St. Anthony's Seminary Alumni Forum

Welcome All SAS Alumni...        If you remember St. Francis Day, Christ the King Day, Cornbread, Friday Night Pies, the Main Jakes, Rec Rooms, the Beach, Oak Park, Dishshift, Chapel, Study Hall-Gym, the "Barn," Track Day, Classes on Saturday, Fruit Flies, Soccer, the Spartans, etc., then this is the place to leave a comment!  Thanks!

St. Anthony's Seminary Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"SAS Stories"

I have been e-mailing back and forth with a guy from the class of 1970,
Jesse Sandoval, who happens to be the grandson of Mrs. Mendoza (RIP), who was the
long-time-employed seamstress for us fellows who attended SAS. For years she ironed our shirts, sewed on our buttons, etc to help keep us, as teenage boys, looking at least halfway decent! (:
But I wanted to share with you all an interesting / funny story about Mrs Mendoza.
This was told to the group that was at the 2004 reunion, I believe.
The storyteller was in the class of 1962 and, at the time, the “in-thing” to have was a
plaid shirt called a Pendleton. He was pretty well-to-do, and, as most of you know all social levels were represented at SAS.
Well anyway, I guess Mrs. Mendoza saw those oval patches on the elbows and felt sorry that "the poor kid had to go around with patches on his sleeves," so she
CUT OFF the sleeves just above the elbow patches, and sewed a nice hem to make it short sleeved, and put it in his laundry locker!
He said that he was mad at her for the rest of the year!! ha
I wonder how many "seminary stories" are out there waiting to be told!
If you have a good one, please post it.

Steve ‘67

Re: "SAS Stories"

Guys:

In a recent post, I mentioned remembering an upper classman from my SAS days and he, in his response, regretted that he had no specific memory of me. That didn’t surprise me at all (I was a quiet, studious, prayerful lad ;-) and among the least coordinated kids of my age), but it did revive something I’d noticed before: All of us can remember more names and faces from the classes ahead of us than we can from the classes that followed us.

When I first thought about it, I wondered if this was an indication of some underlying snobbery (the younger guys were so inferior, they didn't register as significant), but I finally decided that wasn't the case at all. It's just that the older guys were closer to us and played a more important part in our lives, though not generally on an individual basis. Upper classmen were our table prefects, dorm prefects, waiters, athletic heroes and team captains. When we were first classmen (freshmen), the fourth classmen (seniors), with very few exceptions, were almost like big brothers -- indifferent, perhaps, but hardly ever really unkind. Sure, there was the hazing of the ghost walk at Halloween, but no one that I know of was very traumatized by that. I can still remember the names and faces of many of them.

On the other hand, our interactions with our juniors were much more limited. It wasn't so much that we considered them inferior; they just weren't *there* as much as the older guys were. The folks that I *do* recall who were younger than I were extraordinary in some way or other. The ones I seem to remember were those who were quick with a wisecrack or a joke (Hi, Vern!), or who had some physical or behavioral attribute that made them memorable. I'm sure there were lots of fantastic people among that group, but I never really had the opportunity to know many of them.

Now that we're all grown up (and then some!), it's been great to be able to reconnect through this site with both older and younger guys as adults. Paz y bien a todos!
. . . jim strain '62

Another story: Seniors were allowed to smoke in the rec room only or when hiking.
Underclassmen had to sneak down to the grotto for a couple of hits and hope
Severin wasn't out for his canyon walk. We used to stash cigarettes in the
stone wall. There wass a loose stone on the wall below the chapel.
When you removed it, there was enough of a cavity to stash a couple of packs of
cigarettes. We usually smoked Luckies or Camels, some Pall Mall.
Filtered cigarettes were just coming into existence, but were too wimpy for
us.

George N, '58

Some time ago I began a correspondence with Fr. Peter, who is residing at Mercy Center in Oakland. I told him an abbrevieated story of my life, focusing on my dismissal from SAS after I flunkd Latin II, then went on to marry and have 8 kids and become a foreign language teacher! He sent back a wonderful letter, very witty and sharp for a guy in his late 80's. He told me that he struggled himself with Latin, barely passing, sitting in the same place that I did at St Anthony's. He told me he was astonished when his first assignment after ordination was to teach Latin at SAS!

Great stuff!
A good read!

see more SAS stories at the archive site at www.sasarchive.org and click on "Stories."