BASA, It's Like A Family Reunion Every Weekend!

468x60 Faster Easier Car 

When Traveling To Your Tournaments, Be Sure To Use Orbitz, a BASA Website Affiliate

Please Post Only BASA Related Tournament Information On The Message Board

BASA, It's Like A Family Reunion Every Weekend!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Signs of Greatness

To Answer your Question E West 34 and keep things rolling, I thought I'd start another post and see if it can catch on!

WB

Offense

- When U step to the plate grown men back up to the edge of the grass. Pitchers, 1st Basemen, and other infielders ask you nicely not to hit it their way. Any 2 ft. space between two defensive players is spot where you might collect yet another basehit on your way to hitting .800+.

There is no single aspect of your offensive game thats not complete: the Swing-Bunt single, backside with authority, to the left/right/thru the pitcher, all four outfield gaps belong to you. The tape measure bomb is your closest friend!!! Bombs to all fields. Homeruns that are being talked about 5-10 years later.

Defense

Teams plan their hitting strategy based on the side of the field you're not on. You make a play so **** good that the opposing team and their fans congratulate you more than your own. If you can't make it the weekend of a big tournament, the whole team decides to stay at home. You field the ball, bobble it and still throw the runner out by 5 steps. Deep shots in the outfield gap and the runner stops at first. It takes four singles to score a single run. The outfield fence is like a ladder that allows you to reach and bring back potential homers.

These are but some of the factors that can make you a legend of the game. To me, being the best centers around what you can do for your team. Can you help a team that was good become the best? Can your presence in the lineup make others BELIEVE? Can you come thru when the pressure's the greatest?

What sacrafices are you willing to make to make your team complete: Leadoff, bat cleanup, bat last? Being the best infielder on the team, yet you move to the outfield to win. Stitting down when you are cold and letting other step up. Nurturing young talent and helping it develop. Believing in the guys in front, and most importantly behind you.

Your actions on and off the field is your ticket to greatness. If one overshadows the other, you accomplishments will come with but(s)........Balance being a great softball player, with a good friend, husband/father/significant other, and most importantly a good teammate, the accolades will come.

WB #24

Re: Signs of Greatness

That was real nice!!

The Question was: How do you measure THE GREAT ONES! What does it take for u to be put in the convo as the best?

My answer is up above. Smallz, Big Swol, Wolf, Hot Rod, Church, and others. Help a brother answer a question.

Big Al,

What do you Think makes a player great?

WB

WB That is very good.
From what I know that sounds like you.

1. Do they make others around them better.

2. Practice what they preach.

3. No I !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Are they humble.

5. How are they off the field.

6. Do there teammates enjoy them.

7. WORK ETHIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!

What Up Lo,

Congrats on your successful start with Class Act. Lil Birdies are chirping about a new FLA addition to the Class Act family. Care to elaborate or is it still a secret?

WB

Well WBrown.....I will be following you all around this year to get some tips on my offense and field strategy.....Although we will be playing the same time you guys but the time we are away from the field....is when I will appreciate the knowledge you can bestow upon me!!!!1
South Ga Magic!!!!!!1
A Great playa is a person who leads by example.....i don't care if he has the highest batting average or is the best playa on his team but he just come to work and play hard and give 110%!!!!!1

What Up 14,

Nahh!! It ain't me. It's a collection of what I think makes a person be remembered and mentioned with the best of the game.

I've often give my take on the best: Earl "Squirrel" Bryant, Smallz, J.B. Jennings of Prime Time,.... I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut, no pun intended.

I'm just GONNA play the game that I LOVE AS LONG AS I CAN.

WB

#15,

If you want some knowledge from me then you'd better be an earlybird. Me and Reggie Brown are the 1st to bed and the 1st @ the park. We hit at 7:30 - 8:00 a.m. long before most of our teammates have rolled over. You know the number see you Sat. morning in Aikens out in the front parking lot grass.

