Be God's Helper Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Be God's Helper Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trust God's Love: Remember God Is With Us

“Presence” is life’s greatest gift. This is most obvious at times of great tragedy. When all helping actions have been taken, when all helping words have been spoken, all that remains is to be present with the person in need. As children our parent’s brought comfort by just being present. A major theme in the experience of God’s helpers as recorded in the Bible is the “with-us” or the “presence” of God. An earlier tradition pleaded for God to be present through prayer and ritual. A later tradition affirms that God is with us at all times and in all circumstances and we should live with that remembrance. What is it within ourselves that is fulfilled by external presence? Perhaps we long for a sense of connection or a feeling of being at-one with what is. For two-universe Christians it is the connection with that second assumed universe that gives comfort and assurance of being at-one. For one-universe Christians it is the connection with this universe that answers the same need. The mystery of life itself, the small yet significant role each person plays in the flow of living progress, and the vast and wonderful meanings that humans have created (including the second universe), all provide the comfort and assurance of being at-one with this universe and a vital part of the organism we call Earth. Our life is enriched when we remember that God by either definition is with us.

Email: d2mryan@verizon.net

Re: Trust God's Love: Remember God Is With Us

Dear David:

Thank you for this. It is very helpful, and I realize how much I miss all the interaction with my spiritual family. Your commentary on "Presence" is precious in its simplicity. Indeed, I can totally concur with the profoundness of this simple truth. It feels expansive within my heart and mind. I want to thank you for putting this into words, and into our consciousness, and onto the front burner, by removing the religiosity, and getting down to just the essence, baby, just the essence. Thank you for beating this drum! Speaking for myself, it validates what I felt intuitively, and once you get it intellectually, it continues to be a transforming exercise.

Sandra

Email: sandra.stutzman@hrh.com

Re: Trust God's Love: Remember God Is With Us

David, I thank you for your posting about "presence."

After Christmas, my partner and I spent 5 days in Granville, Ohio with his family. His mom is in hospice care in a nursing facility, suffering from advanced Altzheimer's. Her whole family is strangely undemonstrative physically, although supremely caring and demonstrative in their other behaviors. Though we visited Martha daily and spent exteneded time with her--difficult at best since conversation with her was not possible--my only way to be present with her was to sit quietly by her bed and gently hold her hand. But "present" with her we ALL were, since that was the only kind of helping we could possibly offer in the present situation.

I just wrote Marion that the real meaning of the Eucharist for me--apart from its beauty as drama and ritual--is the presence of the loving community of my church family and the sharing of it with them. Their presence makes of the Eucharist a kind of group therapy of the spirit, and gives sacramental depth to the invitation we recite: "Be known to us, Lord Jesus, in the breaking of the bread."

I think this posting should also bring some comfort to those who worry that being helpful must always "hurt." That constant guilt must be the alternative to constant rushing around trying to by helpful.

Let me tell you another story...

Back in 1982 my Spanish teacher colleague, Marjory, a truly good and lovely Christian Scientist, and I, a French teacher in the same high school, organized a marvelous trip to France and Spain. We had a fabulously diverse group of students and adults including even my partner and my parents, and, the dollar being very strong that summer, we really had a princely trip in terms of meals, accomodaions and excursions.

Anyway, Margory was the kind of person who just had to be helpful at every moment, and she would go up and down aisle of the bus asking if people wanted water or a mint or a cookie or a back rub. She was not beyond shaking dozing people awake in order to ask them if they needed anything! Finally, I called out to her as she was making another of her non-stop rounds, "Hey Marjory, how do you say in Spanish, sit down and be quiet?" Oblivious, she sweetly shouted back, "Siente se et calle te." (My Spanish is probably off, but you get the point!) All the kids roared with laughter, because most of them were her Spanish students.

So... Sit down, be quiet, be "present" is good advice.

Email: rclarsen@otponline.net