BASA, It's Like A Family Reunion Every Weekend!

468x60 Faster Easier Car 

When Traveling To Your Tournaments, Be Sure To Use Orbitz, a BASA Website Affiliate

Please Post Only BASA Related Tournament Information On The Message Board

BASA, It's Like A Family Reunion Every Weekend!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
UMPIRES>> NEED TO KNOW

WHY IS IT THAT 2 UMPIRES TOGETHER CAN'T GET IT RIGHT. IT'S NOT WRONGE TO OVER-RULE THE OTHER WHEN EVERYONE IN THE PARK KNOWS HE/SHE WAS WRONGE.THIS IS YOUR JOB CAUSE YOU DO GET PAID 2 GET IT RIGHT.

Re: UMPIRES>> NEED TO KNOW

THAT'S NOT HOW IT GOES, COMING FROM SOMEONE WHO IS AN UMPIRE, WHEN YOUR UMPIRING A GAME THE ONLY FRIEND YOU HAVE AT THAT TIME IS THE OTHER UMPIRE, SO IF THE CROWD IS DOWN HIS BACK AND YOU CHANGE THAT CALL THAT MAKES BOTH OF YOU VULNERABLE, BECAUSE NOW THE CROWD THINKS THEY CAN SCARE HIM AND BI*CH AT YOU TO GET WHAT THEY WANT, AND EVENTUALLY THAT WILL TAKE HIS CONFIDENCE LEVEL DOWN, FORCING HIM TO MAKE MORE BAD CALLS, AND YOU TO OVERRULE THEM. THEREFORE GIVING ALL THE CONTROL OF THAT GAME TO THE CROWD.

So as a ump its more important to "have someones back" rather than make the right call.The thing is I thought the whole idea of 2 umps was to see more sometimes there are situations when plays occur when the ump responsible for that bag or catch is out of position and the other ump has a better view so whats wrong with the ump overruling the other as long as the correct call is being made.As a player when umps confer on a disputed call and get the call right they don't lose any credibility with me it just lets me know they want to get things right not just make a call and refuse to be questioned at all even by a coach.

If more of you spent more time playing then crying you would ok. The umps cant cause you to win or lose a game. I hit when someone is at the plate and get a strike called on them, they dont agree with, and cry! You only need one strike to hit the ball so hit it and stop crying some much! And GA player, if your team mate was running to first and the ball got there before him and they called your team mate safe, would you go out and protest the fact that they were out? I didnt think so. SO, allow the umps to do there jobs and you just do your part and the game will be ok.

NO I DISAGREE WITH THAT..I TOO UMPIRE ASA AND USSSA AND IF I HAVE A CALL THAT IS QUESTIONABLE AND IF I THINK IT WAS CLOSE ENOUGH FOR ME TO ASK HELP, I WILL ASK FOR HELP. I TELL MY PARTNER B4 WE START THE GAME THAT I AM NOT PERFECT AND NEITHER ARE YOU SO IF I MAKE A BAD CALL AND THEY ASK FOR HELP GIVE WHAT YOU SAW B/C I WILL DO THE SAME....ITS BETTER TO HAVE 2 VIEWS THAN 1.

First I don't get into that arguing balls and strikes because if you have played in more than one tourney in your life no 2 umps have the same strike zone and unlike some players I am not so green as to think if I argue the ump is going to change their strike zone to suit me.The thing about hustling goes both ways I have seen a few umps that stay out of proper position and don't hustle into position because they think they can make a call on first positioned like someone is on first when its empty.I remember a tourney Iplayed in where the field ump stayed in one spot the whole game that was a few years ago if you go to that park now his footprints are still there out behind second that grass just won't come back.But most of the umps hustle and get into position to make the proper call and you are wrong about 1 call not blowing a game give some of the better comp or super rec teams an extra out and itcould get ugly.

It is always good to have two umpires on the field. The purpose is to make sure that the call is correct. Remember most umpires are players too! We are human and make mistakes. I don't see where umpires intentionally make the wrong call. Myself, if it is a call based on judgement then I don't think help is needed, if it is call based on rule interpretation, then I will gladly ask for help. Now to clarify a judgement call, if I am out of position and I can't see a tag or if someone pulled their foot off the bag, I will ask for help, but on a bang bang call I won't. For those of your that wear both hats; player and umpire, you know what it is like to be on both sides. If you can intimidate a umpire as a player you will try by questioning their strike zone or their calls. Players seem to rag the umpires, but I will challenge anyone to put the uniform on. Yes, you are getting paid for it, but at the end of the day we are breaking even. We are out there for the love of the game. I am not saying that there are not any bad umpires, yes some need to retire, but the game will be more pleasant if you the players came to field with fellowship and having fun on your mind and not trying to intimidate the umpires.

