BASA, It's Like A Family Reunion Every Weekend!

468x60 Faster Easier Car 

When Traveling To Your Tournaments, Be Sure To Use Orbitz, a BASA Website Affiliate

Please Post Only BASA Related Tournament Information On The Message Board

BASA, It's Like A Family Reunion Every Weekend!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The future of slowpitch

Why is it that professional sports all have drafts? The reason is so that each team will have a fair chance to get better. That is not the case with slowpitch softball. Each year the same teams dominate the super rec division. Why won't someone make these teams move up? There are less than ten major softball teams on the circuit. A lot of the times, the upper division won't make due to the lack of teams. Every year we overlook the problem. The BASA needs to make it mandatory for teams such as Gray Stone, Atlanta Storm, and several other teams to play upper. This allows other teams to have something to look forward to. Each year at the world, most people already know the outcome. The same three teams tend to dominate every year. I guess every one else will just have to wait until these players become inelgible or too old to see any changes.

Re: The future of slowpitch

you must be drinking jim beam as well!! upper only plays 3 to four times a year, who is going to go through the expense of having to travel across country to play in a softball tournament. the upper is dying. you may as well let those teams in the upper play super-rec and call it a day. those teams in super-rec that don't feel like they have anything to look forward to can drop back down to rec. you have to cater to the majority. upper is not where its at!

true...i feel like that just going to a tourney and seeing the comp. have only 5 teams playing.....thats like saying hey why come to the tourney to play maybe 3 games. I try it should be tried with three or four touenements just to see how it works out...thats why I propose a ranking system within BASA and then all 5 or 8 top teams play in a tournement just to see how it would work....my opinion!!!!!1

It's not dying because of the caliber of play, it's dying because teams need to move up. I played competitive, and I know for a fact it is the best level of play available on this circuit. What people don't realize is the first Black World Tourney, which was held in Cleveland in 88 was all competitive. Rec came along later out of necessity for all teams to compete. Super Rec was spawned for the exact same reason, but it has slowly killed the mainstay of our Circuit. Just like politics we need checks and balances, if you are a team that crushes your competition maybe it's time for you to step up and be challenged. I personally don't get anything out of killing teams on any level. Competition is the essence of this game.

From my standpoint the thing that is reducing competitive participation in the worlds and other BASA tournaments, is the fact that most Competitive teams are made up of 5 to 6 really big hitters, a great middle infield combination, a good pitcher and one really great outfielder that tracks every thing hit inside the park, the fielders are not hard to find, it is the big hitters that force teams to sit it out for the worlds for competitive division or go down to super rec, not saying that there are not big hitters in other divisions, but there is not too many, Swoles, Larry Carters, or whoever in Rec and Super rec, so no disrespect to those players in those divisions, but the WSL is taking away alot of the big hitters, I know that my team went to B'Ham half cocked because 3 of our big hitters didnt make it to the tournament because of prior or upcoming travel for WSL tournaments, now granted, they could have showed more loyalty, but big hitters are looking for bigger things I guess, so I am no longer looking for a team on the basa circuit, but I do think I have found a new family on the basa circuit and that is much more solid than any team I have ever been on, good luck to every family on the Basa circuit for 06'

I guess when you really look at softball on the black circuit, the best teams should compete with teams that are on their level. Nobody wants to watch a game where you can predict the outcome due to the strength of the team. There are some teams in Super Rec that are dominant. These teams could compete in the major division and bring so much competiveness to that division. For example, Gray stone could compete with Pace, GodFather, and any other team that is considered a major team. How long will BASA allow these teams to sandbag and continue to brag about their dominance?

Softball is steadily going through changes and one main reasons is the technology. The competitive division is dying due to technology and organizations not changing or adapting rules to these changes.

When there was just competitive and rec, there was enough competition in each division and on any given weekend, anyone could win. With the creation of super rec, the competitive division took the toughest blow.

To bring back the competitive division, I think changing the homeruns would be a start. For example, competitive would stay at 10 hrs, super rec 3 and rec 0. Then teams could not sandbag to the middle division and the pressure of 3 hrs would make them move up. I must admit there are about 5 teams playing super rec that could compete consistantly in the competitive division. However, it's a hell of a lot more fun to play eight games a weekend than to play 3.

Remember, this is just my opinion!

Good luck to everyone participating in BASA in the 06.

