BASA, It's Like A Family Reunion Every Weekend!

468x60 Faster Easier Car 

When Traveling To Your Tournaments, Be Sure To Use Orbitz, a BASA Website Affiliate

Please Post Only BASA Related Tournament Information On The Message Board

BASA, It's Like A Family Reunion Every Weekend!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BLACK COACHES

Does anyone know if any black coaches have been interviewed for all the coaching vacancies in the nfl, and if so which teams did the interview? There is a rule about interviewing black coaches. My other question what is the penalty for not, from what i know its just a fine which im sure these wealthy owners have no problem paying.

Re: BLACK COACHES

I haven't heard on any black coaches getting a look and that's all it is I believe just a fine.

that just makes the nfl look like a joke. i think them loosing a 2nd day drat pick will open some eyes. I guess some owners are not seeing what herman edwards, marvin lewis, and lovie smith are doing with their teams

Art shell was interviewed by the raiders again, and from what I understand he dont have a chance to get that if the offensive coordinator for pittsburgh wants that job, but he did interview again with Oakland so that is one team who doesnt want a fine.

We do not have many ready to take over as HC at this time. How many blacks are over the Offense/Defense. Not many at this time.

i know houston did not st.lou did not as well and i dont think minn did either

You know that was just to save face. he has coached their twice I think so he wasn't even in the running. That interview should not even count. They know all about him and he knows them so what was the point.

There are some good black college coaches out there that they could talk to.

Does dick Jarun have a new job........Thats what the NFL do they recycle these old white coaches and for what.....They didn't win the first ten years in the league....what make you think they will win Now!!!!!1
PS Hopefully they will hire another one or two....Look at the winning % or black coaches in the league vs. the winning % of white coaches!!!!!1

Yea that buster just got hired by the bills I believe. They could have keep the same coach if that was the best they could come up with.

#15 you hit it right on the nose many of the new coaches that are beaing hired are the same ones who were just fired. and to the comment about black coaches there are plenty of black coaches who are ready. for example the wide reciever coach for the bengals, and there are a number of good coaches in the black colleges who dont get reconized because they are coaching big white colleges

The problem is A-typical of successful blacks. Of the 6 Black coaches in the NFL there are a possible 12 coordinator positions. Only 2 are manned by blacks Ron Meeks(Def.Indy) and M. Carthon(Off. Clev) We all know that coordinators are the first to get head coaching jobs. So why aren't the Black coaches hiring black coordinators. After all they should know there plight.

Good point DM18 maybe it's that er uhmmm.....Willie Lynch Syndrom

DM#18,

You hit the nail on the coffin. We have to help ourselves sometimes. I commend the VP of personnel of Jax, former NFL QB James Harris, 3 black QB's on the roster. Not one from a top 30 college program. He knows how hard it is to catch a break.

These GM's are not going to hire to many postion coaches. I feel that there has bee a hidden agenda for years as far as Black Head Coachs are concerned. Lets think, the guy who got the job in Buffalo was not that good in his last head coaching job, thats why he got fired then. Why not hire Art Shell. I still can not figure out why his name never comes up. HMMMMMMMMM

Actually they're plenty of black positon coaches,far less coordinators but If you're a black coordinator and you finally get a head job but the owner tells you, you cant hire your own coordinators do you take the job anyway? Art Shell's problem……he's no stinking Uncle Tom.

I'm a head coach and there is no way someone is going to dictate who is on my satff.

STAFF.

Would you quit if you're Principle or President or GM told you had to fire one of your hand picked staff for one of his hand picked staff. It's a catch 22 we need Black Head Coaches but the NFL owners are crippling them with restrictions. Which is probaly why A.Shell works in the NFL front office.

There has been alot of injustices regaurding minority coaches, and not to mention firing them as well, Art Shell should have been had a new gig, he has a good career coaching record, but he worked for a sorry owner and held to a higher standard, Norv Turner had much more of a chance to turn around a franchise than Art Had, he had a bad season as a coach with bad or hurt players, Turner had several bad season consecitivly and he is finally gone, and Dick Juron was terrible with the bears and if he was so good why did Detroit not hire him from interum head coach to full time head coach, very bad message sent by the NFL

and Mike Sherman...he's one of the worst coaches in the league...he just had Brett Favre...sometimes I understand the need to keep (white) coordinators because they know the playas and the system....explaination....Have you ever went on a job and there was no one there to show you the ropes....of course not...the same with the black coaches and coordinators....sometimes keeping them help you learn alot about the game and the organization you just got hire to run....but in retrospect...whose going to hire a complete staff of African Americans...just so many sterotypes!!!!!1

#15 you are right about the stereo types that black coaches face, because if you didnt know anything about football, you would have sworn that the incident with the Vikings players on that party boat with the strippers, that the coach of those cats was a brotha, since they like to hold the coaches responsible for the actions of the players,