Return to Website

Karamursel Web Site Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Karamursel Web Site Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
transition

I kinda get stuck inone time period. 1968 to 71. a time when i left a place i didnt want to leave to a place i didn't want to go. 37 years later it comes back to me as avery important time in my life. i couldn't understand why we had to go. All i know is my father got new orders and we had to leave overseas. When we were driving away i remember looking back at our once home and thinking no more frog gigging no morecornfield adventures, no more of alot things i enjoyed doing. I kept it secret but i cried alot that day. I remember my dad sayin "were headed to Turkey everybody". I thought "were is Turkey?". When we arrived at Istanbul International airport it was cold and windy. The trip to KCDI was not uneventful. Many close calls and wrecks along the way. The road to Karamursel was called "the highway of death" i remember by the Turks.When we arrived at the front gate of the base we were by greeted by Turkish guards i think. We were let thru the gate and made a right turn towards some barracks. It was cold and there were no sheets on the bunkbeds in the room they gave us. Justa an old space heater and a small fridge. We adjusted to it and it was getting close to Christmas. this story will continue tomorrow. ~Thomas Tipton