BASA, It's Like A Family Reunion Every Weekend!

468x60 Faster Easier Car 

When Traveling To Your Tournaments, Be Sure To Use Orbitz, a BASA Website Affiliate

Please Post Only BASA Related Tournament Information On The Message Board

BASA, It's Like A Family Reunion Every Weekend!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Top Outfielders

What is the key having a cannon of an arm? I am a "good" outfielder with great range, and great reaction, but no arm. What can I do to develop an above average arm?

Re: Top Outfielders

I'm with you too, what can we do to make arms strong.

yea, I play the middle infield. Got the tools to play ss, but my arm puts me on 2b.

What's up BASA Family!! I feel you, you're not the onlt ones. I have EXCELLENT speed and and will get to allot of balls that most outfielders won't. My arm is accurate but I need that extra zip behind it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

to improve your throwing you should work on throwing like you work on hitting. your throwing machanics is also key. use the four seam grip.

long toss
use weight balls
regular ball
stregthening the shoulders will help
a proper follow thru is also nessesary
use of leg power is key
long toss, long toss, long toss

Also, you should do rotator cuff exercises. I have a great arm but hurt it this summer. Come to find out, all it was is the rotator cuff muscle was stained due to me not doing any exercises to help make or keep it strong. I have surgery on December 20th due to it. I have no major damage. THe best exercise for me were Ive notice a difference in a couple of days was using the rubber bands. THey really work.

thanks....will put in the work this offseason

Oh and another one. Hold a 5 pounds dumb bell, nothing heavier, in front of you and turn it as though you as pouring out water from a cup and slowly raise it up in front of you mid way to shoulder height. Do 3 to 4 sets of about 15 or 20 reps and that helps alot. You will feel the burning in your shoulder area.

Thanks for the advise Donskip and Ball or Fall

Good advice ball or Fall...how do you use the rubber band? I am trying to picture how you are using it. I used one for me foot when I tore my achilles.

my bad you too don wan

you fix it over your door and close it and pull on it in a throwing motion. You can also put it down near the knob and hold and pull towards your chest.

http://www.orthoassociates.com/shoulder1.htm

Go to this website and it will show you exactly what Im talking about with the exercises. I doesnt show the one over the door.

Thanks...I hope this advice doesn't shoot someone you know downnnnnnn

you can use a bucket of sand or rice like major league pictchers. put your hand in and grab a handful twist and release and just keep going over and over. do about 10 sets of 15 reps. kj out.

the band exercises are great. the rotator cuff is make up of very small muscles. so if you lift heavy all the time the larger muscle groups take over the bulk of the reps. after I had my rotator cuff scoped, I started out with 1lb bumb bells and work up. Remember after a season of throwing you are actually stressing and sometimes tearing your muscles so it is very important to rebuild them in the off season.

hint: take a tennis ball cut a slit in it and fill in with pennies then tape the ball completely with athletic tape. I have a 6lb shot put also. there is a "cannon ball" made of rubber. training baseballs of different onces.

GOOD LUCK

training baseballs of different ounces.

sorry

Good looking out Family

Donskip, hey Im having my rotator cuff scoped on the 20th. How long did it take for you to get back to normal?

Thanks, I'm going to work on that.

Is this Gina from Florida?

Ball or Fall: First thing I told my doctor to fix me like I was a major league pitcher and not the average patient. After the surgery I was hitting in two weeks but could not throw for 3 weeks. So I got to do some EHing and then catching when I return to play . Take it slow and do not rush. Listen to your doctor, he should have you doing the Huston exercises and walking the wall with your fingers. I was down a week in a sling and I had a bottle of oxycotin with tubes in my arm to feed it into my system. most people get 3 holes I got 5. When he goes in to scope he will get to see how much damage has been done. The more damage; the holes. If you are so damage that he has to lay you open then you are done for the season. This should have been explained to you already if you have a date. I hope the lady who shaves you is as pretty as the one I had.
In all seriousness, Start slow, light weights to begin.

GOOD LUCK

Well he has already told me there will be around three incissions. The MRI showed that their wasnt anything torn so that was a good thing.

Ball or Fall.
I had surgery last Dec 6 was in PT on the 9th, 3 days a week for 15 weeks..but it helped to regain 95% of my range of motion and quite a bit of my stregnth.. I see you have already been in some PT from the excercises you suggested.
PS.. I was told by my PT that men are "bigger babies" in therapy after this surgery so take your tissue...smile
Best wishes! We will claim that it all works out for you!

Nik, thanks. I have a very low tolerance for pain. Im not going to even lie. I need someone to come take care of me.

Ball or Fall I made a huge mistake in my first post. I could toss the ball in 3 weeks. I could not throw with power for 3 months. I had my surgery after the Black U-trip world a few years back. So by March I ready to go.

Cool, Im just hoping Im ready to go by March. I cant handle not being able to go to Florida this year in January and February but I want to be ready when the circuit is up and going.

That was cute, Ball or Fall!

Yes this is Gina from Fla. the one and only.

You probably dont remember me but this is Chris from Tennessee. Skeeters team mate.

Wassup Chris, yes I remebers you. What going on buddy. That what i'm talking about, this messages board is better then AT&T, it reach out and touch someone .

Whats up Gina. I kind of thought that was you I have been seeing on here but wasnt sure. Did I read it right, its your birthday? If so, happy birthday!

EVERYBODY KNOWN GRAYSTONE HAVE THE BEST OUTFIELDERS,THEY PLAY A FIVE MAN.THE LEFT FIELDER,CAN HIT AND GO GET ANYTHING.THE CENTER FIELDER AKA THE GOAT,CAN FLAT OUT PLAY,ONE OF THE BEST PLAYER IN THE GAME.THE RIGHT FIELDERS,BOTH OF THEM GUYS CAN PLAY,BUT 12 HAVE THE BEST ARM ON THE CIRCUIT.IF YOU THINK THAT YOUR OUTFIELDERS IS BETTER THAN THE BEST OF THE BEST,CALL THEM BOYZ OUT.EASTSIDE PLAYERS,PLEASE DON'T CALL GRAYSTONE OUT,FIRST PLAY A FIVE MAN.PS PLEASE CALL 513...

UnKnown If you were paying attention to what the board discussion was about it wasnt putting one outfield above another. We are talking about execises to help strenghten your arm. If you want to ride one teams back then join the team.

From all the years I spent playing pro baseball, the 1 thing that comes to mind the most is Long Toss! The Latin guys all have cannons 4 arms cause they long toss daily. It builds arm strength, stamina and you have less of a sore arm. Also rotator cuff excercises keep your arm strong and decreases chances of injury. Some people are born with genetics to throw, but you can improve regardless. Mechanics are a must to maintain strength as well as stamina. Start throwing early and build your arm up before the season. Hope this helps.

Lee D, Im having to have rotator cuff surgery next tuesday. They're not going to cut me though. What, other then what they will have me doing, will promote faster recovery?

THIS UNKNOWN GUY SOUNDS LIKE A LITTLE KID.....I BET IT'S SOMEONES CHILD ON THEIR COMPUTER!

I've had the rotator cuff surgery and recovery time has improved. You must be patient and do what is required or you will have set backs. I did pool therapy(which I thought was the best), cuff weight exercises and the elastic band! Also u must stretch religiously. U don't want scar tissue to build up! Although u may feel better in the early stages, don't get impatient and over do it! I'm no Dr. but the Braves physician (Dr. Chandler) did my 1st & the best in the country (Dr. James Andrews) did my 2nd. So, I know a good deal about the shoulder, throwing programs, etc. Hope this helps. Best of Luck!