Return to Website

The Harp Family Forum

We welcome your comments about our page and also any information you wish to share with us or questions you may have. Thanks for coming!

The Harp Family Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Re: Harps

Hi Ellie,

How strange. I just today found in the 1850 Overton, Tenn census, an Alvarine M. Harp, Slay maker. His wife Nancy, and children, Rachael, Daniel, James, William & Calvin, same age, Ann, Nancy, George, Tennessee. Also Elizabeth Harp, daughter of William and Charlotte had a son Wyett. He married a Harp, one of the daughter of a William Harp and Susannah Harp. Susannah

was Elizabeth Harp (my grgrgrandmother) sister. I am also corresponding and sharing info with a decendent of Thomas Jefferson, one of my grgrgrandmothers brothers. Nice to hear from someone that doesn't have the lines all mixed up. Julie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi Julie,

According to the Earp Gedcom file your William Harp is a nephew of my husband's William Harp. Thomas Marion Harp Sr. was father to William Harp who married Sarah (Sally) Stanton (my husband is connected through their son Alverine/Almarine). Thomas was also father to Sampson Harp Sr. whose son William Harp married Charlotte Harrison. So it looks like we connect at Thomas Marion Harp Sr. We have talked to a lot of people descended from this line. Good luck with your searching and let us know if there is anything we can help you out on.

Ellie Harp

Replying to:

Hi,

My great great great grandmother Charlotte Harrison married a William Harp in Granville North Carolina. They had at least 12 children one of which was my great great grandmother, Elizabeth Harp. The others were Winnie Reddin, Mary, Sarah, Wyett, Jan, Thomas Jefferson, Susannah, Martha,a Baby unnamed, Salina, and James Maddison. Elizabeth was born in Overton Co. Tennessee. She married William Franklin Davis. They had nine children, one of which was my great grandmother Emaline. Emaline was a twin. I have quite a bit of info that I have gathered mostly from the internet and am really on a search for beginnings. I am presently corresponding with a decendent of Thomas Jefferson Harp. Would love to find more family from direct lines. Thanks Julie

Re: Re: Re: Harps

Hi Julie,

That 1850 Census you mentioned was the first information we found that led us to believe Alverine/Almarine was my husband's great great great grandfather. I wish I could remember who shared that information with us but it's been so long ago I can't remember. The reason I mention Alverine as Almarine is because the only census he showed up as Alverine in was the 1850 Census. We have found him in 1830, 1840, 1860, 1870, and 1880 listed as a form of Almarine yet I still find myself thinking of him as Alverine. I guess because we did for so long.

His son William's (my husband's great great grandfather) death certificate lists his father as Almareen. All the other information that goes any farther back than that is what we have found in the Descendants of John Earp GEDCOM file which goes back to the late 1500's. Have you seen that? It lists a Cheryl Harpe Smith as contributor of a lot of the information on my husband's line but I have been unable to make contact with her. I would love to know where she found all the information. My husband and I pretty much hit a brick wall at Almarine. Just wish we could get copies of some of the documents I imagine the researcher has.

On another note-- I just sat down and figured it out. You and my husband are 6th cousins! I think that you are probably the most distant relative we have found so far. It's mind boggling when you think just how many people there are out there that can trace their roots back to the same line that we share. I believe it was in July, up in Northern Arkansas there was a Harp Reunion and I believe that many of the Harp's in that area are connected to William and Charlotte. We heard about it too late to go this year but we are hoping we can make it next year. Well, I didnt mean to go on and on like this.

Hope to hear from you again soon,

Ellie

Replying to:

Hi Ellie,

How strange. I just today found in the 1850 Overton, Tenn census, an Alvarine M. Harp, Slay maker. His wife Nancy, and children, Rachael, Daniel, James, William & Calvin, same age, Ann, Nancy, George, Tennessee. Also Elizabeth Harp, daughter of William and Charlotte had a son Wyett. He married a Harp, one of the daughter of a William Harp and Susannah Harp. Susannah

was Elizabeth Harp (my grgrgrandmother) sister. I am also corresponding and sharing info with a decendent of Thomas Jefferson, one of my grgrgrandmothers brothers. Nice to hear from someone that doesn't have the lines all mixed up. Julie

Replying to:

Hi Julie,

According to the Earp Gedcom file your William Harp is a nephew of my husband's William Harp. Thomas Marion Harp Sr. was father to William Harp who married Sarah (Sally) Stanton (my husband is connected through their son Alverine/Almarine). Thomas was also father to Sampson Harp Sr. whose son William Harp married Charlotte Harrison. So it looks like we connect at Thomas Marion Harp Sr. We have talked to a lot of people descended from this line. Good luck with your searching and let us know if there is anything we can help you out on.

