BASA, It's Like A Family Reunion Every Weekend!

468x60 Faster Easier Car 

When Traveling To Your Tournaments, Be Sure To Use Orbitz, a BASA Website Affiliate

Please Post Only BASA Related Tournament Information On The Message Board

BASA, It's Like A Family Reunion Every Weekend!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT THAT

T.I. performed in the Nati last night,but
you know people can`t just have a good time
and then go home. Apparently,some people got
into it with some of T.I.`s homeies and 4 people
got shot on I-75 last night at about 3:30 a.m.
more info to come.
I think these younger people need serious help.

Re: WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT THAT

Yes Nati#3 I agree with you.It not the adult Causeing the problem it's the Kids.Because I know back in our days we didn't need police in our schools.I had a kid bring a gun to school just Monday and I had to lock him up.Now this kid have Five felony. All because somebody was talking loud to his friend.As bad as it look his friend had a toy gun also.And they are both (15)years old.So my Question is what do we as adult do to try to stop our kids from doing crazy thing like this.Because we are the one that are letting happen.Because our parent would let us get away with thing like that at all.Because if I had to shoot those kids the parents would have been mad at me but they are the one not doing there job.Because I plan every day I walk out of my door to come back home to my family.

This Hip Hop culture is destroying our youth. I would be lying if I said I didn't listen to some of it. But I mainly listen for the beat and couldnt tell you half of the words. These kids try to LIVE it. Thats a problem, cause most of the people that are rapping it aren't living it. Instead of picking up a book and reading it, these kids allow this music to marinate on their minds. And the music is not positive. Calling women ******* and hoes, glorifying jail time and selling dope are not what we need. BET is Black Entertainment Television, is being black about watching videos with half naked women? I can go on and on about this topic, but i end with this...we need to monitor what our kids listen too and watch on television because as long as money is involved the music and whats put on television will get worse and worse.

Good comments guys. I totally agree. Today's teenagers do not VALUE life at all. We've got to take back our youth. Let's think about doing a basa state wide youth reform? Just a thought.

I feel you #14, but i think it goes deeper then that. There is a big time disconnect between parents and children today due to many socio-economic reasons. Parents aren't parenting anymore, they are allowing a culture that has nothing positive to offer influence there children. When I was coming up I had to tell my mother about every lil step i took prior to departing my home and upon arrival. Yes this generation of kids are disrepectful and unruly for the most part...but all you have to do is look at their parents and the way they interact to find the answers you seek.

ESQ#23 I have a 17 year old son. He stays upset with me because he has a 12:30 curfew. He must call when he leaves one place to go to another. His favorite comment is that my friends don't have a curfew. I tell him that's his friends parents problem. They probably have one but just don't follow it. Is this an unreasonable curfew time? Just a question?

Put it like this MAMA, up until I was in 12th grade my curfew was 10:00. Man, I already knew if I couldn't be in at 10:00, don't even bother going. My momma told me, "if the fun can't end by ten then tell you're friends not to count you in"

Mama I think that is a respectible time...I had no curfew and I got into a helluva lot of trouble out there in the streets late nights.....Theres really nothing legal for a 17 yr old to do late nights.....#14...I really don't think it's hip hop....I really believe it was crack cocaine and the instant gratification people get from the money and using the drugs....Our men are going to jail for life because of these non aggressive crimes....people are not caring for their kids becaue the drugs are comsuming their lives.....if you listen to every hi[p hop star....they are supposely ex-crack cocaine dealers...so if we stop the parents and grandparents from using crack then maybe we can save lives but hey we can't....factories are leaving.....Blacks use to be able to live off these factory jobs but now....nothing...so it's not the music.....Because if you listen to some blues, jazz and old r&b there is the same sexual tone and the talk of jail and dying....just listen....music just reach more people today on a higher level!!!!!1

The music used to be a reflection of real life. Now real life is a reflection of the music.

