Return to Website

(South) Bourne School Discussion Group

This message board has now closed and former pupils should go to the school facebook page linked from Ruislip Online.

In due course this messageboard will be lapsed.

(South) Bourne School Discussion Group
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Re: The old wartime Bourne

Hi: I was at Bourne School at Ruislip Gardens during the war.

Mr.Tibbles was the math master and his wife taught English.

My class was 4A upper in the tower. Mr Walker once gave me the cane was a washroom incident. I played left half at soccer for the school team. I enjoyed the school very much and often wondered about all the students I knew.

regards. I well remember the air raid lessons in the shelters.

Ron Batten

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Are there any ex pupils of the wartime Bourne when it was

at Ruislip Gardens that remember me. Headmaster at the time

was Mr.Walker.Other teachers.Mr.Tibbles.Miss Milburn.

Do they remember the lessons in the air raid shelters?

Re: Re: The old wartime Bourne

Good to hear from Ron Batten. Any others out there from

the Old Bourne 1940-45.

Replying to:

My class was 4A upper in the tower. Mr Walker once gave me the cane was a washroom incident. I played left half at soccer for the school team. I enjoyed the school very much and often wondered about all the students I knew.

Ron Batten

Replying to:

Re: Re: The old wartime Bourne

I remember when Bourne first opened. Mr Tibbles also was the Music teacher. Mr Fenton I believe was sience, there was a Mr Griggs, most of the teachers had been in the service.I also remember getting the cane a couple of times, and once it disjointed a finger. Derek Larkin

Replying to:

Ron Batten

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: The old wartime Bourne

Hi Derek: I was in class 4a upper and your name sounds familiar. Griggs taught us soccer and cricket and I once went with him and a couple of others to the Royal Albert Hall to see a boxing competition. Tibbles was the home class teacher and I forget what Milburn taught. I enjoyed the wartime years and on reflection thought all the teachers did a fine job. I hope life has treated you kindly.Regards. Ron Batten.(RonWB@AOL.com)

Replying to:

I remember when Bourne first opened. Mr Tibbles also was the Music teacher. Mr Fenton I believe was sience, there was a Mr Griggs, most of the teachers had been in the service.I also remember getting the cane a couple of times, and once it disjointed a finger. Derek Larkin

Replying to:

Ron Batten

Replying to:

i remember Tibbles withhis tuning-fork Mr fenton i remember as fenwick? i sold him my appendics for ten bob. Griggsie was a pretty neat bloke supported ipswich town. I went to queensmead when it opened. Derek are you NOBBY (brian) LARKINS little brother and was your mum Ruby she was my mums (jean smith) best friend. your bent finger rang a bell!

Replying to:

Replying to:

Ron Batten

Replying to:

Are you Ken Larkins brother who lived in California and worked for Gallo. He died in 2000 I think. We would e-mail on occasions. I remember Mr. Griggs, he was my teacher, also Mr. Fenton. Mrs McNally taught sewing and Mrs Golka was Domestic Science. I completed school in 1949. Friends were Pat Charlott, Audrey Josefif, Olga Waterman, Beryl Mumford and Rita Panter. I am sill in touch with the first 3. Rita Panter died about 6 years ago. Josie

Re: Re: Re: Re: The old wartime Bourne

Hi Josephine,
I was very interested in your message concerning the Bourne.It is very doubful we could have met as I left in 1945.The teachers names I remember very well apart from Mrs Golka.Were Mr & Mrs Tibbles still there in your time. Have had very little luck with my search for others from my period.
Regards,
Nick