BASA, It's Like A Family Reunion Every Weekend!

468x60 Faster Easier Car 

When Traveling To Your Tournaments, Be Sure To Use Orbitz, a BASA Website Affiliate

Please Post Only BASA Related Tournament Information On The Message Board

BASA, It's Like A Family Reunion Every Weekend!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
National HIV/AIDS Awareness Day for African Americans

Hello Everyone

I want to inform all of you who reads this board that today is an awareness day for African Americans and the affect that HIV/AIDS has on us.

We are the leaders of this epidemic and of us, African American women top the charts.

Women, please be aware of the fact that we are more susceptible to catching this disease because our vagina is more porous than a penis. Also, please be aware of the "Down Low" phenomena that some African American men are involved in. This is the the leader of how African American women are contracting this disease.

I encourage everyone to get tested and encourage you to talk with your partner(s) to get tested. There are a lot of people who have this disease and are unaware of it.

Re: National HIV/AIDS Awareness Day for African Americans

THANK YOU... MS MILLER, I WORK IN A OB/GYN OFFICE AND ON A DAILY BASIS I SEE FEMALES IN HOROR BECAUSE THEY HAVE HAD UNPROTECTED SEX WITH MALE THAT THEY JUST MEET OR HAVE KNOWN TO BE WITH MORE THEN ONE PARTNER AT ONE TIME. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS KILLER IS OUT THEIR AND IT NOT ONLY HURTS YOU ,BUT YOUR FAMILY ALSO. PLEASE GET TESTED AND KEEP A PEACE OF MIND. MAY GOD BLESS YOU

...so true Ms.Miller....I can truly say I have been tested.......and I'm not carrying nor am I infected...and that's a blessing and I must continue 2 take care of myself and educate the younger generation....Because....though I have rolled the dice in the past...I'm not gambling no time soon....and last test I had was 2mos ago....and I'm clean...."That's a Good Thing".....all I can say control yourself and stay in your right mind....and Know who you lay down with....could cost you later....."CHURCH"

Well, I can say I use my insurance every year and get tested for everything and get my regular checkups.

Hi Concerned and Church

I had a speaker in class today who enlightened me on the stats. It is jaw dropping and sad. The word has to get out. The speaker started to "go to church" but this would have taken all day. He was saying that he tries to encourage church leaders to speak up about this disease as well.
Church, thanks for sharing that and being real about it. Hopefully it will help others to more realistic about themselves and treating themselves better.

Should the church be more involved with HIV/AIDS awareness in the community?

...it should and should not.....

Thank you for letting us know and keeping our awareness up Ms. Miller.

'Ms. Miller'__ I agree with the seriousness and near epidemic porportion of AIDS in our community. However I have to disagree on your insertion of what you call,'The Down low phenomenon'. Your reference is based on what?---Based on a un-scientific experiment of a homosexual author in the book, "Down Low"?---Is it based on the sensationalistic media/or the Neilson ratings sweep week racist talk show circut that continues to perpectuate this rumor?

There is a phenomenon in our community that is causitive for the rise of homosexuality, androphilia, lesbianism, and bi-sexuality and that is the insidious phenomenom of single parent households and the incredible high Black Male jail population__ just to name a few issues.

Our men and women are dealing with an 'unnatural order' due to the vicious ideology and pratice of white supremacy. When we are reminded of the destruction to family units, culture, intellect, spiritual concepts, human degredation, and the centuries of terrorism against our people, there is no other way to understand these conditions except as persistent life-threatening and self-destructive conditions.

I mentioned in a similiar thread__we need leaders--neither saints nor dazzleling televison personalities, who can situate themselves within a larger historical narrative of this country and our world, who can grasp the complex dynamics of our peoplehood. Let us pray that the vast intelligencia of our community will not fail us---and lead us out of the fire that we currently find our villages in.

super d(motordetroit)

super d...
honestly, i never read that book. but i am a social worker and am aware of many incidents of the "down low" behavior.

like i stated earlier, i had a guest speaker in my class today to informed us about the current and most popular ways that african american females are infected.

all i am saying is to not ignore that the "down low" situation is going on.