You sho'll right #15 it all goes back to drugs and money. My mom use to page the hell out of me late nights while I was in the middle of doin dirt. Mama you are doing the right thing and when your son reflects on it he'll be greatful. I almost learned the hard way and some of my friends did learn the hard way if you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong I love RAP but allot of kids and adults the same want to live by what they hear and see on tv. They just don't know the difference between the artists reality and their own.

You can't blame the rap you gotta blame parenting!!! If a child is brought up right then rap wont influence them that way. When we were growing up SEXUAL HEALING WAS A BIG HIT AND WE DIDN'T RUN OUT AND HAVE SEX WITH EVERYONE AVAILIBLE. ITS ALL ABOUT THE UP BRINGING!!

Rap has a major MAJOR influence on kids you can ask any school teacher that.

It’s not always or only parenting. I know everyone here knows two brothers or two sisters raised in the same house under the same rules that are completely different. It’s all personal choice.

Once a kid develops a ‘I don’t care attitude’ “what do you DO”

Beat them --- I don’t care
Take away TV, Video games, Sports --- I don’t care
Send them the Boot Camp --- I don’t care.

WHAT DO YOU DO??

send them away and they will care!!! all this time out crap is for the birds!!!!! Rap may send a bad message but rap don't make them do the stupid stuff they do

Frazone, I'm not blaming Rap, but you gotta admit some people say I want to do what they do and live how they live. That's just the facts. When I was in junior high and NWA came out it didn't make me want to sell drugs and shoot up $#!t but I loved the music and the stories they told. Now you hear Bling this and Bling that but how is a kid suppose to get that? HMMM....huSTLin!!

I agree wit cha but its something cause like u said when i was listening to NWA in middle school too i'm like you i didn't wanna go sell drugs or shoot someone either!!! I knew better!!! lets face it these kids ain't right but we can't blame it solely on rap!!!! but you right it don't help!!!!!

Thanks for the comments they are appreciated. When I was a child, I really feared my parents. Most kids these days don't fear anybody or anything. I really go crazy on my son every once in a while to make sure he fears me. I take him to Church so that he will learn to fear the wrath of God. I hope one day it will prove to be enough, but I don't know. The bible says raise a child up in the way that he should go and when and if he or she departs, they will come back. I believe the word of God.

Frazone like I said its personal choice.
This is how it was explained to me

In the dirty south in the 50’s and 60’s upper class blacks were forced to like among lower class blacks. So the upper class had the best cars or the nicest homes and that’s who or what kids looked up to.

Upper class = teachers, doctors, railroad workers, etc

Slowly hear come integration and who moves out?
The "upper class." Now who has the best cars or the niceties homes? The hustler!
Kids started to find there new role models.

So on and so forth
I know I’m missing a lot of in between stuff but your child will look up to someone other then you.

Southern Girl, if a parent is a positive motivating force in a childs life, then they won't stray far from the nest. Like Mama said, "you have to instill fear into your child when they go astray. Turning the other cheek only enables this behavior. I take full responsibilty for my childs behavior. When he does something wrong it's a reflection on me as a parent. Does it mean that I am a bad parent when he goes astray? No!!! it just means I have to find another way to reach him. We as parents have alot more control then we give ourselves credit for. A child needs structure in their lives. A good way to ensure this structure is to set curfews. Curfews are a good way of controling what a child does and the parents role is secured. I personally would set a curfew of 1100 for a 17 yr old. I was told nothing good ever happens after midnight...but then again thats my preference. Yes a child has a choice...it's the one we as parents give him or her!!!

