BASA, It's Like A Family Reunion Every Weekend!

468x60 Faster Easier Car 

When Traveling To Your Tournaments, Be Sure To Use Orbitz, a BASA Website Affiliate

Please Post Only BASA Related Tournament Information On The Message Board

BASA, It's Like A Family Reunion Every Weekend!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thoughts on hitting the middle?

We played in a tournament this past weekend and this pitcher was hit in the face by a ball coming off the Jeff Hall red Mayhem. Those white cats were using .44 core balls but they were 525lb compression. They were rocks.

I hear the guy might lose his eye behing that incident too.

How many of you hit the middle on purpose?

Re: Thoughts on hitting the middle?

As a pitcher I ALWAYS prepare for being hit at,whether it's on purpose or by mistake,the middle is part of the game,but there is a way to hit the middle,without trying to do severe bodily harm (ankle shots,glove side,hand side)..

I also feel you have to protect your pitcher,if a Team is hitting the middle "often" then you have to return "fire",but to intentionally go up and try and do bodily harm to someone is crazy and there are guys that do it and they do have bat control.

I think most pitchers would agree that we know when someone is intent on hitting at us,but it all goes back to you have to protect yourself as much as you can,ie head gear,shin guards,cups,bullet proof vests,etc..

Now 502 do you really think someone is going to step up and say they hit the middle on purpose - surely you just making conversation. Like D12 said most of the time you know. You know a hitter, you figure out those that have no bat control and you know when you fire the pitcher up on the other team, your pitcher has to take his turn. Guys especially those who hurt someone always say, they didnt mean to. And those who mean to are not going to say it, you see it in their face and in their actions.

I'm also a pitcher that knows it's a good chance that the ball might come back up at you. I know when someone is trying to have target practice. The 1st time I look at it as a mistake. 2nd time you are trying to do it. 3rd time It's YO A**.......This is a game for FUN and most players have a Family, Job, Children and a Life. So let's Learn to control our bats and enjoy the game the way we know how to play. If you are that good go to the MLB (Major League Baseball)and get paid the big bucks to hit back at someone.

Hitting the middle is definately part of the game, and there are people out there who can hit good up there on angles and cause no threat to the pitchers and are still able to hit it hard up there, but there is some people who hit up there with malicious intent, and those people I have no respect for, I have hit the middle hard and even hit a pitcher or two, and when that happens I dont even run hard to first and apologize all the way there, if I hit the middle it is trying to hit it too far and miss hit it down, or protecting my pitcher, but I dont understand when people hit a pitcher and say I didnt mean to hurt them, but are using shaved bats or painted ultra's, you may not intend to kill the guy, but your intent is to hit a un-fieldable ball at an unprotected guy with illegal equipment, I think that if you hit and hurt a pitcher, and are found to be swinging something illegal or altered you should be prosecuted for assault, my opininion, we take too many risk traveling to and from tournaments to be killed on the field......

Last year in the first tourney we played in, a certain player hit the ball up the middle every time at bat. I figured it was normal for her to hit that way, so I prepared and protected myself the best way I could. Even if I had to run toward second base to get some distance, but when I heard her make the comment that she missed the middle the last time at bat, after she flew out, it makes you wonder. In future tournaments against this player I pitched her way inside, I didn't care if I walked her or not. Being the type of player she was, she would chase bad pitches and fly out. She played for several different teams and the last couple of tournaments she did'nt get a hit against us, whether she was in slump or what. Pictures can tell when someone is hitting at them on purpose.

...I've taken many,many,many....... 's up the middle thru the years.....and I'm talking 50 core ,and maybe that help me out 2day....but my thing is "I WILL HIT THE MIDDLE".... ...it's ways around to get on.....some shot's are not where you think......but I TRUST NO ONE in this game...so I'm always on HIGH ALERT.....like I said those that get hit in the face.......WAS FOCUSED ON SOMETHING ELSE....this is a position, that you can't be tooo relaxed....are you will get up......but I do recommend SHIN GUARD's......but I still say just stay alert at all times.....take from somebody who knows......"CHURCH" .....OOOOOWWEEEE I got some REAL TALK coming.......2'S DAY is 2day

Church, I have ran, jumped and even ducked to dodge balls I couldn't get my glove to. When someone like KT comes up to hit, I put my cleats in reverse. If I get my glove on it, well you know the rest.

