BASA, It's Like A Family Reunion Every Weekend!

468x60 Faster Easier Car 

When Traveling To Your Tournaments, Be Sure To Use Orbitz, a BASA Website Affiliate

Please Post Only BASA Related Tournament Information On The Message Board

BASA, It's Like A Family Reunion Every Weekend!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hitting tips from the best (Willie Brown, Wolf, etc...)

What are some of the things that you guy's do to make yourself a better hitter. In the off season and during the season?

Re: Hitting tips from the best (Willie Brown, Wolf, etc...)

Sorry Smallz, your included too. From what I have been reading you are you of the best also. Anyone else if you feel that you are a good hitter please respond. Man or woman I aint trippen cause you ladies can hit a ton also.

I can only speak what helps me.Weights are important especially tha legs because there tha strongest part of tha body.What i've learn from Dirk, & tha minor leagues are important fo me to always know. 3d's,5p's & body training tha mind.You don't have to be all big to hit home-runs tha secret is yo leggs & swinging tha bat under water, which means you'r using your whole body as one tool, & tha ball will go farther,& hit much harder. but like i said i can only speak on what's helped me all these years. Everyone is built & see things different from each other. there's alot of great ball players in our circuit & i'm sure they have great ideas also. You train hard during tha winter does'nt mean you'r going to get better sesults, it's all in tha approach on your own skillz of believing you can do it, & you can't teach that!

Wolf who taught you all this Phil Jackson The zen master?

Thanks Wolf! My team is still talking about that bomb you hit against Storm in B-Ham I am trying to be more of an all around hitter so I will be working on my legs.

I must agree with Wolf, in that there are several different ways to approach becoming a better hitter. What works for Wolf, Smallz or myself may not work for you.

You also have to define what type of hitter you'd like to be and work on that. My hitting partner/coach (Reggie Brown who can hit with the best of them crosshanded)usually take a month off and hit continuously until the season starts. He gives me a cardio plan that involves the treadmill and outdoor running. I then workout 3-4 time a week upperbody, back, legs, ...... We pick a target weight and we work toward achieving that by the beginning of the season. We redefine our eating habits really try to be as healthy as possible when not in season.

As far as hitting technique, my swing is mostly predicated on batspeed. I lack the upperbody strength of some of the better hitters, but I make up for it with bat speed. To build up the muscles that can help me maintain my bat speed. I also do 100-200 counter top push up Monday - Friday. I feel as if this keeps my forearms, wrists, and triceps (muscles essential for a quick bat) sharp.

When Reggie and I hit, I mean we hit!!! We hit between 200-300 balls each. we seldomly free swing. We actually take pride in keeping the ball inside the park. We use several hitting drills, my favorite is when you hit a homer, your round is over. It makes you concentrate when hitting.

We pick out areas where hits are available a master them. By the first baseman, to the left & Right of the pitcher, the right/left center gaps, the firstbase/thirdbase lines, and when the time call for it, right up the middle.

This is but a small glimpse into what I do. Do believe me, I don't work as hard as I should. Work, family, and other obligations have cut into preparation time.

WB #24

Thanks WB! I appreciate the info. I will be taking all of this info and apllying it. I want to be one of the best so I am trying to gather as much info as possible. Thanks again

With softball, you'll get out of the game, what you put into it. Softball and baseball have both been good to me. Work hard and people will notice. Good Luck! If I can help more call me (850) 443-0786.

WHAT W. BROWN HAS TOLD YOU IS A SMALL PART OF THE PROGRAM.YOU MUST BE WILLING TO PUT THE TIME IN TO REACH THE YOUR FINAL GOALS. GOALS THAT CAN BE REACH, BUT NOT TO LOW.YOUR COMMITMENT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL THINGS THAT CAN DO.

PS. GIVE ME A CALL IF YOU WANT TO TALK MORE.