Ellie Harp

Replying to:

Hi,

My great great great grandmother Charlotte Harrison married a William Harp in Granville North Carolina. They had at least 12 children one of which was my great great grandmother, Elizabeth Harp. The others were Winnie Reddin, Mary, Sarah, Wyett, Jan, Thomas Jefferson, Susannah, Martha,a Baby unnamed, Salina, and James Maddison. Elizabeth was born in Overton Co. Tennessee. She married William Franklin Davis. They had nine children, one of which was my great grandmother Emaline. Emaline was a twin. I have quite a bit of info that I have gathered mostly from the internet and am really on a search for beginnings. I am presently corresponding with a decendent of Thomas Jefferson Harp. Would love to find more family from direct lines. Thanks Julie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Harps

Hi again,

Interesting isn't it...this search for beginnings. My husband has another year until he retires and then we are really planning on attending some of these reunions. The Ancestors of the Harps in Arkansas if they have another reunions, the Davis clan in Missouri and the Crowells in Tennessee.

Did you know that a bunch of the Harps moved to Visalia, California in the 1850's to the 1870's? Also did you know that there are many sets of twins and thought to be at least one set of triplets. My great grandmother, Emaline, the daughter of Elizabeth Harp Davis was a twin. She and her sister were both born in Arkansas between 1846 and 1850. Have found them on the 1850 census. Charlotte (Harrison) Harp lived with her son, Thomas Jefferson Harp in Madison Co Arkansas in the 1850 census and she was living in my great great grandmother, Elizabeth Harp Davis home in the 1860 Christian County, Missouri census. My great grandmother Emaline was listed as being 13 in that census.

I don't know when the families moved to Arkansas but my great grandmother Emalines first two brothers were born in Christian County Missouri, then the next four including my great grandmother were born in Madison County Arkansas and then the last three were born back in Christian Co Missouri. I have come to the conclusion that the Davis and Harp families were related clear back to Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina.

Well will talk to you another time. Julie

Replying to:

Hi Julie,

That 1850 Census you mentioned was the first information we found that led us to believe Alverine/Almarine was my husband's great great great grandfather. I wish I could remember who shared that information with us but it's been so long ago I can't remember. The reason I mention Alverine as Almarine is because the only census he showed up as Alverine in was the 1850 Census. We have found him in 1830, 1840, 1860, 1870, and 1880 listed as a form of Almarine yet I still find myself thinking of him as Alverine. I guess because we did for so long.

His son William's (my husband's great great grandfather) death certificate lists his father as Almareen. All the other information that goes any farther back than that is what we have found in the Descendants of John Earp GEDCOM file which goes back to the late 1500's. Have you seen that? It lists a Cheryl Harpe Smith as contributor of a lot of the information on my husband's line but I have been unable to make contact with her. I would love to know where she found all the information. My husband and I pretty much hit a brick wall at Almarine. Just wish we could get copies of some of the documents I imagine the researcher has.

On another note-- I just sat down and figured it out. You and my husband are 6th cousins! I think that you are probably the most distant relative we have found so far. It's mind boggling when you think just how many people there are out there that can trace their roots back to the same line that we share. I believe it was in July, up in Northern Arkansas there was a Harp Reunion and I believe that many of the Harp's in that area are connected to William and Charlotte. We heard about it too late to go this year but we are hoping we can make it next year. Well, I didnt mean to go on and on like this.

Hope to hear from you again soon,

Ellie

Replying to:

Hi Ellie,

Replying to:

Hi Julie,

Ellie Harp

Replying to:

Hi,