WB

WB, I hope you don't mind me using excerpts from this post for my web site. That very motivational and well said. To me he or she sets the tone quietly. he expects no props for his accolades, just goes out and gets the job done. Kenny Keys #3(RIP) came immediately to mind when I read this post. That brother possessed every tool imaginable and willed his teams to victory. Great Post.

WBrown what's up?
Ray told me you said holler at you.
I tried the other day. 0786 are those the last four digits?

Wolf is another that comes to mind.

In no particular order:

1.Team Playa
2.Leadership
3.Attitude
4."5" tool playa
5.Ability to "rise under pressure"

ESQ #23

Feel free to use the words as you see fit. I must also agree with you on Kenny Key representing alot of those qualities. Kenny took cuts in "meal monies" to be surrounded by better players. Key was one of the 1st to the field and one of the last to leave. Hey gave freely his time, knowledge, money, and friendship.

As I reread, my post I did see a lot of Kenny in those words.

And if you took this post even further and looked at it from a coaching standpoint, I'm sure Mr. Rick & Arnitha of Prime Time, 1-9, Ian Houston, Slaugther, Owens, Gene Williams, and Carlos Gray of Graystone would be all considered GREAT!!

This is a great topic and you will always get a lot of different answers because we all don't value the same thing. In sports today, players are judged by championships and rings. I think that should be only a fraction of the total picture. It's like othjer folks mentioned already, what is he or she work ethic? Do they put the team first? Are they leading by example? Do they make teammates better? Are you pulling the young pups off to the side and teaching them the game of softball and the game of life. The vteran guys that have been around that are succeeding at softball and off the field, that's what I'm talking about. I encounter a lot of young guys that I talk to, I guess you could say mentor. I'm telling them about paying bills on time, paying off credit cards, saving money, investing money, and taking care of the wife and the kids. I didn't mean to get long winded. I think great players are also ambassadors of the game. In closing, I think great players are defined by what they do on and off the field. There are definately some great ballplayers in the BASA!!!

WB give me a call. Lost all my numbers again.

WB14 it took a legend to get the ball rolling w/ this one, so I thank u very much! I wanted to see what you all had to say and what some of your measuring sticks were for greatness. These mentioned are the kinds of guys I value being around me on a team, in a tourney (so I can watch) and hanging with after the smoke clears. I will be glad to be a part of BASA and cannot wait to meet all of ya!

I'll be there 8:00am waiting for ya'll to show up!!!!!1

Mr.Brown,derrty i was way off track of a person i would figure you out to be.What i mean is meeting you for tha first time was entertaining and fun. You know how to have a great time but at tha same time leave tha DJING to someone else!!lolololol I to believe in going into a tournament with tha attitude of doing what we practice during tha week.Tha game is 75%mental,25%physical 100% desire of passion for this game..People will say different but i can only go by whats helped me for tha past 7 years with 4rings.Leaders lead by leading and not by talking.Players play harder bcuzz they want to lead!!! ONE-VISION ONE-HEARTBEAT!!!! You can't do anything if your not together no way no how!!!!

Aman!

Yo 2 all that replied to this post and you R all right on point!!! WB keep being ambassador for BASA and WOLF keep leading on the dirt and not taking preparation lightly, and a being tru team player. To all players thanks for your input!!! If you have any more tips or advise hit our website www.leaguelineup.com/indyforce and drop the knowledge in our guest book. Terminator out!!!!

WB!! That was very weel said.Let's me know that I have just a few more things that I have to work on.

Good Luck in Aiken this weekend. D.O.

Well said Wolf, Big Al and others. I thought this would be a fun, yet thought provoking post. I'm still waiting on some other big name players to give E West #34 their thoughts.

Wolf, I promise to leave the Dj'ing to paid professionals. Just trying to help 911 and the Hot Girls make the draft an enjoyable experience for all.

D.O. give me a call when you get a chance.

(850) 443-0786

Gotta add my boy Rey into that mix of players that will you to win in a quiet business like approach. He is practically unknown on the circuit but will make a big splash this season.

Vic, the stuff came in, I'll be at Toby's at 7.

I'll agree with you about Rey, he's going to be a great one.