Be God's Helper Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Be God's Helper Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A move to the next step

I really like Debra's question and Bob's answer. The focus on being God's helper is wonderful. Yet there is such need in the world , it can feel overwhelming--as if we were ants trying to lift an elephant's weight. The Christian ideal of love and justice seems too high and it is easy to fall in a heap,especially under during this frantic season of Christmas "giving". I like Bob's word of caution about the need for moderation and balance. So necessary in our Christian "enthusiasms."

However, I am reminded of an exercise I do with the clients I counsel for addiction. They usually are "behind the eight ball" as far as realizing any of their dreams in life. So I ask them to day dream out loud. What would their perfect day be like? What would they be doing? Where would they be? Who would they be with? etc. etc. After doing this (which is usually quite fun), I ask them whether any of what they said is realized at all in their lives. "On a scale of 1 to 10, how near would you place yourself near your dream?" Usually the answer is "1 or 2". Then I ask them, what it would take to move up to "3"?
What practical steps would you take ?

As I think about Debra's comments, I wonder whether that would be a practical way of improving the way we are God's helpers. How can I move up just 1 step in the next few weeks or months( we can give ourselves any realistic time frame that works for us)?

I have to smile as a remember one client who was a salesman who wanted to be more artistic in his life. He decided he would spend just 10 minutes a day playing his guitar. He did that, and it was amazing how his smile got broader and broader in the next few weeks.

What would be comparable to doing one small thing to make us better helpers-- moving up one step to the next---in our Christian journey?

For me, it is really looking at that horrific painful picture of the burned baby in Eugene's powerful collage-- to take in that pain and ask God to help me alleviate pain in the way he wills.

But, today, I'm taking my cute little dog to a convalescent home to bring smiles to the faces of clients there. He does all the work and I get to take pleasure in his wagging tail and in the people's responses. What a fun way to be God's helper. "Our mouths are filled with laughter".

What do you guys think of this approach?

Email: mhlandlbl@msn.com

Re: A move to the next step

Marion, This approach is a way to look at it in a positive way. David's guide uses some of this by having us reflect on how we've been God's helper, even in small ways and then how can we plan to do a little more in the coming week. Raising our awarenes is so important, and sharing with others our success and failure is a great way to start learning how to play the guitar better.

Re: A move to the next step

Marion, I just love the way you relate to your clients in helpful and simple discourse with them. Your intuitive approach and innate "people skills" are always so creative and effective. When you can combine being helpful and receiving satisfaction and pleasure in doing so, I think you are onto a very good thing. Santo is your adorable helpmate in those fun convalescent home visits. Fun for you and fun for the patients.

In my shpere, so many people come up to us choir members and thank us for the joy, pleasure and inspiration afforded them by our efforts that I simply glow with a second round of satisfaction at being a part of it all. Other small helpful things I do as ministry aroung my church membership extract very little in the way of frenzy or hassle, but seem to be greatly appreciated as well. My charitable giving to church and other helpful organization neither bankrupts me nor impose hardship, but does put a "pinch" of awareness into my budget, as it should. And then there are always the "smiles and casseroles," to use Eugene's felicitous phrase.

Peace and be kind to each other. And don't forget to be kind to yourself!

Email: rclarsen@optonline.net