In regards to the music, yes back in the day they were singing music to get your groove on. But they were also sing about love. Back in the day you didnt see portable 8-track or record players, so the only time we got to listen to those songs were on the radio or if you bought the records. Todays teens have the internet, mp3 players, protable cd players, etc. So in other words they can listen to it ALL the time. You have 3 gates to your brain (eyes, ear and mouth). You see, speak and hear enough negative things you will be a negative person. Your tongue is a very powerul thing in your life. Thats why its good to surround yourself with positive people. The parents are getting younger and are into the same things the kids are into and will allow them to pretty much do anything, just to get out of their way. Kids need to be shown love. Men we really need to step up, its ok to hung your son's, nephew's or whoever and tell them you love them.

All these comments are very good ones.I have to agree with every one of them.Good parenting goes a long way,I was blessed to have two parent who love me the hard way.Ms.Dobbs I'm very proud to say I know you.Job well done.

Jody...I though you were going to hit with Head...Get off the Board...

First all I would like to say you get out your kids what you invest in them...If you don't spend quality time or never invest money in them to get the proper trainings and then you will get exactly that nothing....The top notch athelete and the spelling bee winners and the Havard/Yale grads people are spending money for kids to receive training.....If you have a child that comes home to a house without a parent at the age of 12-16....8 times out of 10 they will have sex...and if they are listening to this music and the parents are not listening because they like R&B expect for the kids not to be able to understand the real from the fact....All I'm saying is spend time with your kids and decipher what they are listening to!!!!!1

I agree with all of you. Mama I think that is a good time for your son to come inside. All I know is, when I was growing up the only music I listend to was gospel. The only place I could go was to school, church and back home. Of course some of us back then didn't understand why our parents was so strict on us but now being adults and parents we can appreciate their strictness. We need to keep praying for each other and each others families because that is the only thing that is going to bring us out of this cruel world that we are all living. Prayer is the key and faith unlocks the door.

And this is one off the reason there is nothing to do here for US, what up Nati #3. Always something going on here in the Nati, thats why THEY are moving US far out from the city.

Sandy, you are right. Prayer is the key and Faith will always unlock the door. Thanks for the comments. Airmac #00 you know you have always been one of my buddies. Thanks for being a friend.lol

Yo Frazone I heard "sexual healing" by Marvin Gaye when I was younger but color me naive, I didn't realling now what it actually was because it was full of metaphors in dealing with the sexual part.

Nowadays, artist will put in the song that they want to put their %$#@ in yo &^%$ and make you %$#@^ and &^^%$# and then I'm going to do it again and do &^%$# and make you ^%$#*(_.

There is no tact, creativity or respect in most new music. Back in the day, they might have eluded to it but nowadays, they leave nothing to the imagination

Hey all....

I work with juvenile delinquents who are committed to State custody. You all would not believe how many kids come into custody (in Nashville TN)each week because they commit serious offenses. These kids do not care because it is someone elses turn to take care of them. I blame the court system because they "baby" these youths instead of treating some of these youths as adults. All that happens to them is state custody. Most of them are put back into the community into foster homes.

Anyway, when I sit down with these kids, all they know is the hard core raps and how these songs are related to their lives and/or what they've seen. Wether male or female, it is like a trend to be involved with the law and being in a gang.

Lord i need to start proof reading

Ms Miller but the songs are depictions of there lives....I also work with at risk youth and committed youth and 9 times out 10 there mom don't care (dad is gone) and he don't care....These 9 and 10 year olds are walking the streets late at night and selling drugs....the rap songs are what America has become....you did not see all this before crack cocaine came into play...but you can't be upset with rappers because they are letting you know what is going on in American....and sometimes you are not going to see it because you have move away from these areas as Adults.....These rappers are not forcing you to by the records and the 9-17 yr old is not buying the records....It's the adults and white kids....to buy cds you have to have money!!!!!1 Just think for a moment these white kids are listening to the same music and not all of them are out there doing drive bys and killing others.....and some are still receiving great educations.....the fight we need to battle is the educational system....I still can not see how if a person graduate from college able to teach school how is it different if shes teaching in the black or white neighborhood....seems odd!!!!1

Good morning to everyone. #15 I really feel you on this one. I don't blame the rappers, I blame the parents for not teaching the kids about rap music. It's just entertainment. Most of the songs are some what true, but alot of them are just fairy tales. If the rappers themselves was doing all this killing and stealing they would be in jail instead of making the cd's. We have to educate our children to have common sense as well as book sense. Talking to them on a regular basis is the most effective way to do this.

mama is right. back in the day rap songs depicted real life experience. Now real life imitates the music.