REGGI BROWN 850-528-4478

All of these tips from Willie & Wolf are great. Just to add on a few things. If you are from the Midwest as I am (Ohio), you have to take your hitting inside during the cold months. Hit that batting cage. I do not hit the weights anymore but I do a "KILLER" pushup routine every other day and some isometric work for my legs. I hang an old tire up in my garage during the cold months and hit on it. I hit the tire in my preferred hitting zone two sessions, about 50 swings per. Believe it or not, a $2.00 whiffle ball bat is a great training tool for hitting because it trains your muscles to snap the bat through the zone quickly. All you need to do is 25-30 swings a day with the whiffle ball bat. When outside, I try & hit everyday, or every other day. I'll hit about 300-500 balls. You can put cones up or simulate a five-man infield and hit shots thru different holes. Remember to hit to all fields when taking Bp.. Playing "A-AA-Major" ball, we played alot on baseball fields so if you can, hit on a baseball field to guage your hits. A baseball field will truly humble you. Towards the end of practice, for fun, we play homerun derby, just to air it out. 10 swings or 12 pitches, just for fun. Last but not least, have someone tape your Bp sessions. You will learn alot about your swing. Take care & I'm sorry for rambling too much. I can talk hitting all day. Have FUN & HIT IT!!! Peace!!!!!!!
"Chilly-Mac"-#77
Team AH/Easton

excellent topic, i was just gettin ready to post this topic myself.Would also be great if we could getraining tips on fielding,throwing and other aspects of the gaame.I think this type of info can only strengthen the BASA and make the league more competative across the board,keep the info comin.

Personally I use a lot of different techniques and work on hitting almost every day. A couple of things I do include hitting wiffle balls off the tee to all fields to help work on bat control and going where the ball is pitched or where the defense is cheating you. Live hitting as often as possible, batting cages serve up the same pitch each time and can help a batter develop some bad habits. Within batting practice hitting strikes instead of swinging at whatever is pitched to help develop discipline. Also at batting practice place cones (or anything to serve as a barrier, I've used old shoes before) in the 3-4, 5-6 holes and in the pitchers area to try working on hitting locations. Look at yourself swing (with or without the bat) to see what you are doing when you swing. Also weight training and conditioning will always help also. And instead of playing league and trying to hit the ball a mile, work on different things every week (hitting left side, right side, place hitting, etc.)....I aint Wolf or WBrown but know a thing or 2 about hitting....hope this helps.

I am definately not the power hitter these guys are, but to elaborate and share some of knowlege given to me after 6years with the Marlins. Work your hitting muscles. Forearms, triceps, shoulders, back, and legs. I see guys come back with these big chest and think they are going to be this great power hitter. Wrong sport. You don't need you chest in Baseballor Softball. The key is having great bat speed, which is generated from your hitting muscles, loose hands so your direction to the ball is good,strong legs so you can finish the swing, and most importantly great vision because most of your success is from hitting a good a pitch.We tend to get ourselves out more than the pitcher does. Just an approach from a punching judy. Willie Please help me if I left anything out Bolesy would be mad if we did. Call me we need to chat.

I don't have any tips but for me watching WBrown and Rod24Shoppe is a big plus for me cause I get to see 2 lefthander like my self bash the and beat up the rightside and then kill the leftside harder then the right big plus for so me so yall keeping doing what yall doing cause the kid Is watching
Yall little nephew T

I remember one day at practice , he was telling us that victory happens when 10,000 hours of training meet one moment of opportunity!!!#55

WOW thanks for all of the great responses. It's great to know that my brotha's are willing to help people that they don't even know or play with.

Rhod,

I will do. I'll call a little later today.

You covered just about everything Bolsey wanted us lefties to focus on. I must say that when it comes to hitting backside with authority, my Donaldson bros. and two of the best. Holla at you man!!

Great job with Shoppe!! Few remember how you start, but everybody remembers how you finished!! Way to fight thru adversities and finish on top!

