Return to Website

Politics and Human Rights Forum

Welcome to the Forums.

You are invited to express your ideas and points of view by opening a new forum or just

by replying to an old one.

Just avoid fanatism, insults and themes not related to the website.

Maximiliano Herrera  -The Editor

Politics and Human Rights Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Scotland

Does anyone think that there are good possibilities of Scotland being independent from the United Kingdom? I just wanted other peoples opinions... thanks

Re: Scotland

It looks unlikely.I think alot of Scots seemed pretty disgusted with the fiasco of the cost involved in the Scottish parliament.

I hope the Scots do become independent.They have a great culture that shouldn't be left in the shadows of Britishness.

Not in the short term.
It is not worth it. Scotland has a great degree of atonomy and it is in a democratic country.
Scots have the right to use and express their culture.
We never know what can happen in the long term.

Have a look at this site:

http://www.mherrera.org/newcountries.htm

Yes that is how i found this site because i am quite interested in other countries etc.

I understand your points but how would it not be worth it? We would remain a democratic country like Ireland did, but Scots would have a better say over the whole spectrum of politics, and not have to leave it some things to London. It would be a lot more democratic than us in the UK because after this years general election we will only have 59 MPs i think, compared to Englands 500 or so, with Wales and N.Ireland only making up around 40 altogether. So currently who Scotland vote for might not even get a say in Parliament.

In Wales, most people are all for the revival of the language and culture, but very few seriously consider total separation from UK. Main reasons being "We are not sure we'll cope on our own". So I think the economic situation is the decisive thing here.

Anyway, an eventual sepration of Scotland could bring the end of the United Kingdom.
I guess the british monarchy is very afraid of it.
If an eventual independence of Scotland will happen in the mid or long term, both new scottish and british leaders must underline that it would be a "friendly" separation and that the two countries will be the closest and friendliest in the world.
It could cool the domino effect it can bring in the whole UK, in Spain, in France (Corsica) and other european countries, which could undermine the current process of reunification and integration in Europe, even because we don t have any guarantee that separations will be peaceful everywhere.

Independence would probably damage the UK, in quite a big way with less taxes, none of the north sea oil etc so i would agree that the "British" government and monarchy would offer fierce resistence and try to stop it happening. Scotland is probably rich enough to cope with seperation- Wales might not because they are a lot less populous and have been dependent on England for a lot more centuries. We have the oil and a lot of service based industry that would carry us. And anyways, we are not that different to Ireland so would probably be like them.

If Scotland can get the oil in the North Sea all to itself (which I doubt, London is not so naive as to allow this), I guess they can be quite well-off and happy. Europe would probably only welcome that - who needs London always trying to have "a proper influence on the shaping of Europe".

I'd say there's more chance of English independence from the UK than Scottish independence...

i dunno to be honest i couldnt imagine it as they dont have much of a chance to get independence like their own parliament like scotland and wales they have to do everything via the British one

They weren't happy when Scottish Mps voted to introduce education fees for England about a year ago.

There are a couple of sites on the web advocating an independent England.

No, we weren't.

I myself would prefer a federal Britain which makes me especially glad that Prescott's mad little scheme was binned at the first oppurtunity by Northern voters.

But I have agree that the only real motivation to keeping the UK together is an economic one. Though that may just be because me and my fellow evil Southerners always beign told that we have no love lost with anyone.

I cannot imagine an United Kingdom without England.
England is , dont misunderstand me!, the essence of the United Kingdom.
Could you imagine an union of Scotland, Wales and Nothern Ireland ?
Would they be called the United Republics or what ?
I don t think it is possible; an independent England would autonamicaly carry the disintegration of the whole Union.

Blair knows this and has in the past spoken of the danger of an independent England.
That is why in England there were plans to carve England up into regions as opposed to Scotland,Wales and Ireland's north which get devolution for the entire territory.
The plan to carve England up into regions is suspected by many to be a plan to ensure no English nationalist party grows in Britain.

However I feel their efforts could have the opposite effect.Many English people are calling for an English parliament and if this creates a sense of identity in the English then it's inevitable a party will emerge calling for an end to the UK and an English republic.
This would lead to Scotland becoming independent also and I would bet that Wales and England would join together with some sort of Home Rule emerging for Wales within England.
NI would likely be put under joint sovereignty of the Irish Republic and Scotland and England however NI without its Britishness would likely see many unionists heading to England or Scotland and Ireland reuniting.
It is not an impossible scenario at all if English people voice their concerns about their country losing its identity.

I dont see England becoming independent somehow. As far as i know there is not a single English Inependent MP in parliament.So it would take a lot. Im pretty sure England wouldnt leave without Wales as well. If it happened this way however, scotland would probs become independent as well and if england didnt keep wales they would too as then there would be nothing keeping us 3 countries together.

I doubt Wales could survive on its own.As I said,I would expect England would run Wales if it was independent.

Why don't Scottish Mps in Westminster make life difficult for the other MPs the way Irish nationalists did in the 19th century?
This would infuriate Englsih MPs and lead for calls for an English-only parlaiment which would help Scottish nationalism.

This would depend on what view you take. It has been expressed by some that devolution could kill the independance movements.

I think it is true that devolution has harmed the Scottish and Welsh movements but I don't think it would be the same for the English as they haven't had the chance to govern themselves.
I don't think the English can be as comfortable with their Englsihness as the Scots and Welsh are with their Scottishness and Welshness.

I think it was John Prescott who,not too long ago,remarked that England did not exist.

So if England was granted the same amount of autonomy as Scotland it wouldn't put any strain on any independance movement there may be? I honestly don't see how.

The message I'd always got was that it was more of a case that we SHOULDN'T be comfortable with our Englishness because being English means you're an evil redcoat and planning to steal potoatoes and tie young colleens to railway tracks (whilst twirling moustache). Prescott obviously thinks so seeing as he's seems to be trying to literally erase England.

Re: Re: Scotland

England deserves the same respect given to Scotland and Wales. MPs representing non-English constituencies shouldn't be allowed to vote on issues affecting only England. This means existing English MPs vote for English issues in Westminster or an entirely separate English parliament will have to be set up. Either way we'll get no cooperation from the current government, as it would put Blair at a serious disadvantage.

If English people want their own parliament they need to organise a party and call for one.There would be much support,I feel.

I think that in the long run England will secede from the UK, and renegotiate its treaties with the EU. Under the European umbrella the Celtic nations would regain self-confidence and be free to follow their own agendas and policies. The "United Kingdom" as a concept is now pretty much a dried out shell, or relic. It creates more problems than it solves (e.g. the so-called West Lothian question, unfair subsidies, the illusion of being a major power, etc.)

I think Scotland has already started on the road to independence and there is no going back. The differences in identity between Scottish and English and Welsh are being percieved more and more (although I don't think the differences are that great). The English always had the concept of Britishness as their identity whilst the Scots and Welsh kept theirs. As the English discover their identity they will question why they are in the Union as much as the Scots do and when this happens there won't be the economic doubt to hold them back.

Scotland being independant would be the worst thing to ever happen to the country.