My opinion is that depending on the game situation, most peole hit the ball where it is pitched, at least I do. I occasionally pitch at our batting practice, and have been beat up by my own teamates,and not on purpose, but as soon as that ball leaves my hand I can tell if it is a ball that can come back at me, so I get the H**l out of the way. If a players strategy is to hit up the middle,purposely, then i question their sportsman ship and love for the game, becuase I am quite sure they don't want anyone coming ttying to take thier pitcher out....

I am not a pitcher and never will be, but of all the positions out there I respect that one the most. I have occasionally hit the middle totally by accident and have always taken the time to apologize and make sure the pitcher was ok. I think that players that hit back at the pitcher on purpose are a disgrace to their team, the game, and more importantly themselves. What pleasure could there possibly be in getting on base by injuring another player?

For all the 'steriodial induce procrutean gestapo's' with fabricated $400 dollar bats__ STAY OUT THE MIDDLE!

When you get mad__the '325'ft mark is All yours!

Then too...for all the 'magniloquent pitchers' that want to clown and dance ....please invest in some equipment, ie; face mask, shin guards...etc.

ebonically brilliant and provocative_____________

super d(motordetroit)

i'm a middle, right hitter and everyone knows this. i can recall hitting up the middle everytime at bat because the other team had at least 5 batters hit the middle in a row until they finally hit our pitcher and celebrated about it. what was even more shocking was that the pitcher was in the middle of the celebration. if this is who i think it is, you know who i am and it's no hard feelings, i just didn't appreciate it because i pitch also and you know we have to protect our own... new year and i promise not to hit at you when we meet again this year.

....SUPER D.....I will continue 2 just make sure you get on and Always remember there is someone behind me...2 pick -up the Batted DOWN ball.....don't make the HIGH LIGHTS and .........KARMA!! "REAL TALK"

I am aware that the middle is a part of the game, but I refuse to shoot it. I've seen people get hit in the head, and it's not just the ones who were sleeping on the mound...these were people who take pride in there defensive prowess and just got clocked with something they didn't see. Some people shoot the middle with cruel intentions. I have never understood that especially with the bats we use today. I agree with the Brother that said, "If you kill someone you should be prosecuted."

'Church'__Why do (you) pitchers think that dancing and clowning make a difference? It's all about placement of the ball__right? Besides it throws the timing of the fielders off!

I'd rather have a pitcher that can throw consistent strikes and place balls when needed, other than one that can do the 'boogaloo'

I tried pitching once, and 'cursed-out' the 'ump' and he thru me out the park!! nuff said, my pitcher career was history.

Nevertheless, what up doe! to all my Detroit Pitchers...

'Jeter69'
'Stan the Man'
'Sonnie'(the worst pitcher ever!)
'Low Pocket'
'hammertime'

super d(motordetroit)

Super D you crazy ,but I don't fake all the time...deception....do the opposite....everyone doesn't get the same???!!!??/? , Pitcher's know what I mean....it's a UNION secret......

Aww shucks, Super D is at it again! This pitcher I used to play against used to do all that BS and he used to have people so ticked off, they'd be ready to take his head off and pop the "f" out most of the time. I have since learned some patience, stop watching Church and others do the darn "matrix" and concentrate solely on that ball!

It's part of tha game.If you feel like it's on purpose than do what you do in-order of returning tha message.All pitchers live by a code and if you don't no tha code than your not a true pitcher yet,and that's not a disresptful statement either!

'E West 34', I don't care if pitchers do the 'matrix, 'windmill', 'electric slide', 'hustle',or any other pertie prima dona dance! __ I like the corners anyway!....Then too, when I retaliate at a pitcher.....since I usually play the 'ss' position, I wait patiently until he grounds to me or he reaches grass, when I get the cut-off----well lets just say---- the ball might slightly be over thrown to the base/or space he occupies.

'Church' __ that's a infielders union secret!

get-back is a 'mofo'

ebonically brilliant and provocative__________

super d(motordetroit)

Tha best code is tha slipping of tha bat to tha other teams dugout or right back at tha pitcher!!

...SUPER D....I played SS too...and I know that code too ...but if you hit me with that ball....on purpose...then here's another CODE from the STL HOOD WESTSIDE..... ....and .....that's real talk.....

I'll have to remember that code (slipping of bat) that's pretty good..

man you guys are tripping. with all these threats and ways to get back at people. this is softball right. i know that i want to leave the field the same way i came on smiling and healthy. thank you guys for letting me in on all these codes. my code is speak softly and carry a big stick. if i am struggling i will hit the middle but it will be to your left or right shin high and definitely not right at you. i would rather make an out than hurt anyone. unless the other team starts trying to hurt one of my boys. then i am coming right at you and either you catch or wear it. and i havent seen many that can catch. the same way i did in Cartersville. D12 I always got you back whether i let you know or not.