WB the other #24

Quick tip for developing bat speed, go get a wiffle ball bat (preferably one that is as long as a real softball bat), take about 30 cuts as hard as you can 2 to 3 times a week. What you are doing is playing a mind game with your hands and other hitting muscles by allowing them to move faster and when you go to pick up a real softball bat, you mind and your hands think you can swing that softball bat as fast & hard as you've swung that wiffle ball bat. Trust! nothing has worked better for me in developing and increasing my bat speed, you'll see a definite improvement in power numbers as well as seeds that will come off of your bat.

Softball4life, do you swing the wiffle ball bat just two - three times a week or do you do sets of two or three. For example two sets of 10? Thanks for the tip

This may be a no brainer, but selecting the right bat is a plus. I have seen guys swinging 28 30 oz bats and no bigger than me (215). Some guys can handle bigger bats, but I prefer the lighter (26oz). I believe it provides better control during your swing. Just a thought..........

Taz

"Chilly-Mac"-#77
what kind of pushup routine do you do?

WHAT UP WILLIE N REGGIE BROWN, ITS YOUR GIRL GEE FROM FLA. THOSE ARE SOME VERY GOOD TIPS FOR MENS, BUT WHAT ABOUT WOMEN, WHAT CAN I DO TO IMPROVE MYSELF ON LEARNING HOW TO PULL THE BALL, i DON'T HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH MY LEGS, i HAVE VERY STRONG LEGS LIKE A HORSE, BUT MY BAT SPEED IS KIND OF SLOW, i CONSTANTLY HIT BACK SIDE ALL DAY WHEN I COME UP TO THE PLATE, THAT GOOD WHEN YOU HAVE A RUNNER ON 1ST AND 2ND, BUT EVERYONE KNOW WHERE I HIT WHEN I COME UP, THAT NOT COOL, I WANT TO CHANGE UP A LITTLE FOR 06. WOLF YOU CAN GIVE ME A LIL TIP TOO

To answer your question, I typically do it in three or 4 sets of 10 two to three times a week. Again its a mind game your playing with your other body parts, much like a sprinter training who runs down hill, they are tricking their legs into moving faster so when they get on level ground they will move faster.

YEAH! WILLIE YOU KNOW I ALWAYS CAN GET SOME HITTING TIPS FROM YOU..I THINK YOU SWOL,AND WOLF CAN HELP ME OUT WITH A LITTLE POWER SWING.I DON'T HAVE THAT MUCH POWER BUT I CAN HIT IT AT LEAST 301..DO YOU GUYS THINK I NEED TO START A LITTLE BIT!!

MAYBE I THINK I WILL STICK TO THE PUNCHING BECAUSE I KNOW IF I START TRYING TO HIT THE BALL AS FAR AS YOU GUYS THEN MY COACH MY PUT ME ON THE BENCH LOOKING LIKE ..

Mr. Brown, Can I get some of those hitting tips? I missed alot of good tournaments this year due to my new job but next year want be so lucky. Hope I can get the ball out of the infield. Talk to you later big dogg!!!

Mel Dash

Pushup Routine For Looking To Improve...

I'll do a simple warm-up routine of 5 sets of 25 reps with a 30 second rest period in between sets. Then I do a pyramid pushup routine which goes like this: You do 1 pushup then get up and walk across a small room touch the wall, come back across the room then get down and do 2 and so forth and so on. You go up as far as you can go then you come back down the pyramid. You will get a great pump because of the blood flow that moves throughout your body by getting up then back down, thus making your body feel heavy. You do not rest when doing pyramid pushups. Some days I will do 5 to 8 sets of 50 pushups with a 60-75 second rest in between. I hope this helps. Also I forgot to leave my number, if you or anyone has any questions. My number is (937) 307-3609. Have fun, set realistic goals, work hard and be the best that you can be. Peace!!!!!!!