#15 and MAMA..I feel both of you...The rappers will keep making the music as long as they keep getting paid. The problem is the parents, they dont monitor their children. God has given these rappers a talent, lets us it to gloify Him in a positive way, not to talk about all the sex they can get, all the dope they can sell and all the cars they can drive. Thats the problem I have with the rappers. Like you said these kids arent buying it, but they sure find a way to listen to it over and over and over again. Ive seen small children saying the words to a song and dancing like the girls in the video and didnt know 2+2, this is the parents fault.

#14 that's something. This reminded me of the 1st day I started teaching my son his abc's. Vanilla Ice had just came out with the song ice ice baby. We were riding and my son at 2 years old started singing ice ice baby. I looked at him and said ice ice baby nothing, you better be singing a b **** c. He thought for a long time that was the way the alphabet started a b **** c. He finally got them right by the time he turned 3 years old. It's funny how easily kids can pick up on things.

Parenting is the key!!!

hey Mama you right about things they pick up on..but like you did we have to correct them before the state does. We can't think it is funny and laugh when our kids (especially the babies) curse, or are in the middle of the soul train line at the family reunion do the shake dances. those are learned behaviors that can be corrected.

LOVE MUSIC MAKES SOME IN LOVE DO WHAT OTHERS CALL STUPID.>>>> CHURCH MAKES SOME FANATICS SORRY BUT IT'S TRUE.>>>>. RAP JUST MAKES THEM FLAT-OUT -STUPID WHEN TRYING TO EMULATE WHAT THEY HEAR.>>>>MUSIC HAS AND ALWAYS WILL HAVE A INFLUENCE ON THE MINDS OF PEOPLE.(SOME GOOD ; SOME BAD)

yeah we have to monitor and talk to the kids because although my 5 yr old can read and add two digit numbers she still lean with it and rock with it and her mom show her how to do the little nasty dances but.....you could not pay her to perform the nasty dance in front of me.....I will kill her and she knows.....so I'm saying express your displeasure with there behavior and like kids they will want to please there parents but this have to start at a early age.....Like two three yrs old and don't let up at 13 and 14!!!!!1

Everyone has made great and valid points. I just wish we had a fool proof plan to get this information out to our people. Reaching one at a time is great but reaching everyone would be greater. Peace

#15...thats the problem im having..im trying to raise a 16 year old young man, that has been neglected for the fisrt 14 years of his life. But I can say after 2 years of my hairline receeding faster that it should, he is finally starting to get it.

Great points everyone....

