board. The opinions expressed on this message board do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the message board owner or any visitors.  |  All posts and wording therein belong to the Original Author. Get permission from the Original Author before "lifting" their post for use elsewhere. It's the respectful (ie, native) way.  |  The original board was begun 8 October 2002. This board was created 28 October 2008.
    TN Commission of Indian Affairs
    Website of the (defunct) TCIA * History of the 1st & 2nd TNCIA

Greene (CNO) v. TCIA   filed 30 June 2010
    Commission terminated     30 June 2010

Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    John Cusack on what's wrong with the economy--Yes! It's pretty good!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-cusack/no-currency-left-to-buy-t_b_140250.html

Who knew he was so astute economically?

If ya scroll to the bottom there's a link for Obama merchandise. You can get a "Mama voted for Obama" t-shirt.

Wow!! Great understanding and comparisons

and ultimately, gets it right about "sharing the wealth". LMAO Besides jumping my son for not voting, my youngest and his girlfriend came over last night for some help. In the process of all that, they got me started on more (of the same) lies being told about Obama and where this country's headed.

I told them that "sharing the wealth" was never meant as in, "Here, take my whole paycheck. Don't go pay your bill, just enjoy."

I told the kids that "sharing the wealth" was meant more like having money to help those who're at least trying to help themselves - like they are. They're working when they can and paying their bills with the few dollars they make ... and on occasion, they need a little extra help. Which is why they came over to visit. lol I told them that "sharing the wealth" is more about helping those in need (elderly, handicapped, children, etc.) than simply handing out money to lazy-a$$ed folks (druggies, welfare abusers, etc.) so they can continue sitting on their butts, doing nothing and getting paid for it <-- as the repugs would have their Sheeple believe.

Helping the elderly, the children, the handicapped- those who either cannot fend for themselves or need more help than most in fending for themselves <<---- THAT is the way it should be; those who can, pitch in and help those who cannot.

Anyway ... they brought up another topic and I'd go off. LMAO

THEN, a neighbor came over to borrow a cat carrier for her kittens! That was okay BUT, she was telling us about text messages she'd been getting about Obama since his 'victory' speech!!! OMG!! My neighbor tells me that the (group name NOT mentioned to keep Google from referencing) is already hot-n-heavy in plotting to KILL Obama on Inauguration Day. I told her that it's probably figured already by those whose job it is to protect Obama ... and they're prolly already watching closely.

It had occured to me yesterday as I sat outside, that I could feel the stunned silence from those who absolutely couldn't abide the thought of Obama being President. I thought about the work ahead of all of us in continuing the IDEALS that Obama presented in his candidacy - while trying to get this country back on track, trying to return to something we once knew as values, morals, compasion, etc., that for as hard as many of us would be working to that end, there would be others who would be working just as hard to make sure that IDEAL failed. NOT because the IDEAL isn't valuable or worthy ... but simply because Obama is in the White House and those folks cannot abide the thought of not having a white man leading the country.

THAT IS A SAD AND HORRIFYING CONCEPT!!!! No "Country First"; it's racism ahead of survival! In talking with the neighbor, the same thoughts came back and it was then that I realized how incredibly difficult things are really going to be because of so many people's deliberate sabotage. They'd rather chisel their nose off their face than pitch in and help make this country strong again.

What was it Obama said in his speech?

Tonight we proved once more that the true strength of our nation comes not from the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals: democracy, liberty, opportunity and unyielding hope.

Our campaign was not hatched in the halls of Washington. It began in the backyards of Des Moines and the living rooms of Concord and the front porches of Charleston. It was built by working men and women who dug into what little savings they had to give $5 and $10 and $20 to the cause.

It grew strength from the young people who rejected the myth of their generation's apathy who left their homes and their families for jobs that offered little pay and less sleep.

It drew strength from the not-so-young people who braved the bitter cold and scorching heat to knock on doors of perfect strangers, and from the millions of Americans who volunteered and organized and proved that more than two centuries later a government of the people, by the people, and for the people has not perished from the Earth.

----

And I know you didn't do this just to win an election. And I know you didn't do it for me.

You did it because you understand the enormity of the task that lies ahead. For even as we celebrate tonight, we know the challenges that tomorrow will bring are the greatest of our lifetime -- two wars, a planet in peril, the worst financial crisis in a century.

Even as we stand here tonight, we know there are brave Americans waking up in the deserts of Iraq and the mountains of Afghanistan to risk their lives for us.