Thats good to know,that when you're out there battling your Teammates have your back

It's not threats.....WE feel this way for REAL.....Pitchers have an Oath a CODE.....just like a cop in uniform..... .....and I have some (gangster's)....that have my back on DERRTY.....and each pitcher always have a plan....in the making...so keep doing what you do.....it's KARMA!!

Man to heck w/ all that Church! Truth is, people shouldn't be hitting up the middle trying to hurt someone w/ these d@mn bats that are being made. BUT, if someone is steadily hitting at your pitcher like that, then teammates have to be teammates and well u know! Like he said, it's karma!

'Church', I'm not out there to hurt anybody--because it's all about 'Black brotherhood. I understand this is just a game, and entertainment for most of us.

Man! 'Hip-Hop' has got ever city thinking they are 'gangsta'__ Maybe cities like St.Louis, Memphis, Atlanta, Louisville, Cinncinati, have to prove a point to get a 'rep'__but we all know the original gangsta's are from Detroit and Chicago!

'Gishna-whatcha-wishna' 30-30 'Gishna Flynns' what up doe!

ebonically brilliant and provocative___________

super d(motordetroit)

...but...there would be No CHI-TOWN or Detroit....if it didn't start in the SOUTH....welcome to the FREE LAND ...now put that in your SUPER "D" dictionary........."CHURCH"

'Church' true dat'__ the seed of my 'peeps' are from Tennessee and Mississippi.....I give much love to the South! Then too, True Gangsterism ain't all about kicking ass__ it's about Black Men supporting Black Men___ 'neo-modern-gangsterism' if you will.

The true gangsters are the 'brothas' that fight against the forces of white-supremacy, self-destruction and juvenocracy......We are all from the South...the Big South, that is.....the Motherland of them all...AFRICA!

Peace out 'church', maybe I'll see ya' on the circut---just remember, I like my pitches high and short.

ebonically brilliant and provocative______________

super d(motordetroit)

The true gangsters are the 'brothas' that fight against the forces of white-supremacy, self-destruction and juvenocracy......We are all from the South...the Big South, that is.....the Motherland of them all...

COME ON... just do your thing and zip it. Man, you wonder why some get bad raps.its cuzz they want em

I remember when hitting the middle was a no-no, especially in competitive, a few years back there was a team from Alabama that hit 3or4 balls at the pitcher from Jabalis(from Derby City)in the first inning and the coach called time and said "hey keep the ball off my pitcher" and the next guy to the plate hit back up the middle and jabalis pitcher said middle open, and man it was on, jabalis got them out and man started hitting rockets through the middel, like 6or7 straight, and their pitcher called time and turned to his team and said and I quote "keep the ball off the middle before they kill me" and that squashed all that middle feeding crap and they hit for 35 minutes, just fired them up I guess, but anyway, mostly guys who dont pitch hits the middle and you can do what you want but you have a pitcher too, protect your pitcher but dont be instigating and put him in trouble.

You talking about hitting the middle..At the Super Draft this weekend in our 4th game at night,this Team started "hitting the middle",I'm talking about "seeds" and guess who started it? the pitcher..lol..but I can tell you this when I sent my "seed" back thru there,that pitcher never came back up the miidle (his Teammates didnt stop)

It's one thing to hit the middle when HR's are gone,but when you still have 4-5 HR's and you are intentionally "hitting the middle" because you don't like how a pitcher is pitching and dark,poor lighting,give me a break..but like I stated earlier,I can send them thru also..I practice "hitting the middle" just for situations like at the Draft..

I'm thankful that my reflex time is still pretty good,I had a few and also did some also made some catches that otherwise could have caused some injury..also want to say in this particular game and field there were 2 rubbers and I could pitch anywhere in between,that was great..ok,I'm rambling now..

sorry D12 i told the guys to cut that out but they are grown men. of coarse i was not going to hit the middle so i pulled and went backside for an out. yeah my teammate messed up my roll. before facing you i had real off 13 or 14 straight hits. thanks teammate for all the faking too. you know that you were suppose to serve that thing up to me.

It's all good..I didn't get hurt,so I'm OK..trust me,I was trying not to leave pitches out over the plate..I knew u and smooth would not hit the middle..u can't put your Teammate out of commission b4 the season starts..lol..