WHAT'S UP#15? EVERYONE HAS MAID SOME GOOD POINTS,BUT THERE IS NO FOOL PROOF WAY OF RAISING THIS KIDS TODAY.MAMA IF WHAT YOU'RE DOING IS WORKING KEEP DOING IT. YEAH THE RAP MUSIC MAY PLAY A ROLE IN THE FINAL ACT IN SOME CASES,BUT THERE HAS BEEN A FAILURE IN RAISING PROCESS LONG BEFORE THAT. ALOT OF THESE ARE NOT GIVEN ANYTHING ELSE TO LOOK FORWARD TO AND ALOT OF TIMES THAT IS THE PARENTS FALT,BUT IT'S ALSO AN ECONOMIC PROBLEM. SOME PEOPLE JUST DON'T HAVE THE FINANCIAL MEANS TO OFFER THE KIDS ANYTHING ELSE.YES THE DRUG SEEN HAD ALOT TO DO WITH IT. I'M 32 YEARS OLD AND ALOT OF THE GUYS I GREW UP WITH ARE IN JAIL AND GUESS WHAT THEY HAVE KIDS SO HOW ARE RAISING THOSE KIDS AND SHOWING THEM HOW A MAN TAKES CARE OF HIS HOME (THE STREETS). I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN THE PROJECTS,BUT I HAD BOTH MY PARENTS THERE AND MY MOM DIDN'T WORK. I WATCHED MY DAD SACRIFICE TO TAKE CARE OF HIS FAMILY AND THAT HOW I LEARNED TO BE A MAN.A LOT OF PARENTS THESE DAY DON'T DO THAT.ONE OF THE REASON WHY ARE BECAUSE WE HAVE THESE KIDS OUT HERE HAVING KIDS. NOW HOW ARE THEY GOING TI KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT RAISING SOMEONE WHEN THEY HAVE NO CLUE THEMSELVES.THIS THING WITH THE KIDS IS MUCH BIGGER THAN RAP MUSIC,DRUGS,AND ECONOMICS, EVENTHOUGH THESE ARE SOME OF THE MAJOR PARTS IN IT.SOME HOW WE ARE GOING TO HAVE BRAKE DOWN IN REVERSE. THE LAST 40 YEARS AND I DON'T THINK THAT'S POSSIBLE.SO ALL I CAN SAY TO END IS IF YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING THAT'S WORKING WITH YOUR KID TRY TO SHARE IT WITH THE NEXT PARENT.AND TRY TO GIVE THEM SOMETHING MORE TO LOOK FORWARD TO THAN WHAT THEY SEE ON VIDEO OR IN A SONG.GET THEM INVOLVED IN DIFRENT THINGS AT A YOUNG AGE.SPORTS,DANCE,MUSIC,ECT.............ONE LOVE.......WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO DO THIS TOGETHER.........

#14 one thing you said is for the first 14 years he was neglected so naturally he will trust no one but for the last to years of your hard work and honesty and not giving up on him he is finally getting it and therefore he will make it all the kids want is LOVE.....whats up my boi Bruno....you know how I am and the situations I came to college with being on probation and not having anyone but guess who I leran things from you and the other baseball playas(Bishop) who had parents...... I use to be jealous in College when people parents came to visit and send care packages but what could I do....it only made me work harder.....Bruno you help me out a lot boi and to you I want to say Thank You.....cause without you I could not make it to my Anger Management classes and you cut my hair Thanks Bra!!!!!1

WHATS THE DEAL CANTY ILL HIT YOU UP A LITTLE LATER WHERE YALL AT THIS WEEKEND?

15 boy i've seen you grow over these past 13 years. alot of times i didn't know if you was going to make it,but hell you did it big.you know you will always be family and one thing my parents all ways touhgt me is if you can help somebody do so because you never know when you may need that same helping hand. alot of that is missing today. we are becoming a selfish nation and the more selfish we get the worse things get.........and you know those were the best cuts you ever had(free)............R.Kelly......we still have to work on that temper

oh yeah 14 keep showing him that love,it will pay off in the long run. more kids need that.stay strong......one love....

#14 I want ask the circumstances around you getting involved in this child's life, but obviously it was a wonderful thing. I really hope he understands that he is one of the exceptions that have a opportunity to live a better life. There are so many kids that never get out of those situations. God will Bless you for what you do for his little ones. Stay strong.

Thanks MAMA, #15 and Big9...It's been difficult, but it has really help me to grow as a father. Im only 34 years old, so I would say I was not ready for it, but you gotta help when the opportunity is put in front of us. The kids in the 10th grade and has gotten letters from UGA, TECH, VA TECH and the university of arkansas . So he has potential just needs to renew his mind and i do see the effort in him to do that. There is a lot of trash talk (all in fun) on this board, but there is also alot of WISDOM.