Return to Website

The Harp Family Forum

We welcome your comments about our page and also any information you wish to share with us or questions you may have. Thanks for coming!

The Harp Family Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Harps

I ran across your website on a google search. It brought up your Documents page which talked about Alvarine Harp, which I believe is my Great Great Great
Grandfather.

I knew my Grandfather was Marvin Wickliffe Harp b: 1904 Ballard Co, KY
I had a hunch Samuel M Harp, b: 24 Sep 1865 was my Great Grandfather.

I gave up after not finding anything on rootsweb about Marvin Wickliffe that would lead to his father. Several months later, which was just the other day....I went to a local library and used their internet to get on AncestryPlus.com.

There I found the Census documents that confirmed that Samuel was my Great Grandfather and it linked him to his father (my Great Great GF) being James Harp, b: 1834 in TN who had a spouse, unknown last name, first name Sarah R.

From there the Census records lead me to Alvarine Harp (G,G,G, Grandfather) b: Abt 1807, Overton County, TN, Date of Death Unknown, Married to Nancy (unknown maiden name) b: Abt 1805 in TN. I Think Nancy's last name was Thornton because the 1850 Census, 7th District, Overton Cnty, TN indicates that Alvarine was 43 years old and his trade GET THIS..."slaymaker", Lived next door to a Thornton Harp who was 20 years younger, possibly a younger brother related somehow to Alvarine and or Nancy. Thornton Harp also had a son which he named Alvarine.

The 1850 Census, 7th District, Overton County Tennessee, 4 Sept 1850, shows Alvarine Harp as head of household and has 8 Children, one of which is Calvin, b:1836 in TN, another one is a William, b: 1836 and James b: 1834 (which is my Great Great Grandfather)

I believe that my Great Great Grandfather James Harp b: 1834 is brother of Calvin Harp (your Great Grandfather).

We might be related.

Now I've found your forum and this post, so now I'm certain that Wayne and I are distant cousins.

If you email me, I'll send you a word document of what I've come up with on my Genealogy so far back to 1600 England.

p.s. Don't let the name fool you, I'm male.