To fan of the game, you make some valid points but I have to take you to task on one thing. Why is that noone thinks the home runs in the competative division should be reduced? I'm not saying you've done this but, I see competative player after competative player get on this board and boast about how good they are and how they smash all the little scared Super Rec teams that are hiding in the lower division but noone wants to adjust the home run limit. If you (they) are really that good, couldn't you (they) play with a few less home runs? All of the proposals I've seen have the super rec teams moving up to play by competative rules, to me, it should be the opposite. Our division (super rec) is the one flourishing, yours (competative) is dying off, if you come in our division you play by our rules simple as that. You all shouldn't have any problems being the softball Gods that you are. NOT! If you want to make sure everyone is where they should be, make 2 divisions, a 2 home run division and a 6 home run divsion and let the chips fall where they may. Otherwise leave it alone and let the big boys play home run derby which is all a 10 home run tournament is. I guarantee there are more pop up outs than line drive or ground ball outs up there, I know, I've played it before.

Personally,I think after the "WORLDS" the top 3 Teams should be moved up in each Division.

Secondly you can have the HR's adjusted 8 Major 3 Super Rec 0 Rec..That way the Teams won't drop down (sandbag)..

Lastly,there should be guidelines on how many "Major", "Super Rec" or "Rec" players you have on your Team,that will determmine what "Class" your Team plays.Just a few of my opinions..

the number of homeruns only defines the class your team is not the quality of the ball players. there are some major players that should be on rec teams and some rec players that can play on any major team. the higher up you play...the more it is about politics and who you know. guys want to play! all of those competative players from years ago on the 20 - 30 different teams are still playing in the basa now. being classified as competative is just a title that will have you sitting around waiting to play, especially on the basa circuit.

what do u suggeast player? These are "only" opinions

i suggest letting the competative guys play in the super-rec and going to 6 homeruns. super-rec is growing and you can go ahead and add those few competative teams to it. that's my opinion on it.

sounds good player

D12 I agree with that..Then maybe all the top teams would consider playing in that Division..Such as
Atlanta Storm,Class Act, Air Mac, Greystone, BarBQue,Perris Sat,Detroit Mavericks and etc..

Major 8 hr's
Comp 3 hr's
Rec 0 hr's

I agree that there are not enough competitive teams participation on the BASA Circuit and that something needs to change so that the few that are left, are not always left out of good tournaments in good cities to play in, I would like to see competitive teams be invited to play in Super-Rec tournaments and when a Super-Rec team plays against a Competitive team they have a 6hr+1up rule up to 10hrs to be hit before they become outs, I know that people will trouble shoot this suggestion but it is my opinion, also I wouldnt change rec division because that is where the Money is as far as total number of teams that play in the tournaments, why change a 100 team division to please a 5 team division or a 40 team division............

NO WE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO HIT AT LEAST 3 HOMERUNS. DOING AWAY WITH THE 3 HOMERUN RULE WILL ONLY STIRR UP THE REC TEAMS AND I MEAN THE REAL REC TEAMS!!!!! THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE REC SO WHY CHANGE SOMETHING THAT ISNT BROKE. YOU MACHO COMP AND SUPER REC TEAMS GO AHEAD BACK AND FORTH BUT LEAVE THE REC OUT OF IT

its not all about levels for good ness sake it SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL everybody can hit or should know how too so who cares what happens in rec i am in rec and i cant wait to i move up to comp and super rec i am only 22 smash out

Excellent point 'rec player'__ tha' fact be, if ya' take away the steroidal compounds, components, and scientifically sciateic war clubs, most of those over-sized amorphous dinosaurs would'nt be playing A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G close to 'baseball. __Then to, I guest that's the beauty of "BIG TIME" softball...yeah right!__rec is fine__ work on the pretentious mess call competitive 'goofer ball' __________later ya'll___ebonically profound and brilliantly sophisticated......

super d(motordetroit)

in my opinion this would make it fair
rec- 2 homeruns
super rec- 4 homeruns
comp- 6 homeruns

If it wasn't for Rec there wouldn't be a Super Rec or Comp. each Div needs each other.Think about It Black Softball is not going anywhere(BUT UP)The last time I checked the pitcher throws the ball underhand anybody can hit an HR now, I think by adding a another Rec div might help. A lower class with no Hrs,everyone knows there are teams that will never see sunday and if the tourny not a NIT it will be noon. Last year Basa started off good with the point system and then no more updates, They should really look into that this season.

Good Luck All 06