There are mothers and fathers who will lie awake after the children fall asleep and wonder how they'll make the mortgage or pay their doctors' bills or save enough for their child's college education.

There's new energy to harness, new jobs to be created, new schools to build, and threats to meet, alliances to repair.

The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even in one term. But, America, I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there.

I promise you, we as a people will get there.

There will be setbacks and false starts. There are many who won't agree with every decision or policy I make as president. And we know the government can't solve every problem.

But I will always be honest with you about the challenges we face. I will listen to you, especially when we disagree. And, above all, I will ask you to join in the work of remaking this nation, the only way it's been done in America for 221 years -- block by block, brick by brick, calloused hand by calloused hand.

----

This victory alone is not the change we seek. It is only the chance for us to make that change. And that cannot happen if we go back to the way things were.

It can't happen without you, without a new spirit of service, a new spirit of sacrifice.

So let us summon a new spirit of patriotism, of responsibility, where each of us resolves to pitch in and work harder and look after not only ourselves but each other.

Let us remember that, if this financial crisis taught us anything, it's that we cannot have a thriving Wall Street while Main Street suffers.

In this country, we rise or fall as one nation, as one people. Let's resist the temptation to fall back on the same partisanship and pettiness and immaturity that has poisoned our politics for so long.

Let's remember that it was a man from this state who first carried the banner of the Republican Party to the White House, a party founded on the values of self-reliance and individual liberty and national unity.

Those are values that we all share.

As Lincoln said to a nation far more divided than ours, we are not enemies but friends. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.

And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn, I may not have won your vote tonight, but I hear your voices. I need your help. And I will be your president, too.

And to all those watching tonight from beyond our shores, from parliaments and palaces, to those who are huddled around radios in the forgotten corners of the world, our stories are singular, but our destiny is shared, and a new dawn of American leadership is at hand.

To those -- to those who would tear the world down: We will defeat you. To those who seek peace and security: We support you.

it's not who's in the White House, exactly, it's more of the IDEALS promoted. We've had enough of the ME, ME, ME and ONLY ME FIRST policy that was heavily promoted by BushCO and we've seen the destruction it's caused.

It's time for a NEW DIRECTION and the OLD IDEALS that've served us better in the past. NO, it wasn't perfect before and it really never will BUT, so much can be so better for so MANY ...... all it takes it a bit of work from those who've become apathetic and dis-illisioned, at least in the last 8 years.

Okay, rant is done. Got work to do!
    Make sure to get outside and enjoy this beautiful day!!!

Obama's already meeting with "financial experts" on the economy

Way to go! Maybe they'll have some sort of plan together by the time he takes office.

TN & American Indian Related Links
  • Tennessee Legislature
  • Tennessee Executive Branch
  • Federal Government Links
  • Tennessee.gov
  • TN Attorney General
  • TnCIA official website

• Native American Indian Association of Tennessee (NAIA)
    Advisory Council on Tennessee Indian Affairs (ACTIA)
    Alliance for Native American Indian Rights (ANAIR)
    Tennessee Native American Convention (TNNAC)
    Tennessee Trail of Tears Association (TnTOTA)
    Tn Commission of Indian Affairs (Unofficial)
    Chattanooga InterTribal Association (CITA)
    InterTribal Sacred Land Trust (ITSLT)
    The Forum
    Tanasi Journal
    Native Nashville
    TN Indian Affairs Blog
    Chikamaka History Timeline
    Mundo Hispano/Hispanic World
    Tennessee Ancient Sites Conservancy
    Indian Burial & Sacred Grounds Watch

National Native News Links
    Indianz.com
    Indian Country News
    NativeBiz
    NARF
    Indian Country
    Wotanging Ikche/
    Native American News
    NAGPRA
    Pechanga.net
    Aboriginal/First Nations/Native
    News in Canada
    Mohawk Nation News - Daily News from the Mohawk Nation Native News
    Native American Times,
    the nation's largest
    independent Indian
    news source
    On The Wings
    of Eagles

NativeNews Online
    Native news,
    Views and Legends

Health Needs / Job Seeker Links
    Partnership for
    Prescription Assistance
    CMATS - TN Dept of Labor
    & Workforce Development
    Manpower Inc.
    Locate Your KELLY Office

One Feather Books Poison's Icons Badge

345058 Visitors to Original Board

Each individual post and its content are the sole responsibility of its Author.