I PITCH AND I ALWAYS TELL YOU WE'ER PLAYING BY MY RULES DON'T HIT IT AT ME. I CAN PICK WHERE I WANT TO HIT YOU. IF IT'S NOT IMPORTANT TO THE TEAM THAT I GET ON BASE IT'S COMING SOOOON THAT'S WHY I PITCH. PLUS IT'S FUN TO MAKE BATTERS CUSSS AT THEMSELF. HATE THE TEAMS THAT GET 10 RUN LEADS THEN START THAT S----.BUT IF YOU PLAY ON THE WHITE MIGHT AS WELL START OUT HITTING IT THAY DON'T CARE.....HAY WOLF STOP SCARING ALL THEM-THERE TEAMS----SUPER..D WHA-UP....CHURCH JUST MOVE

....sometimes you can't move....but .."Betcha can't do it like me"...NOPE!!...

CHURCH I'VE BEEN HIT ONCE IN MY YEARS, HOW MANY YOU OKS IN A YEAR FOR YOU

.....I have some war wounds too....I feel you on that.... ,my shots I take are mainly rubber shots...those the one you get little own...lol

It's nice to hear that teams are willing to go out and protect their pitcher, I wish I was playing with one of them. My teammates didnt like to hit up the middle because they knew the person pitching or they didn't want to hurt them. It didn't matter how many shots came back at me, they wouldn't return the favor. They always found it to be funny watching me run from some of the balls being hit at me. there were some balls that I could have gotten to, but I let them go by on purpose to see if the middle could get to them. If you have to hit the middle to protect yours, more power to you. LOL

Some advice to you D3..You have to learn to "cover your a$$"..practice hitting the middle in BP,trust me it helps that way the opposing pitcher will feel your wrath and stop his/her Teammates from hitting the middle..

LISTEN D3 UMPIRES SEEM LIKE THEY DON'T WANT TO CALL A BATTER OUT.YOU DO YOUR JOB BUT THEY DON'T WHEN YOU GET HIT >>>>>>it HARD TO STAND THERE KNOWING THAT SHOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED. CHURCH ????? WOULD YOU PLAY ON HIS TEAM NOT ME. TAKE TWO OUTFIELDERS PUT THEM BEHIND THE PITCHER CAUSE THE TEAMS COMING...

Thanx you guys! It's hard to paractice hitting up the middle when your hitting at your coach or another player on your team. I guess this should be done in the batting cage? I try to do my job pitching and not talking or dancing. Being that close to the bat can get you killed when you **** another hitter off.

'Jeter 69', if you would stop throwing that wicked curve ball, people would stop trying to hit you!

Besides 'Jeter 69' when you have a shortstop like moi' you don't have to worry about the enemy shooting the middle

Then too 'Jeter 69' if you stop slavering and slobbering whenever a young sista' with a steatopygous rear-end(big booty!) ) walks by, maybe you could get out the way from those hot-shots back thru the middle.

super d(motordetroit)

69Jeter....I would not to be on that team..but I have a solution..... and D3...it's nothing wrong with making a batter ....just remember when they do ....they usually make an out....trying to HIT me....and when they do try and I catch it.... .....you then....have did your job.....but 7 out of 10...3 of them you better .....REAL TALK.....

D3 you have to invest in a pitching screen..If you take the game serious and want to do the things that make you better,then its a good investment for the long run..I go nowhere taking BP without my screen!

Gotcha D12! Thanx for your advice guys

stop crying about hitting the middle. play your position and learn how to pitch and not get hit. im sure that if anyone was playing any other position and the ball was hit hard you would'nt argue with the other team and tell them to stop hitting at you.

hit at me all you want to,and watch your batting average go way down.

ps-and if i don't catch it with my glove i'll tourn around and catch it with my A** so either way it goes you will be out.

42HARD MUST BE A OUTFEILDER I'D LIKE FOR YOU JUST TO PITCH B.P. AND LEARN WHAT IT'S LIKE NOT ONE OR TWO ALL OF THEM.BET EVERY PITCHER CAN PLAY WHERE YOU PLAY AND DO WELL.OOOOHHHHH THAT'S RIGHT THAT WHY YOU PLAY WHERE YOU PLAY.

SEE YOU WANT TO CATCH IT WITH THAT A MUST BE WIDE

Re: Thoughts .on hitting the middle?

to #69jeter....i am not en outfielder,i am a pitcher and my style makes people hit at me alot,but i don't get mad,because i play my position and i also can hit the middle very hard. the only time i hit the middle is when i pitcher hits at me.

just playing my position tight

ps-i am terrible a battle pratice