BASA, It's Like A Family Reunion Every Weekend!

468x60 Faster Easier Car 

When Traveling To Your Tournaments, Be Sure To Use Orbitz, a BASA Website Affiliate

Please Post Only BASA Related Tournament Information On The Message Board

BASA, It's Like A Family Reunion Every Weekend!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Off-season Training

What are some of the things players do to train for the next season?

Re: Off-season Training

Hit the weights, run to get endurance up, hit at the indoor cages and work on that bat speed...."Real Talk"

GET IN A GYM, USE SOFT CLOTH SOFTBALLS, AND PLAY SITUATIONAL SOFTBALL. IT HELPS TO RAISE THE SOFTBALL IQ OF THE WHOLE TEAM. ENDURANCE TRAINING IS THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO IN THE OFF SEASON. WE START OUT IN JANUARY AND IT REALLY HELPS US IN AUGUST AND SEPTEMBER.

Good ideas fellas...Any drills in particular?

i am a female i tore my ACL this was my first time back in four years. in between tht time i had a child and really could not rehab my knee. I did pretty good but I can tell it is still weak. What are some suggestion for off-season training.

do some exercising and rehabing in the pool for that knee.....

Re: Off-season Training (MS. DAT PLEASE REPLY BACK #@4 )

WHAT TYPE OF EXERCISES IN THE POOL SHOULD I DO THIS EVERYDAY. SOME PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A HOP WHEN I RUN BUT I TRY TO LIFT MY KNEE SOMETIMES IT IS HARD WITH THAT SLEEVE ON.

number1 what drills you got for bat speed??

Get close to a fence and stand away from it bat length and practice getting the bat head through the zone. Anybody who played baseball and had a good coach should know this drill. Learn this drill and I promise you that you will see a difference in your swing next year. Also, work on turning those wrists over when you swing. You really don't need alot of muscle to hit the ball over or hit hard liners, well you do need some strength, but it's all in technic! Work on your lower body strenth. alot of power comes from the legs in this game unless you swol to death. This is some "real talk" for you.....

oh, by the way, if your bat is hitting the fence, you aren't getting the bat head through the zone.

You could just shoot up like most of the people on the black circuit is doing now...BASA needs to start drug screening players before every tournament, but then again, we wont have a tournament then.

A drill that Derek Jeter does is take a what weight plate is comfortable for you, hold it like it was a bat and swing it for three sets

yeah, that's good too, but I willing to bet that all professional ball players do the drill that I'm describing because you work on getting the bat head through the zone....

Take Your Time

If you are not able to do pool work, you are going to need to start light and slow and work your way up doing leg extensions, leg curls and leg presses. Thats if you have access to a gym and these pieces, if not, you will need to do some balancing work on the leg that you hurt - i.e. standing on one foot to strengthen it. You will need to do stretching, legs out in front of you while in a sitting position, lying on your back, bring that knee into your chest (put your hands behind your knee to pull it toward you instead of putting your hands in front. Still on the back, put your hands on your calf muscle and pull the leg toward you, then put your hands on your toes and pull the leg toward you. Standing - do the quad stretches which help the front of the leg but will also help the knee.

What can you do off-sesson to make my arms stronger, I play outfield and I have a very weak arm, I have great speed in the outfield, good stick, but I can't throw @ a ball long @ all. Talk to me.

Pretty good drill here. Hold 5lb dumbbell in fist(palm down) Arm extended in front of you lower arm to belly button then raise no higher than shoulder level. Small weight, longer reps. Improves strength in rotator.

Thank you for that DM#18, I will try that and hope that it will work for me next sesson.

You can also put push-ups into your regular routine. Done correctly, they will strengthen the bicep/tricep/shoulders and back.

some dips will help too!

hey number 1 do you step and swing??????
or stand there feet shoulder lenght apart and swing???

If any of you are serious about steppin your game up i'd recomend taking a little out of Mike Machenko's off season workout routine. I know Larry Carter uses some of the exercises for himself. Go to BigCat844.com . Click on Hitting Zone, and there are a few things to get you started. There are some hitting tips to help you gain bat speed, and power at the end of your swing. Also a 9 week bench press routine. I'm a firm beliver that most athletes know their own bodies to understand how far to push themselves working out, so just do what you can but remember you get back the work you put in... Most of the important info is free on the website so use it...

Also Gina #3 (long toss) when warming up extend the distance you are having to throw the ball in upwards of 100-120ft. apart or more depending on your arm strenth now. After a good warm up continue to extend the distance between yourselves throwing the ball as long as you can. The key is to make the throwing motion long, this is to stretch the muscle, and make the arm stronger. soon you'll be tossin fools out from the warning track... This is a lost practice in softball for some reason all us hardball players know this...

The best training is 12oz lifts and 40oz lifts it builds good arm strenth.

Thank for that advice #17, I will try that off-sesson, because that is one of my weakness in Softball, I have power in my lower body, but my top is weak.