VON YOU'VE SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE UMPIRE .....BRAVO

I PLAY AND UMPIRE AND I DON'T GET THEM ALL RIGHT BUT ANYTIME IAM NOT SURE I WILL ALWAYS CHECK WITH MY PARTNER TO SEE IF HE SAW IT DIFFERENTLY.BEING ON BOTH SIDES THAT'S THE LEAST I CAN DO THE JOB OF UMPIREING IS NOT EASY BUT WHEN TEAMS KNOW THAT YOU AND YOUR PARTNER WILL WORK TOGETHER IN MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD.

THE PROBLEM IS A LOT OF UMPIRES GET TOGETHER AND TELL THE OTHER ONE.( WHAT EVER ONE OF US CALLS THE OTHER ONE AGREES) I'VE TALKED TO MANY AND THEY SAY WHAT YOU SAY BRANDE. BUT WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND IS THAT PEOPLE SPEND A LOT OF MONEY FOR A WEEKEND. FOR A BAD CALL TO END IT.>>>CAUSE A UMPIRE CAN STOP A TEAM ON A ROLL AND..>PLAY BALL SO ALL YOU WANT IS A PAYCHECK NO MATTER HOW BAD YOU'VE DONEYOUR JOB?? A LOT OF U.M.PZ MAKE CALLS AND DON'T WANT ANYONE TOO QUESTION THEM ... YOU MUST BE ONE !!THATS A BAD UMPIRE YOU TAKE AWAY FROM THE GAME ALOT.

As I told you let it go and just pitch strikes.

IF I DID THAT YOU WOULD CALL TO GET ME.

Thanks Brande! Jeter do remember that Umpires spend a lot of money on the weekend as well. There are some bad calls, but every losing team looks for an excuse for the lost, and it usually points to the umpire and not the errors or the fly outs. Just play the game, at the end there will be one winner and one loser,hopefully it's not your team.

I feel what you sayin jeter, and I can't speak for all umpires but I know my checks don't be all that great for me to endure the abuse that I do as an umpire. Another thing for those who have played at this level for over 10 yrs has seen at least one umpire get a punch thrown at him/her, I know I seen it happen last year and jeter I think you were at that game, so naturally umpires team up with each other.

HOW MUCH MONEY DOSE A UMPIRE PUT OUT OF HIS/HERS POCKET,AND BE REAL. YOU MAKE MONEY THAT WEEKEND SO NOTHING REALLY COMES FROM YOUR POCKET LIKE IT DOSE FROM THE PLAYERS>>>>ROOMS-TRANS-FOOD-ECT.. WHICH OF THESE --DO-YOU-NOT- PAY OUT OF THE MONEY YOU MAKE VON THE UMPIRE????????//

BRANDE IF YOUR UMPIRING WITH SOMEONE ELSE WHAT WOULD IT HURT TO ASK. SOMETIME A UMPIRE THINKS TO CONTROL THE GAME THEY MUST BE ABSOLUTELY THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN TALK.WRONG IS WRONG HUMANS CAN BE WRONG. THE HARDEST THING IS FOR ONE UMPIRE TO DO A GAME. HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU SEEN SOMEONE ASKED THE UMP. FOR A APPEAL AND THEY SAY SOMETHING LIKE I DON'T NEED TO.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AND BY THE WAY BRANDE HI SWEET YOUNG WOMAN>>>>>>>

Jeter let it go remember much like your pitching no ump is perfect.

oOK OK

Jeter, please let it go. But as for our expenses, the only thing that is covered is room and board. We pay for travel, GAS, food, and if you decide to bring your family, one night of the room expense. You dediced to be a player, stop ragging on the UMPIRES. The only way to understand what a umpire is thinking out there on the field is become one yourself. You will have more respect then. ... The secret of life is not to do what you like, but like what you do. I do believe most umpires stand by this. I know umpires makes mistakes, but so does a batter when he hits into a double play with 1 out, bases loaded and the tying run is on third. Do your team rag on you? A mistake is not a failure but evidence that someone tried to do something.....Jeter, hats off to the past; coats off to the future

OK' OK JUST WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE GAME MADE A LITTLE BETTER THEN THE PAST. ALL THE UMPIRERS ON ONE PAGE INSTEAD MANY DIFFERENT PAGES. WOULD HELP TOO UNDERSTAND