Return to Website

Southern Maryland Music Scene - Audience Submitted Band Reviews

Welcome to:
Southern Marylands only devoted message forum where the audiences in the Southern Maryland music scene have the opportunity to express their views and opinions and tell everyone what they like and dislike about local bands and musicians that perform in the Southern Maryland music scene. It's moderated, so, remember the notes on the previouse page about slander and such!
Have fun and enjoy!
"SMMO"

Southern Maryland Music Scene - Audience Submitted Band Reviews
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pushstart

Hello Southern Maryland!
I recently went to see the group Pushstart at a live performance at Secrets Lounge here in Indian Head. Man, I just don't know where to start, As most of you know, the punk/hardcore/alternative, or however you wish to classify the genre is not my greatest interest, however, I was quite impressed with the bands overall performance, both stage prescence and musical production. Hell, they even made me tap my foot, and I even felt my head lunge forward at times, that takes a certain quality of performance to make me do that. Well, Pushstart got my attention this time, and drove the tunes at me hard and furious, non-stop.

First let me start with the basics of the groups performance. What we have here is 4 highly energetic individuals based out of Norhtern Va. (howdy neighbors) and the most talented musicians I've seen in the catagory.

Duncan - Vocals & Guitar
Joe - Bass Guitar
Bear - Guitar
Eddie - Drums

Now for the fine points:

The Sound: this band produces a very diverse range of sound in every song. From heavy power chords to melodic strumming, the music changes pace and tempo around every corner. I was quite impressed with the tightness that the band displays with their material, They all play the same song and they start and stop with each other, their timing is outstanding. They offer a few cover songs that totally blew me away because I kept saying to myself, "oh man, I didn't see that one coming!" Pushstart came to the stage packing some really unexpected covers like "99 Red Balloons" and "Little Red Corvette", now that's diversity at it's best, but, to hear the bands versions of these songs is truely a thing of beauty, the originals versions should have been done in the way Pushstart does them.
The bands original material totally sent me trough the roof with shock and aww, I found it hard to believe that this 4some was capable of producing such a hard hitting, and hard driving sound. if there is talent to be found in a local band, Pushstart has the musicians to do the job.

Stage Prescence:
I can say nomore, best live show I've seen in a long time. Pushstart offers non-stop animation on the stage at all times. Evey one these guys move on their own and it almost seems like they are having some convultionous seizure. It's just an awesome show right from the start.

I should expect to see these guys in concert at major venues in the very near future and I also expect to hear them on the radio more and more in the future aswell. If a rep doesn't offer Pushstart a signing, then there is no rep out there who knows that they're passing up a really item. They have a 12 song CD available titled "Zero", I suggest you pick up a copy today and if you want to see these guys before you have to pay $100 for the ticket at the MCI Center, I suggest you visit their website for the nest performance date at: www.pushstartmusic.com

City/Town Southern Maryland

Name Of Band Reviewed: Pushstart

Date Of Performance: March 19, 2004

Place Of Performance Secrets: Indian Head