NCBS Stolen & Missing Instrument Information Page

This is the Northern California Bluegrass Society's national infomation page for stolen and missing musical instruments. This page can be used to announce the theft or other loss of musical instruments, updates on subsequent investigations, and news about the recovery of instruments. The forum is HTML-enabled, so that links may be added to other websites that contain pictures and other detailed information about the instruments. The NCBS does not warrant the accuracy of any information posted. Contact the source for details. Good luck to all!

NCBS Stolen & Missing Instrument Information Page
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Monteleone Grand Artist No. 63, 2005 John Sullivan custom F.

Please help. My house in Tijeras, NM (near Albuquerque) was broken into today and both my mandolins were stolen. This has always been my worst nightmare since they are virtually irreplaceable. I am beyond distraught. They are unique high value instruments, and I am a working musician in 2 bands, now without my tools, so I would appreciate it if everyone would keep an eye out for them. They are:

Monteleone Grand Artist No. 63, heavy wear on top on scroll and lower bout (naturally distressed by 28 years of playing - bought in new in 1981). The finish is partially worn down to bare wood in these areas. No pickguard. Most of finish worn off the back of the neck. Housed in a green Pegasus case with green velvet lining. Label inside signed "John Monteleone" with serial number 63 written in blue ink.

2005 John Sullivan custom F. John did not put his name on the peghead, but it is stamped on the truss rod cover. No finish on neck. It is signed on the inside back "John Sullivan 2005." Abbreviated pickguard. Has a double torch inlay on the headstock. Housed in a cream colored Pegasus case with green velvet lining.

I have attached pictures showing their unique characteristics. The signature on the label in the Monteleone is smeared by water drops (you can sort of see that in one of the pictures). I believe that the Sullivan was the only F he made in 2005. There are a few scratches on the top now that aren't in the pictures, and the varnish finish had checked along the seams on the side of the scroll, sort of looking like a crack, but really only a slight gap that developed in the finish due to the dry climate.

I'm sure the thieves have no idea what they got, so who knows where they will show up, but I'm hoping that somebody will spot them on Ebay or Craig's List or wherever.

I am prepared to offer a reward of $500 each or $1,000 for both. Thanks for your help. If you find out anything, please call me at 505-379-1732 (my cell phone). Thanks.

Bob Gray