30 Squadron (RAF) Association

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ron Flack - 30 sqdn?

Hi Danielle,

I have looked through the Sqn Operational Record Book and can find no mention of your Grandad although that does not mean he was not on the Sqn.

The award of the Burma Star and the fact you have a photo of a Sqn Thunderbolt puts him in that area in late 1944 through 1945.

Would your Mum know for certain whether he was in the RAF? What other information can you provide as it will be very difficult to track down anything with the information provided thus far unfortunately.

Regards,
Simon

Hi Simon

Thank you for your response. He was definitely in the RAF, the problem I'm having is clearly the Sqn he was in!

All else I can tell you is that he settled in Ipswich, Suffolk, and went on to get married and have 3 children in the 50's.

Is there any way I could maybe acquire some kind of list of serving RAF members in Burma? It's the only place I know for definite he was, although there's every chance he could have also been elsewhere in the world.

Many thanks
Danielle

Hi Danielle,

Ok, if he was definitely in the RAF your best bet will be to apply for his service record. See this link http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/raf.html for how to apply.

His record will give you all his postings, promotions, Squadrons he served with etc. You will need to supply as much information as possible because you do not have his service number but I am sure they will find his record. I believe the service costs around £30 and takes several weeks.

Once you receive his record of service you may need some help deciphering the acronyms so just post on here and I will see what I can do.

Best of luck.
Simon