I notice alot of good tips from several players. To answer some questions or kill some curiousity. The key to you personal success is going to come from your preparation.Knowing what type of hitter you are is by far the most important. Just because you can hit a homerun doesn't make you a power hitter. Stay within yourself and the type of hitter you are and your success rate will increase.Guys, or girls who spray the ball all over the field like myself ,need to invest in a little league bat and work on 1 hand drills, top and bottom hand to secure your direction to the ball. For up and coming power hitters, I would suggest taking swings in a pool, using a basketball for soft toss, and hella forearm excercises.Hitting is like reading FUNDAMENTAL.

Man,

This is some Awesome Stuff!!! How many of you were wondering what we'd be doing on the message board in the off season? We'll were helping each other!! The free exchange of information, strategies, and ideas will keep us talking all winter long.

Hearing from friends and world-class softball players on how to better your game is priceless. I'd personal like to thank BASA Staff for making this possible.

And I'm truly looking forward to what's to come!

WB #24

Ps. Smallz, you're the BEST at what you do at 170 lbs. I'm waiting on you to bring your game up to the competitive ranks.

Mel Dash- You're the hardest hitter of line drives ever, you need to tell us all how you do it. I've seen 3rd basemen quit after you hit one past them!! Get it together workwise and I'll see you on the circuit in 2006.

Big Mac #77 happy to see you share your wealth of knowledge and experience. I've seen your work and it is a sight to see. I may try to add that pyramid to my off season program.

Rhodney 24- Great words!! You have to know what you game is and play it to the best of your abilities.

Keep this awesome flow of information going!!

WB

great comments great advice. questions dont really know these guys but do any of them bat over.700 for the season. not trying to start anything just curious. if i am going to try some of these things i want to make sure i am taking tips from the best hitters in the game.

After a good lifting session, I like to take dry swings with my weight bat, then a very light bat, and finish with my game bat. In the off season I hit on baseball fields and the first round I hit with my weight bat try to hit solid line drives then go to my game bat. I also take alot of baseball bp with wood bats. I love hitting the tire. Those of you who hit tires, use tires of different weights and sizes. Easton makes a 34" plastic bat that is in the shape of a wood bat. We use it in summer camp and work on whipping it. Good stuff!

Mel Dash stop playing! you could get out of bed on Christmas Day and hit it by a 3rd baseman. I left you a message a week ago. Call Don in Daytona. Dale and I are working on something. Tell Coby hi. My supplies of baseballs are down until March.

W BROWN, AS ME AND YOU HAVE SPOKE ON MANY TIMES BEFORE, OUR SWINGS CARRIED OVER FROM OUR BASEBALL DAYS. WHEN I FIRST STARTED PLAYING SOFTBALL I COULD NOT KEEP THE BALL IN THE PARK BECAUSE OF THE WAY I CUT THE BALL. PLAYING ISA WILL MAKE YOU CHANGE ALOT OF THINGS. I THEN STARTED SWINGING 3 TO 5 DAYS A WEEK 2OO-300 SWINGS WORKING THE MIDDLE AND BACK SIDE, PULLING THE BALL IS A NATURAL THING SO THEIR IS NO NEED TO FOCUS ON THAT. MY MAIN AREA OF CONCENTRATION IS SEEING HOW FAST I COULD GET MY HANDS TO THE BALL WHILE KEEPING MY HANDS AND LOWER BODY RELAXED. I SEE THESE SIMILARITIES IN BOTH YOURS AND RODNEY'S SWING. EVERONE SWING IS DIFFERENT BUT THE MAIN THING IS TO RELAX AND HAVE FUN.

Hey Willie Brown- Thank You For The Great Information!!!

It's a pleasure to share information with other people and definitely learn new things that will help our game improve. We are never too old to learn. I am truly blessed & humbled to be able to play this great game for 27-years. I still feel like a kid when I go out there and play. Hearing great information from all of you men & women on this board keeps me motivated for the next season. Willie I have watched you play and you are definitely one of the best around. I met Reggie a couple of years ago and he's a class act and a great ball player also. I hope we cross paths next year, talk a little softball and the first ice tea is on me. Peace!!!!!!!